Review Detail

Poison FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 3462
Posioned With Good Intent
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Overall a read that felt like it didn't quite know whether to be middle-grade or YA to me, but worth it all the same. It made me smile and laugh, without resorting to cheap tactics. That's a rare and precious thing these days.
Good Points
Disney-Hyperion is a mixed bag for me as a reader. They usually tend to publish YA that is either too melodramatic for my taste, or too young. So I went into this book not knowing what to expect at all. I ended up loving it for the sweet, funny piece of fluff that it was. Poison is almost the baby, Bieber-obsessed sister of Graceling by Kristin Cashore (but in the best possible way)! I thought that Kyra was not very developed as a character, but that the majority of the focus was on the plot so it didn't distract me too much. Fred was sweet, funny and sounded like just the kind of boy every girl wants to fall in love with. I loved the conflict with the notorious thief who has his own agenda for the Princess' death and wants to make things as hard for Kyra as possible. Rosie the pig and Fred's dog were too cute for words. But this book also has an undertone of snark and more mature humor (nothing to deter parents of the younger set unless they're really strict) such as allusions to marriage and lingerie jokes. The last revelation about Kyra's parentage was one that I never saw coming and I definitely give Zinn props for that idea.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Wizenard Series: Season One

0.0 (0)
Reggie has never felt destined for greatness. He dreams about...
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

0.0 (0)
The Fast and the Furious meets Transformers in the second...
Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

0.0 (0)
Kings become outcasts and lovers become foes in The Faithless...
Zora's Zucchini

0.0 (0)
The first zucchini of a summer garden is always exciting,...
Libby Loves Science

0.0 (0)
Libby loves science! In this STEM-themed picture book, a companion...
The Hidden Rainbow

0.0 (0)
All the colors of the rainbow are hidden in the...
The Places We Sleep

0.0 (0)
A family divided, a country going to war, and a...
Chasing Starlight

0.0 (0)
Movies, mansions, and murder in the Golden Age of Hollywood!...

0.0 (0)
Midwestern high school seniors and swim teammates Alli and Brandon...

0.0 (0)
True love has never been more deadly in this lush...
Kamala and Maya's Big Idea

0.0 (0)
Meena Harris debuts with an empowering picture book about two...

Latest Member Reviews

Sunshine in the Shadows: Book 2 of the Sunshine Series

"This one is probably the least exciting out of the 3 books, but its lovely getting to know the characters..."
Sunshine Reigns: Book 3 of the Sunshine Series

"This my favourite book of the 3-part series. Sunny comes into her own with a very satisfying ending."

"Loved it!"
ExtraNormal Academy (ExtraNormal Academy, #1)

"A different take on Academy books with the main character as an alien from another planet, sent to observe humans...."

"I strongly recommend this novel. It has the perfect combination of action, plot twists, and cool characters that kept my..."

"I had no idea about how serious the fallout for teens who sext can be until I read this book...."

"I loved this book so much I didn’t want it to end! I totally related to the characters and the..."
Neon Nights: A Sequel

"'Neon Nights' by Katey Taylor is an addictive sequel to 'Inebriated'. Cait has moved to San Diego to live with..."

"You will not be able to put down this book! A fast and suspenseful read that will grip you with..."
The Zombie Queen

"Tamara is the daughter of the Vampire Queen and the Zombie King. She is extremely powerful and is wanted by..."
Dating Nashville

"When country music sensation Becks leaps off the stage mid performance and kisses Nicky everything he’s worked so hard to..."
Circus of the Dead (Circus of the Dead, #1)

"The story: When Callie's parents send her to help her uncle for the summer working at the Circus of..."
Circus of the Dead (Circus of the Dead, #1)

"An intriguing and twisty book. The story: Callie is just a girl who loves to surf...."
The Hunt

"What a ride! The story: Tempest is our fierce heroine who wants nothing more than to become the..."
Dating Nashville

"'Dating Nashville' by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven follows some of the same characters that graced the pages of..."
Glass Kingdom

"I don't even know where to start with this book. I practically finished it in one day (and I would..."
The Lost Legends

"Growing up with the stories of the Nihryst, Adalina wants nothing more than to find them and break their curse...."
Jesse and the Ice Princess (Gulf City High)

" The story: Jesse Kerrigan has it all: good looks, charisma, and popularity. Even though he’s..."
Fae Hunter

"An enjoyable tale of a young woman who loses her sister and her sight to the Fae, but that is..."
Dragon Rebellion (The Hidden Warrior)

"Fantastic conclusion! Dragon Rebellion by M. Lynn is the final book in The Hidden Warrior duology picking up weeks after..."