Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2886
The Reece Malcolm List
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

In spite of the fact that this is really not my kind of book, I ended up enjoying The Reece Malcolm List quite a lot. For me it was a totally hugabble book with great characters and an engaging storyline. The only downside was that I pretty much wanted to kill the love interest with fire. But, y’know, it wasn’t the worst thing ever. After this, I will definitely be looking out for more of Amy Spalding’s novels.

The novel’s protagonist, Devan, is a theater/choir kid, which I thought was really cool. I loved how passionate she was about her hobbies and realistic about her talent. To be honest, that whole culture isn’t something I’m part of, so I was kind of looking into a whole new group of people, so that made things really interesting. In general, I thought The Reece Malcom List did a great job showing life in show choir, musicals, etc., and the group of friends Devan found for herself was really endearing, even though they had some difficulties (like any clique, I’m sure.)

And as a character, I liked Devan a lot. After her dad died, she gets shipped out to LA to live with the Pulitzer-winning mother she’s never met, who turns out to have an awesome boyfriend and an entire life of her own. Devan, naturally, feels a bit awkward in her new home, since it’s pretty clear that her mother isn’t jumping for joy over having her there. The mother-daughter relationship was pretty much the entire reason I wanted to read this book, and I’m very happy to report that Spalding completely sold the development and growth of Reece and Devan’s relationship throughout the book. It was honestly my favorite part of The Reece Malcolm List.

But like most YA books, there’s also a romance side of the plot, and I just…ew. Devan’s love interest (for a little bit there’s a love triangle but it was subtle and realistic and not-annoying)—anyway, her love interest just did not work for me. In my opinion, he needed to be roasted over a luau pit while Devan did her own thing instead of settling for that loser. I mean, I’m glad there were no declarations of love, and I honestly don’t see it being a lasting relationship, but that guy was pretty awful and immature and I didn’t like him. At all.

But aside from the relationship I didn’t buy into, this book was awesome. It was funny and charming in all the right places, and serious and touching in other spots. Amy Spalding did an awesome job with The Reece Malcolm List, and I’m really glad I got to read it. Seriously, this is a really great book.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...
Wild River

0.0 (0)
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of...
The Last Hurrah

0.0 (0)
3 nights, 2 days, and 1 massive music fest ....

Latest Member Reviews

The Night Circus

"I couldn’t begin to express how much I adore this book. This book, magically, soothed my temper and let me..."
Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

"WINGS OF EBONY is a beautifully crafted YA fantasy. A year has passed since Rue's life was irrevocably changed. Her..."
The Gilded Ones (Deathless #1)

"THE GILDED ONES by Namina Forna is a YA fantasy novel and the first book in the Deathless series. The..."
Unchosen

"UNCHOSEN is a fantastic and completely captivating YA apocalyptic fantasy, filled with feminism, friendship, sisterhood, and romance. Charlotte is the..."
In the Penalty Box

"IN THE PENALTY BOX is a cute YA contemporary hockey romance. Willow is a figure skater heading for the Olympics,..."
The Afterlife of the Party (Afterlife, #1)

"THE AFTERLIFE OF THE PARTY is a YA vampire book for anyone who doesn't want to make out with the..."
The Alcazar (The Cerulean, #2)

"THE ALCAZAR wraps up an intriguing YA fantasy duology. The book continues to follow four main characters in alternating points-of-view,..."
Super Fake Love Song

"Super Fake Love Song is about Sunny Dae, a Korean American teenager who is a mega-nerd trying to survive at..."
Hot British Boyfriend

"Ellie lives in Washington D.C. and attends an elite school, even though the tuition is a stretch for her single..."
The Cerulean

"THE CERULEAN is an intriguing start to a YA fantasy duology. The book begins with Sera, a Cerulean who has..."
Tales from the Hinterland

"TALES FROM THE HINTERLAND is an enchanting, haunting, and deliciously creepy collection of fairytales. Completely new and unlike anything I..."
You Owe Me a Murder

" *Connor is Deaf and has implants *Alex has light brown skin..."
Across the Green Grass Fields

"I love the Wayward Children series, and the latest installment, ACROSS THE GREEN GRASS FIELDS, is no exception. Here are..."
DEV1AT3

"Feedback What a difference between book 1 and book 2. I enjoyed this one so much more, and I..."
The Broken Raven (Shadow Skye, #2)

"THE BROKEN RAVEN is an intriguing YA fantasy that sweeps the reader away to a land of magic, plotting, and..."
You Have a Match

"YOU HAVE A MATCH is a beautifully written YA contemporary about family, summer, forgiveness, and best friend crushes. Abby is..."
The Ever After (The Omte Origins, #3)

"THE EVER AFTER is the final book in the YA fantasy Omte Origins series, and it goes out with a..."
The Quantum Weirdness of the Almost-Kiss

"THE QUANTUM WEIRDNESS OF THE ALMOST-KISS is a delightful YA STEM-themed romance. Evie and Caleb have been BFFs since they..."
Soul of Cinder (Heart of Thorns, #3)

"SOUL OF CINDER is an intriguing conclusion to a dark YA fantasy trilogy. While in the first book we witnessed..."
The Dark Matter of Mona Starr

"Mona Starr's best friend has moved away, and she can feel her 'matter,' what she calls her depression, swirling all..."