Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2087
Jennifer Donnelly needs to write more and faster!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Revolution is one of those rare books that both adults and teens can read and still see how wonderful it is.

I usually have a hunch when it comes to buying books published before 2011 and almost always get it right. Back then, the YA community was still trying to find a firm ground and there weren’t many desperate “authors” who would write about anything just so they could poison our minds. Jennifer Donnelly is one of the few that actually knows how to write a good, quality book rather than those books where your new boyfriend helps you to get rid of all your problems and worries. I don’t think there’s ever been a book which made me cry so many times. I cried 4 times in the first 100 pages and that says a lot because this book had 472 pages of pure emotions on paper.

Our protagonist Andi is still battling with the death of her ten-year-old brother Truman so she turns to drugs and alcohol. So, Andi accompanies her father to Paris for a couple of days so she could write her senior thesis on Amade Malherbeau, a French musician. There she discovers a hidden compartment in a guitar case that can be opened with her brother’s key. The diary that was hidden in it is from a girl, Alexandrine Paradis, who wrote it two centuries ago.

Even though girls lived 2 centuries apart they still have a lot in common. While Andi is dealing with the guilt over her brother’s death, Alex is trying to save a little prince from a certain death. Through Alex’s daily battle Andi finds the strength to go on with her life and not just wait for it to end.

What I love about this book that it combines historical (which I don’t usually read) and contemporary fiction so easily you can feel like you’re living in the middle of the French Revolution and running around the modern day Paris.

Revolution is one of the best books I’ve read-ever. This is a must read for everyone! Well, actually not everyone, since some people don’t have taste and only enjoy in reading nonsense.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account