Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 3098
What might REALLY happen...
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Velvet is struggling after the devastating catastrophe that killed her father and reduced her mother to a zombie. The animal proteins in ThinPro made the brains of those who ingested it look "like Swiss cheese" and turned them into violent monsters. At first, all affected were just killed, but when the government found they could lobotomize them or fit them with shock collars, some people survive. Velvet has been trying to go to school and support her sister by working part time in a nursing home while living in government subsidized housing. She's glad when she finally locates her mother at a kennel for "connies" run by Jean and her son Dillon, but when her landlord finds out that her mother has moved home, he kicks her out. With Dillon's help, Velvet moves back to her old house far from town, which leads to other problems, such as losing her job and having to take her sister out of school. Her mother seems to be improving, however, so she keeps on. When a secondary outbreak of the disease causes the government to round up any one wearing a collar, Velvet has to find a way to save her mother yet again.
Good Points
I really, really want to read the sequel RIGHT NOW. I think there will be one because of the ending, but can't find official confirmation. The dystopian setting was very realistic, Velvet tries so hard to keep things together, and I liked her romance with Dillon. I loved all the realistic details of how Velvet and her sister survive, and about how society changes when so many people are affected.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
July 11, 2013
I prefer my zombie books to be more about zombies than anything else. I didn't love This is Not a Test as much as everyone else seemed to either. I think I'll be skipping this one.
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Dog Patrol: Our Canine Companions and the Kids Who Protect Them

0.0 (0)
In a full-color dog book unlike any other, acclaimed children’s...
Watch Over Me

0.0 (0)
Mila is used to being alone. ...

0.0 (0)
Her job is to keep their secrets safe. ...
City of the Plague God

0.0 (0)
Best-selling author Rick Riordan presents CITY OF THE PLAGUE GOD,...
The Shadow War

0.0 (0)
Inglourious Basterds meets Stranger Things in this dark and thrilling...
The Valley and the Flood

0.0 (0)
Rose Colter is almost home, but she can't go back...
Don't Tell A Soul

0.0 (0)
Stay up all night with this modern day Rebecca! Perfect...

0.0 (0)
58 Farm End: a twisted romantic crime thriller series (Book...

0.0 (0)
Beatrice Walker thought she lived in a normal world—that is...
Crying is Like the Rain: A Story of Mindfulness and Feelings

0.0 (0)
A gentle metaphor for understanding and processing anxiety and sadness....
The Brass Queen

0.0 (0)
She knows a liar when she sees one. ...
The Final Chance

0.0 (0)
Friends no matter what. At least that's what Beth Ann...
Wylder and the Almost Rockstar

0.0 (0)
How much trouble does it take to forget the boy...
Wylder and the Secret Rockstar

0.0 (0)
How much trouble does it take to forget your summer...
Nubia: Real One

0.0 (0)
Can you be a hero...if society doesn't see you as...
Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter

0.0 (0)
Angsty teenager Mary Shelley is not interested in carrying on...

Latest Member Reviews

The Ninja Club Sleepover

"THE NINJA CLUB SLEEPOVER is a great picture book for elementary school aged readers that explores friendship and feeling different...."
Jet Black and the Ninja Wind

"Rika Kuroi (Jet) has led an unusual and isolated life. Half Japanese and half Caucasian-American, she’s grown up on a..."
Fly Guy's Ninja Chistmas (Fly Guy #16)

"I loved FLY GUY’S NINJA CHRISTMAS it was cute and fun. Something I think the kids will absolutely love for..."
Ninja Bunny: Sister vs. Brother

"Ninja Bunny is an adorable and funny story of sister vs. brother. With adorable illustrations and hand drawn letters, this..."
The New Ninja (LEGO Ninjago: Chapter Book #9)

"The original Ninjago team, Cole, Kai, Zane, Lloyd, and Jay, each bring something special to the group with their individual..."