Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1063
Edge of Truth
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I read a lot of dystopian fiction, so much that I sometimes find myself on the verge of boredom just because so much of what’s available is a lot like all the other dystopians out there. Finding one that’s actually different has become something of a personal quest and I’m happy to say that Edge of Truth satisfied my small craving in a big way. How did it do that? I’m so glad you asked ;)

Most of these books are filled with heroics of one kind or another. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but wouldn’t you like one where the teens are pretty much wrapped up in themselves and the bad guys are not pretending that what they do is for the good of everyone else? Well, look no further ’cause here it is.

Rena is a girl I could relate to, a bit self-absorbed, complaining about her home life but grudgingly wanting to be part of the family, devoted to her BFF, Blaze. She’s also afflicted with a strange power that she can’t control and she has a massive crush on a boy she hasn’t even met. With all that, Rena is singleminded in her determination to escape this despotic society for what we can only call greener pastures, even though she has no idea if those “pastures” would be any better. When she discovers an amazing source of things to sell so she can save money for her big move, she has no reluctance to share with Blaze but, otherwise, there’s little or no interest in sharing with anyone else. I’m not slamming her for that, just pointing out that she’s refreshingly selfish.

It doesn’t take long for the wrong guy to notice and that’s when Rena and Blaze are thrown into a world of greed and crime. It’s this element that makes Edge of Truth different from the pack and adds a certain touch of interest not found in many dystopian novels. I’m a fan of mysteries so it’s not surprising I would appreciate the criminal aspect here and I found it refreshing to have a bad guy who’s not pretending to think he knows what’s best for all the people—he’s only interested in how this treasure trove can benefit him personally.

For the most part, Ms. Hanova has done a really nice job with her character development. Rena is both annoying and loveable and Blaze is the perfect foil, the quintessential goody two shoes who sticks by her rule-breaking friend no matter what. Nevan is a worthy crush and I could happily spend more time with Trace. Along with all the seemingly admirable people, I also appreciated how well-drawn the bad guy is and the Synbots definitely gave me a chill.

Worldbuilding is thin and that’s really the only substantial shortcoming. I need to know a lot more about how this society came to be and a better sense of where Hollowcrest, Eden and Westrock are and how things look. The Others are essentially a puzzle to me, not only in their specific powers but in who they are and what happens when they disappear. Overlord Andrick is so remote as to be little more than a picture on the wall and, yet, he’s of supreme importance in Rena’s life so, please, tell me more!

I also felt the ending was a bit lacking in “oomph” but perhaps I’ve become too accustomed to a cliffhanger ending. I don’t know if Ms. Hanova intends to make this a series but, if she chooses to leave this as a standalone, that will be disappointing but okay (although I really would like to read more!)

And never fear—there is a bit of heroism here, too ;)
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

My Love is All Around

0.0 (0)
Mommy Bear shows Baby Bear how love is all around...
I'm not a Mouse!

0.0 (0)
Olivia really doesn't like her nickname - mostly because it...
My Panda Sweater

0.0 (0)
The other kids may laugh, but I always feel safe...
One Day on our Blue Planet... In the Outback

0.0 (0)
From breakfast to dinner, dusk to dawn, children will love...
Mrs Bibi's Elephant

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming story with a message as big as an...
The State of Us

0.0 (0)
"Dre and Dean have got my vote!"—Adib Khorram, award-winning...
My Calamity Jane

0.0 (0)
Welcome to 1876 America, a place bursting with gunslingers,...
Little Creeping Things

0.0 (0)
A compulsively readable debut with a narrator you just...
Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Brea Robinson is a murderer. That’s what everyone tells...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Artemis Fowl: Guide to the World of Fairies

0.0 (0)
This beautifully illustrated novel is a compendium of Artemis Fowl's...
The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)

0.0 (0)
Les Misérables meets Six of Crows in this page-turning...
Personalized Notebook Doodles Adorable Pets Coloring Book

0.0 (0)
From hamsters and hermit crabs to cats and canaries, you'll...
The Last Summer

0.0 (0)
For the first eleven years of their lives, neighbors Lila...
The Falling in Love Montage

0.0 (0)
Two girls embark on a summer of montage-worthy dates (with...
Super Puzzletastic Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America

0.0 (0)
Bestselling author Chris Grabenstein and the Mystery Writers of America...

Latest Member Reviews

My Love is All Around

"MY LOVE IS ALL AROUND is a sweet book about love between parent and child and the many ways in..."
I'm not a Mouse!

"I'M NOT A MOUSE! is a cute picture book about nicknames. Olivia's mother always calls her mouse, and she doesn't..."
My Panda Sweater

"MY PANDA SWEATER is a lovely book about the way that clothes can affect us. A young girl loves her..."
One Day on our Blue Planet... In the Outback

"ONE DAY ON OUR BLUE PLANET... IN THE OUTBACK is a picture book that follows a red kangaroo joey through..."
Mrs Bibi's Elephant

"MRS BIBI'S ELEPHANT is a sweet story about the special place we have in our hearts for our pets. Mrs...."
Artemis Fowl: Guide to the World of Fairies

""Written" by dwarf Nord Diggums with contributions from experts in the field of magical creatures such as Professor Ivana Therey..."
Super Puzzletastic Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America

"Short story collections are hard to review, especially when one includes so many fantastic authors! My students will be glad..."
Daniela and the Pirate Girls

"DANIELA AND THE PIRATE GIRLS is a fun high-seas adventure about helping others and making new friends. Daniela is the..."
Child of Galaxies

"CHILD OF GALAXIES is a lovely poem about life and the broad meaning of it all. The poem begins by..."
Shy Ones

"SHY ONES is a sweet look at friendship and the people (or sea creatures) who are shy. The story is..."
Once Upon an Eid

"This collection has a wide variety of stories about different aspects of Eid, and is particularly poignant during this time..."
Slamdown Town

"Ollie is in 6th grade and is small for his age. His older brother, Hollis, is in 8th, and has..."
Ragweed and Poppy

"RAGWEED AND POPPY is an interesting middle grade novel that follows Ragweed, a mouse who is on a journey. Ragweed..."
The Right Place

"THE RIGHT PLACE is a picture book that stresses the importance of friends and home. Squirrel wakes up after a..."
I'm Sorry!

"I'M SORRY! is a fantastic picture book about apologizing and compromise. Swoop and Scribble are an owl and squirrel who..."
It's Impossible!

"IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! is a delightful road trip picture book that asserts things are only impossible if you say that they..."
The More We Get Together

"THE MORE WE GET TOGETHER takes the song and adds verses about how children can change the world. The book..."
Good Night, Moon 123 / Buenas Noches, Luna 123: A Counting Book / Un Libro para Contar

"GOODNIGHT, MOON 123 / BUENAS NOCHES, LUNA 123 is a fun counting book themed from the bedtime favorite, GOODNIGHT MOON...."
The Hideout

"If you are a fan of “Where the Wild Things Are” you will love “The Hideout” written by Susanna Mattiangeli..."
Circus Girl

"CIRCUS GIRL is a book about Sky, who dreams of being the star of the circus. The book begins when..."