The 100 (The 100 #1) FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 4645
Fast-Paced and Entertaining
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What I Liked:
Word on the street is that The 100 is set to be a show on the CW. Now, I don't know if it's for certain yet or not, but I can see this making a really great teen show. The reason I'm starting this book review with this particular comment is to help you understand whether you'll enjoy reading the book. If you enjoy CW teen programming with a little bit of a plot and a big heaping helping of teen angst over the top, then The 100 is a good choice for a quick, entertaining read.

Morgan uses four third person limited perspectives in The 100: Clarke, Wells, Bellamy, and Glass. Just try and guess their genders based on their names alone! Hint: the first and last are females. Actually, speaking of gender, that's one of the things that I think The 100 did fairly well. Women are not entirely marginalized in this futuristic society, which is a nice change from so much science fiction and dystopian stuff out there. Clarke's actually one of the stronger characters and Glass, though I didn't like her, does make choices for herself.

Anyway, these teens live on a spaceship and things are kind of a hot mess on board. There are rules about who can have kids, and capital punishment is really popular with the government. All four of the main characters, except for Bellamy, are Confined, basically imprisoned until their eighteenth birthdays which are rapidly approaching. At that point, they're to have a retrial, but that's just a formality, because no one's being found innocent at retrials anymore. Harsh, man.

So the point is that 100 of the teens from Confinement are going to be put on a ship and sent to earth to make sure it's habitable again (more on that later). Then there are some shenanigans and Glass ends up staying on the ship, allowing the reader to find out about all of the drama happening there, and Bellamy gets himself onto the prison ship. The ship goes down to earth and the rebellious teens start in on the romantic drama and trying to set up a rudimentary society, only they're a) rebellious and b) basing their knowledge of how society works off of the ship. All of this means things get pretty serious fast and it's totally a popcorn read.

What saves The 100 from being merely a surface read and builds out a bit of depth are the flashbacks in every chapter. These flashbacks show how the teens ended up in Confinement, and slowly reveal how desperate the situation on the ship had gotten. They really raise the stakes and the intensity, as you realize how far each one of these teens is willing to go.

What Left Me Wanting More:
As much fun as The 100 is to read, I had some issues with the world building, in that I would like more of it. I mean, the reader does learn that there was some sort of nuclear something or other and Earth is now irradiated. While they're waiting for the radiation to dissipate, they're chilling on this ship. Supposedly the radiation is maybe down to livable levels. What I want to know is roughly how long they've been on the ship and how they got there. Was there a plan in place to escape before things went haywire like in Phoebe North's Starglass? There's really no inkling of that.

Also, most of the characters are pretty terrible people, which means that I really don't care if they live or die. Even the nicest of them is such a terrible judge of character that I don't really care what happens to him either. I still had fun reading about them, but there's definitely no emotional investment here, for me anyway.

The Final Verdict:
The 100 is the bookish equivalent of a teen TV show, complete with romantic drama, shirtless boys and action scenes. It's fun and a nice choice for when you don't want to have to think too hard, and sometimes that's just the kind of book you need, you know?
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
September 01, 2013
This does sound like it'd make a really show. I'd watch it for sure. Somehow I hadn't heard of this one before, so thanks for the heads-up :]
It doesn't sound like it'll be my next favorite read, but it does sound pretty entertaining.
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

0.0 (0)
Kings become outcasts and lovers become foes in The Faithless...
Zora's Zucchini

0.0 (0)
The first zucchini of a summer garden is always exciting,...
Libby Loves Science

0.0 (0)
Libby loves science! In this STEM-themed picture book, a companion...
The Hidden Rainbow

0.0 (0)
All the colors of the rainbow are hidden in the...
The Places We Sleep

0.0 (0)
A family divided, a country going to war, and a...
Chasing Starlight

0.0 (0)
Movies, mansions, and murder in the Golden Age of Hollywood!...

0.0 (0)
Midwestern high school seniors and swim teammates Alli and Brandon...

0.0 (0)
True love has never been more deadly in this lush...
Kamala and Maya's Big Idea

0.0 (0)
Meena Harris debuts with an empowering picture book about two...
Harvey Holds His Own (The Harvey Stories, #2)

0.0 (0)
The West Highland Terrier that brought Harvey Comes Home to...
Everything I Thought I Knew

0.0 (0)
A teenage girl wonders if she’s inherited more than just...

Latest Member Reviews

The Confidence Code for Girls

"The Confidence Code for Girls is an empowering read every girl should have in their arsenal. So many girls struggle..."
Things to Do Before You're 30: The Try-It Out, Get-It-Done, Live-It-Up List!

"When I heard about the book THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU’RE 30 by Jessica Misener, I knew I had to..."
Dr. Susan's Girls-Only Weight Loss Guide

"This book gave me some really good advice about how to lose weight. It has been the only book I've..."
Words of Wisdom for Warriors and Stories of Encouragement

"If you're looking to get inspired and motivated, I would recommend this mini handbook. We all need a pep talk..."

"Reader reviewed by SWC One word sums it up INSPIRATIONAL.S.Dodson did an awesome job with Teen Girls Need L.O.V.E...."

"Reader reviewed by Emmaline I have read many teen books on starting up my own business, but this book, Teens..."

"Reader reviewed by Emmaline I have read many teen books on starting up my own business, but this book, Teens..."
Hearts On Fire

"Reader reviewed by Sevenbillion Hearts On Fire is a fabulous book to read and disgust easily. I enjoyed the stories..."

"Reader reviewed by Raghavan Jayaprakash, Author of " Life Blossoms Like a Rose in Thorns" Review by B.K.Walker sent to..."

"Reader reviewed by Jayan "Life Blossoms Like a Rose in Thorns" is a work of fiction about Smitha, who..."
The Freedom Writers Diary

"Reader reviewed by shannon! This book captures your attention, no matter how much you like or dislike reading. You..."

"Reader reviewed by thatwemightfly I was a little wary of reading this as I hadn't read the first in the..."
Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul: 101 Stories of Life, Love and Learning

"Reader reviewed by Navneet The Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul! By: Jack Canfield Disses,..."
30 Days to Getting over the Dork You Used to Call Your Boyfriend: A Heartbreak Handbook

"Reader reviewed by vicky This book is amazing in many ways...it connect to young girls and growing up as a..."

"Reader reviewed by Sidra I absolutely LOVE this book! It talks about teens and their challenges with BFFS, GF/BF and..."

"Reader reviewed by lulabell0513 A great book. Perfect for after an emotional upset, or just a rainy day. This book..."

"Reader reviewed by BooksObsession Summary: This devotional for teenage girls is packed full with personal stories from the author, related..."

"Reader reviewed by Khy This is the year that Natthe go-between, the peacemakergets a job and meets a drop-dead gorgeous..."

"Reader reviewed by looneytunez8 The Chicken Soup series are always something to look forward to. These books are so inspirational..."

TM Terry Miller Shannon
"We've all got a few good tips to make life easier, passed on by a friend or family member, or..."