Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 6351
Just Listen
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This is a review of momentous significance and importance. (No, I’m not bragging.) You see, Just Listen is my first-ever Sarah Dessen book! I know, I know—”But Renae, you say contemporary YA is your favorite. How have you not read Sarah Dessen before?” Uh…yeah, I have no valid excuses. I’m a failure, okay? Point at me and laugh; make fun of my unworthy fan status. I can handle it.

But now that you’re done heckling, we can move on the important part: I read a Sarah Dessen book! Thank you, thank you. I’d like to especially thank the Academy, and my parents, and Viking Juvenile and…

And we’re done. I apologize for excessive silliness. On the the important part—my review.

The thing with Just Listen is that it doesn’t bring anything new to the bookish world (or maybe it did back in 2006 when it was first published). The formerly popular girl who made mistakes and then hooks up with sensitive loner guy? We all know that story. It’s everywhere! So I think that if you want to read this book (which you most definitely do, if you’re one of the uncool persons who hasn’t done so yet, and no need to worry, because I was formerly uncool also), don’t expect fireworks and shock-factor and moments of “OMG!” Because basically, I figured out the entire story within the first chapter.

However, predictability and unremarkable story (in my opinion) did not stop me from grinnng like a fool during a goodly portion of this book. I would say that I very rarely smile whilst reading, but because I’ve been reading a lot of light contemporary of late, that is no longer true. Anyway, yes—Just Listen is really cute. The interaction between the protagonist, Annabel, and her love interest, Owen, was adorable. See, Owen is really big into music, like…obsessed with obscure, weird music like drippy faucets or chanting or whatever. And then Annabel gives him her opinion on the music, and they sort-of-argue and it’s really cute. So cute I had a happy-grin.

As far as plot, I’m not really sure I could give a good run-down. Wendy said that Sarah Dessen books are “about nothing and yet absolutely everything at the same time” and though I only have Just Listen to use as evidence, I definitely agree. This book is just about one girl living her life, in maybe less-than-great circumstances, but it’s not all depressing, and it’s not all awesome. And I would say that this is very realistic, except for the almost (but not quite) cheesy-movie factor Dessen’s storytelling had, especially when, toward the end, Annabel was suddenly enlightened and discovered great insight into everything, all at once. I didn’t really buy it, but I think it worked for this kind of story.

Anyhoo. Overall, my first encounter with the Sarah Dessen (that author of mythical proportions), was a fairly solid success. Just Listen isn’t my favorite book, and I’m hoping that any future Dessens I try out will work better for me. But either way, I liked Just Listen, and I can now gracefully (or not so gracefully) bow off of this awards podium with my shiny trophy for Not Being A Poser YA Contemp Fan.
It’s been an honor.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites,...
Ember of Night

0.0 (0)
I am a weed. Unloved by my abusive, alcoholic...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good...
Perfectly Parvin

0.0 (0)
Fourteen-year-old Iranian-American Parvin Mohammadi sets out to win the...
Havoc (Haven, #2)

0.0 (0)
For the first time in his life, Rain Ryland...
Finding Junie Kim

0.0 (0)
Junie Kim just wants to fit in. So she keeps...
Parachutes

0.0 (0)
Speak enters the world of Gossip Girl in this modern...
The Bachmann Family Secret

0.0 (0)
Jaret Bachmann travels with his family to his beloved...
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

0.0 (0)
For fans of Morgan Matson's Save the Date comes a...
Nosotros Means Us: Un cuento bilingüe

0.0 (0)
A moving bilingual ode to the unshakeable bond between a...
Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...

Latest Member Reviews

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew

"A prequel and an origin story; in more ways than one. It becomes easy to see..."
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair

"Set somewhere around a year after the events of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Eustace Scrubb remains much better..."
Before I Fall

"Love this book! One of my favorites."
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice

"This is a collection of brief biographies of people who stood up and resisted injustices and tyranny. There's a little..."
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

""Beastly" is a beautiful and amazing story of second chances, the importance of who you are within, and love. A..."
Abhorsen (Abhorsen #3)

"Picking up right where book #2’s cliffhangery ending left off, Garth Nix brings us the satisfying conclusion to his Abhorsen..."
Monster (Gone #7)

"I have loved all the books in the gone series and this one is no exception. Kept me entertained until..."
Monster (Gone #7)

"Let me start by saying that while this is the seventh (yes, seventh!) book in a series, I haven't ever..."
Fresh off the Boat

"Happy Philippine Independence Day! This is the reason why I picked up this book. June 12 is the day..."
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1)

"This fast paced, action packed series is focused on the world that is filled with a variety of faeries that..."
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia #1)

"I loved this series as a child, rereading these a number of times. I liked the first book, The Magician's..."
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

"Yeay! I finished the book! I have to admit, I decided to read this book again because of all the..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

DA Dragon Authors
"I (Erin) bought this one as a “blind date” from Malaprops. They wrap books in brown paper and write things..."
Enzo's Very Scary Halloween

"Enzo (dog) and Zoe (human) are both gearing up for Halloween in Garth Stein’s ENZO’S VERY SCARY HALLOWEEN. The story..."
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1)

"I remember reading this when it first came out, it was everything I was looking for in a book, great..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

"I love this series more than life itself. Georgia is hilarious and someone we can all relate to. Non-stop..."
Coraline

"I still can’t believe that a novel such as Coraline is marketed and written for children. I was, frankly, terrified..."
Enzo's Very Scary Halloween

"Enzo's Very Scary Halloween is a cute children's book that tells the story of an adorable puppy named Enzo and..."
Absolute Brightness

KK Karen Klein
" I think there were many side tangents that were not important to the story and just didn’t seem to..."

"Note: this review is for the Vampire Kisses omnibus containing books 1-3. In this omnibus containing the first..."