Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2938
Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I read this book at the second most perfect time one could. Of course, the obvious best time is at the very beginning before diving into the other books of the series. I knew it was about Daemon's brother and I honestly didn't see Dawson playing more of a roll than just some back story. I figured I would just read it once I finished with the series as a fun side story. Well, Opal features a LOT about Dawson and I chose to read Shadows right before I jumped into Opal. Wise choice, really. A wiser choice would have been to stay with Shadows and go through the books in order but... I digress.

Shadows starts with Dawson and Bethany meeting and falling in love. Their relationship almost seems too easy when you compare it to the relationship between Kat and Daemon. I almost like the teasing insults between Kat and Daemon to the confessions of love and devotion from Dawson and Bethany. Bethany is the first human to form a relationship with the mysterious Luxen people. Her relationship with Dawson causes the Luxen to be completely up in arms and resentful of Dawson rocking the boat, so to speak. Why can't he just fall for a nice Luxen girl, they demand, instead of essentially mixed species dating?

I see Daemon's hatred of humans in Shadows and it really makes me want to go back through the first two books I have read and watch how his opinion slowly changes. How ALL the Luxen change due to Dawson's romance with Bethany. Do they become more accepting? More resentful? More cautious? I seem to remember some of these changes when they were made obvious but not with the same fine-toothed comb analysis that I could possibly do after reading this prequel.

Of course, I liked Shadows. Was there any doubt? While it didn't feature my favorite book blogger character, Kat, it still had some Daemon snippets and I got to acquaint myself with a new book boyfriend, Dawson. It was very similar to Obsidian but Kat and Daemon definitely have more fire between them that is irresistible. There were some sexual innuendo in the book that made me choke on my drink once or twice. All in all, another A+ for Jennifer L. Armentrout's witty and robust writing.

Shadows is the perfect beginning to a perfect series. It sheds light on situations in the sequential novels that the reader may not have gotten without it. It features a less than prominent character and shows how significant his appearance in the books truly was. Masterful.

Review Posted on: http://www.ladybugliterature.blogspot.com
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

0.0 (0)
Kings become outcasts and lovers become foes in The Faithless...
Zora's Zucchini

0.0 (0)
The first zucchini of a summer garden is always exciting,...
Libby Loves Science

0.0 (0)
Libby loves science! In this STEM-themed picture book, a companion...
The Hidden Rainbow

0.0 (0)
All the colors of the rainbow are hidden in the...
The Places We Sleep

0.0 (0)
A family divided, a country going to war, and a...
Chasing Starlight

0.0 (0)
Movies, mansions, and murder in the Golden Age of Hollywood!...

0.0 (0)
Midwestern high school seniors and swim teammates Alli and Brandon...

0.0 (0)
True love has never been more deadly in this lush...
Kamala and Maya's Big Idea

0.0 (0)
Meena Harris debuts with an empowering picture book about two...
Harvey Holds His Own (The Harvey Stories, #2)

0.0 (0)
The West Highland Terrier that brought Harvey Comes Home to...
Everything I Thought I Knew

0.0 (0)
A teenage girl wonders if she’s inherited more than just...

Latest Member Reviews

Poems to Live Your Life By

"POEMS TO LIVE YOUR LIFE BY is a collection in which each poem has been hand-picked by Chris Riddell, for..."
When the World Didn’t End: Poems

"Caroline Kaufman, otherwise known as @poeticpoison, has published her latest poems in WHEN THE WORLD DIDN’T END. The collection, which..."
What is Poetry? The Essential Guide to Reading and Writing Poems

"WHAT IS POETRY: THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO READING AND WRITING POEMS by Michael Rosen is a nonfiction, how-to book intended..."
Poetry 101

"POETRY 101 by Susan Dalzell is a comprehensive introduction to poetry written in the English language. The book takes us..."
You/Poet: Learn the Art. Speak Your Truth. Share Your Voice.

"YOU/POET by Rayna Hutchison and Samuel Blake, the folks from HER HEART POETRY, is a tremendous gift to writers everywhere...."
Crank (Crank #1)

"The protagonist and narrator is Kristina Georgia Snow, a straight A high school student, who travels to Albuquerque, New Mexico..."
Crank (Crank #1)

"In Crank raw pain, a deepening addiction, and a crumbling family come together to tell a real, powerful story. I..."

"This is a very good book. it's one of the best poetry I've ever read. It displays peoples feelings. The..."
One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies

N/A
"should ture of diced tomatoes1 lbs. Shelled shrimp (51/60 calculate)2 teaspoon. Creole spices1 1/4 cup quite wheat blonde rice2 mugs..."
Tricks

"OMG talk about a bumpy ride on an emotional path! I felt like this book showed me places I am..."
Burned (Burned #1)

"Ellen Hopkins has done it again! The stories that she brings to life are amazing! These are stories that we..."
Burned (Burned #1)

"I sat down, right before dinner, meaning to read a few of the poems in Burned, just see what Ellen..."
Crank (Crank #1)

"Books in verse are not my favorite, but Ellen Hopkins manages to get me hooked regardless of that fact. ..."
October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard

"Though it is a quick read, this book is deep and profound. A series of poems written in memory of..."
Crank (Crank #1)

KayKay
"I just got addicted to Crank. That's ironic, even though I was just talking about the book. But I seriously..."
Crank (Crank #1)

" So I read this book last weekend. I had gotten it from the library after seeing it on the..."
Rubber Houses

"Seventeen-year-old Kit has her life all planned out. Between her AP classes, social life, and plans to spend the summer..."

"When I'm reading a book that I plan on reviewing, I turn down the corners of pages with lines I..."
One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies

"We meet Ruby at the airport, where she is flying across the country to meet and live with her father..."

""The comfort of knowing" The truth is, as interpreted in the poetic musings and documentations in David Levithan's verse..."