Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 5347
Action-Packed and Emotionally Charged Sequel!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Thank you C.J. Redwine for the near heart attack. Seriously, it was awesome.

Three things you should know before reading DECEPTION:

1) People die.

2) It's an excellent sequel!

3) More people die.

Best Case Scenario: You will love this! DECEPTION is the intense follow up to DEFIANCE, offering near non-stop action, suspense and romance as it delivers one swift blow to the feels after the other. Cinematic world-building sucks you right back into the story told from both Rachel and Logan's POV as they fight to survive another trek through the Wasteland. This time they aren't alone and not only are they fighting an invisible enemy who strikes under the shadow of darkness, Rachel and Logan are also fighting internal battles, ones with the potential to do more damage than the Cursed One and the Commander combined.

If Logan is Captain Scenario, Rachel is Queen of Denial because girlfriend does a fantastic job of pretending certain things do not bother her. But I get that, I do. Grief is a major buzzkill and really, where is the fun in dealing with stuff that makes you hurt worse than a switch to the face or threatens to leave you a hollowed out shell? (Been there. Done that. Don't care to go for a visit.) But while Rachel's busy not feeling all her feelings, Logan's trying to take care of her and lead a group of misfit refugees more concerned about who grew up on the wrong side of the trees instead of you know, SURVIVING. (I think Moses had an easier time leading the Israelites out of Egypt.)

Like most bad guys, the things we try so.very.hard to push away eventually catch up to us and when they do, we're faced with a choice. We can either allow them to destroy us or restore us making us stronger than we used to be. The same holds true for Rachel and Logan as their circumstances demand that they face their fears. Does that mean everything is all rainbows and unicorns? Of course not. In fact, if you're C.J. Redwine, it's a great opportunity to make more people pay, with.their.lives. O.O

I can't wait to see what happens next!

Worst Case Scenario: You won't like this. OR the ending will gut you like a fish Willow catches with her bare hands, the tree lover that you are will balk at the insufficient amount of Quinn-time. This is just an educated guess though, based on the primary factors of...okay, I think you get my point.

Final Verdict: Action-packed and emotionally charged, DECEPTION is excellent sequel. DEFIANCE fans will not be disappointed!

Favorite Quote(s): "Maybe that's what love is. Giving others the power to hurt you and trusting that they'll use it to heal you instead."
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Discovering the Underground with Snow White (Fairytale Encyclopedia)

0.0 (0)
There are not only dwarves in the underground. This hidden...
Rock by Rock: The Fantastical Garden of Nek Chand

0.0 (0)
This luminous picture book tells the fascinating true story of...
Bisa's Carnaval

0.0 (0)
Discover the sights and sounds of Brazil through the eyes...
Redemptor (Raybearer, #2)

0.0 (0)
The highly anticipated sequel to Raybearer, the instant New York...
Dark and Shallow Lies

0.0 (0)
A teen girl disappears from her small town deep in...
Imposters

5.0 (1)
Frey and Rafi are inseparable . . . but very...
Better Than the Movies

5.0 (1)
Liz Buxbaum has always known that Wes Bennett was not...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

5.0 (1)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

5.0 (1)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...

Latest Member Reviews

Taking Care of Mama Rabbit

"When Mama Rabbit falls ill, it's up to Papa Rabbit to go get medicine and her children to make her..."
Off the Record

"Content warnings: rape, sexual harassment, sexual abuse Once upon a time, I had an ambition to become a journalist...."
American Betiya

"WHAT I LOVED: Rani is your modern Indian girl with some serious photography skills. Oliver is a gifted artistv..."
Six Crimson Cranes

"Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim is a beautifully written fairy tale that whisks the reader away from reality to..."
Roar of the Beast (Cardboard Kingdom #2)

"As Halloween approached, the Cardboard Kingdom characters are getting ready, but there are problems. Elijah is worried that his stepbrother..."

"Sam and Isla are twins. They often give fabulous dinner parties at their grandmother's fancy NYC apartment. When their grandmother..."
A Time of Fear: America in the Era of Red Scares and Cold War

"Starting with Vladimir Lenin's evolution in the early 1900s, Marrin gives a really complete overview of Communism and the reaction..."
Unbound: The Life and Art of Judith Scott

"Bornin 1943, twins Judith and Joyce Scott were close. They played with dolls and tea sets, and had adventures outside...."
Nosotros Means Us: Un cuento bilingüe

"NOSOTROS MEANS US is a beautiful bilingual picture book about the enduring and unconditional love between mother and child. The..."
I Am Not a Penguin

"I AM NOT A PENGUIN is a silly picture book that manages to teach young readers about pangolins. A pangolin..."
A House for Every Bird

"A HOUSE FOR EVERY BIRD is an imaginative picture book that emphasizes the importance of not making assumptions about birds..."
American Betiya

"AMERICAN BETIYA is a breathtaking contemporary read about identity, family, and racism. Rani is an Indian American with dreams of..."
Elevator Bird

"ELEVATOR BIRD is a cute picture book about making your friends' dreams come true. Elevator Bird is an essential part..."
On the Go Awesome

"ON THE GO AWESOME is a great pick for vehicle lovers. The book talks about different types of vehicles, including..."
Full Disclosure

"Simone is ready for a new start. She's at a new school, joined the drama department, and has developed a..."
A Wolf for a Spell

"Zima is struggling to adjust to the new dynamics of her pack ever since her parents died in a fire..."
DEV1AT3

"Feedback What a difference between book 1 and book 2. I enjoyed this one so much more, and I..."

"If your expecting the same type of books that you’ve been reading in this series, you’d be wrong. This whole..."
The Book Thief

"This book was so good that I cried in the end. Yes, literally. Markus Zusak's writing is clear, bold, and..."
A Cloud of Outrageous Blue

"A CLOUD OF OUTRAGEOUS BLUE is a historical fiction read that takes the reader to 1348-1349. Edyth grew up with..."