Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2787
The Truth About You & Me
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Before I start discussing The Truth About You and Me I need to point out something. I wasn't familiar with the fact Amanda Grace is a pen name for Mandy Hubbard! :O I didn't see this one coming till I read about the author in the end of the book. I understand why she would have a pen name. Amanda's books are darker, realistic YA novels than Mandy's usual bubbly and fun stories. Either way, I will check out Amanda's other books soon.

Madelyn is one of those super smart people who get the chance to go to college earlier, skip grades and whatnot. She feels like she can never be as good as her brother, who's going to one of those well-known universities. Her father is always pushing her to do better and Madelyn is not so happy about it. Everything changes when she meets Bennet, her bio professor.

Bennet thinks Madelyn is a 19 year-old college student. They fall in love but he doesn't take any actions until the class he's teaching her ends. Madelyn has never been in love before Bennet and she doesn't tell him she's only sixteen. I liked Bennet more than Madelyn because even if it was wrong for a student to date a teacher, he did do the right thing and waited until they no longer were in that position while Madelyn kept lying. The reason I didn't like her is that she's clearly smart and yet she was stupid enough to think that kind of relationship would ever work.

The Truth About You and Me reminds me of one of my all-time favorite books - Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick. It's another book about teacher-student relationship, Sadly, it wasn't as good as Bick's. While Bick wrote a book which seemed more mature, Grace's appeared still too childish.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...
The Brightsiders

0.0 (0)
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out,...
IMG_4918.jpg

0.0 (0)
The black X of the Aramach Rebels marks the...
City of Beasts

0.0 (0)
"If you see a beast, and you have the...
The Grace Year

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden....
The Fractured Empire

0.0 (0)
The Ceithren Empire is finally at peace, but for...
The Survival List

0.0 (0)
Sloane Weber is devastated when her older sister dies...
To Kill a Kingdom

0.0 (0)
This action-packed YA debut pits a deadly siren princess and...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA fantasy...
Kingdom of Souls

0.0 (0)
Magic has a price—if you’re willing to pay. The...
A Warm Friendship

0.0 (0)
"This heartwarming story deals with friendship, empathy, caring, nurturing and...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two young...
Abraham Lincoln: The Making of America #3

0.0 (0)
The third installment of the Making of America series, Abraham...
Tiger Queen

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
From Annie Sullivan, author of A Touch of Gold,...

Latest Member Reviews

Firebrand (Steeplejack #2)

"Now working as a private detective/spy, Ang may be living a financially healthier life than her years a steeplejack, but..."
Silver Stars (Front Lines)

"I really enjoyed reading the first book in this series, Front Lines, so I was really excited for this sequel...."
The Turncoat's Gambit

"THE TURNCOAT’S GAMBIT by Andrea Cremer is the conclusion of an alt-history trilogy that examines the what-ifs of a failure..."
Silver Stars (Front Lines)

"Just wowza. I'm a huge fan of FRONT LINES, the first book in the series. This series is an..."
Wolf By Wolf

"Intriguing take on 'what would have happened if Hitler had won the war'. Add to that a wicked paranormal..."
The Monster War (The League of Seven #3)

"Archie Dent is not up for an adventure right now, having found out his origins in The League of Seven..."
The Changer's Key (A Riddle in Ruby #2)

"After the events of A RIDDLE IN RUBY, Ruby Teach is now in the custody of the man she was..."
Smoke

"In historical England, people give off Smoke. It is generally accepted that this Smoke is a product of sin, and..."
Plus One

"Elizabeth Fama sets her novel, PLUS ONE, in a segregated world where half of the population lives and works in..."
The Only Thing to Fear

"History has taken an awful twist in THE ONLY THING TO FEAR. Hitler and his cronies have taken over the..."
Front Lines

"I usually avoid reading WWII novels, whether they are young adult or non-fiction, because I don’t like how they all..."
Front Lines

"An alternate history story of World War 2 where women are eligible to be drafted after a court ruling. Front..."
Front Lines

"In this alternate history, women are subject to being drafted and can enlist during World War II. Three of the..."
Rebel Mechanics

"In the year 1818, Alasdair Finch lives in a world where men have mechanical parts and live hidden away with..."
Newt's Emerald

"Regency London? Check. Magic? Check. Adventures? Check. Cross-dressing girls? Check. I wasn’t sure..."
Ink And Bone: The Great Library

"Travel Companion: If we traveled with the main character Jess Brightwell, he would be: The Scholar ..."
Ink And Bone: The Great Library

"Rachel Caine delivers an intriguing new series in an alternative world where the Great Library of Alexandria has survived. ..."
The Vanishing Island (Chronicles of the Black Tulip #1)

"Bren Owen is bored of his small town, Map. He wants excitement, adventure, and to sail the seas. When a..."
Rebel Mechanics

"This was one book I enjoyed thoroughly. I saw the cover and was interested right away. The tagline, all's fair..."
Rebel Mechanics

"I absolutely adored Rebel Mechanics. The voice is so strong throughout the story, and there is a perfect amount of..."