Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2281
A Heartwarming and Fun Addition!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Split into four different love stories, Fallen in Love was heartwarming and a fun addition to Lauren Kate’s Fallen series.

Fallen in Love’s first story, Love Where You Least Expect It: The Valentine of Shelby and Miles, was adorable. I loved seeing the lighter side to both Miles and Shelby, and their uncertainty about their growing feelings was extremely endearing. The way Shelby kept catching herself staring at Miles once his hat was lost, getting caught up in his clear blues eyes, had me stopping to catch my breath a couple times. Their nighttime picnic under a starry sky sealed the deal, and had me instantly swooning for their fledgling relationship.

I wasn’t as big a fan of Fallen in Love’s second story, Love Lessons: The Valentine of Roland. Maybe it’s because I haven’t read any of the Fallen books in a while, but I had a hard time remembering who Roland was. While I empathized with his torment over how things ended with his first – and only – love, I couldn’t truly connect to him because I couldn’t place him in Fallen’s overall plot.

Fallen in Love’s third story, Love: The Valentine of Arriane, started out quite promising. Learning about Arriane’s sordid love affair with one of Lucifer’s demons, a passion that spanned a millennia that neither time nor distance seemed able to weaken, was heartbreakingly beautiful. But their love story was tainted after Tess decided to present Arriane with an ultimatum – something someone truly in love would never force upon their loved one.

Fallen in Love’s last story, The Valentine of Daniel and Lucinda, was one I could have done without. Luce’s anxiousness permeated the pages, in her desire to uncover more clues about her past and what she needs to change in order to be with Daniel in the present. Even during a romantic moment together, Luce wasn’t able to completely set aside her worries and just live for the moment.

I did love that all four stories happened during the same time period – medieval England – and that they were all connected in one way or another, eventually leading up to Daniel and Luce’s Valentines Day. I also enjoyed that, while love was the focus, there was also a lot about friendship and the type of family bond that comes with shared experiences over time. It was also kind of romantic that, even though in this century Daniel and Luce are inevitably torn apart, if only for one night, their friends worked together to give them a moment of pure happiness. While I don’t feel like Fallen in Love has added to the Fallen series, it was a quick and romantic read that fans of the rest of the series are sure to find enjoyable!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

0.0 (0)
One week after their eleventh birthday, the Fowl twins--scientist Myles,...
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

0.0 (0)
When Kai grows tired of her bookish mum not being...
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
All the Things We Do in the Dark

0.0 (0)
Sadie meets Girl in Pieces in this dark, emotional thriller...
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

0.0 (0)
Abigail has just started her second year at the Tarkana...
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

0.0 (0)
Based on the Disney Junior TV show and inspired by...
Rules for Vanishing

0.0 (0)
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history, leaving...
Harry Potter Origami

0.0 (0)
Ever wanted to fold your own Chocolate Frogs? Or play...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon will...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...

Latest Member Reviews

All the Things We Do in the Dark

"ALL THE THINGS WE DO IN THE DARK is an intensely challenging and thought-provoking read with some magical realism elements...."
Rules for Vanishing

"RULES FOR VANISHING is a deliciously haunting YA horror perfect for Halloween. Told through collected documents, interviews, and texts, this..."
What Makes Us

"WHAT MAKES US is an intriguing story that follows a teenaged boy, his mother (in the past), and his friend..."
Serpent & Dove

"Lou is on the run from her family and she lives a thieving life with her friend Coco. Both of..."
By Any Means Necessary

"BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY is an engaging contemporary YA that presents some issues very well. The writing is in a..."
On the Come Up

"ON THE COME UP is a fantastic new YA contemporary that handles big issues like racism and sexism. The characters..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"FIREBORNE is a new YA fantasy that follows two teens, Lee and Anna (Antigone) in alternating points-of-view. Lee and Anna..."
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

"As Middle Grade graphic novel adaptations go, this urban fantasy is above par. The artwork has a bit..."
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

"INTO THE CROOKED PLACE is an engaging YA fantasy that follows five characters on a quest of aligned goals- even..."
To Kill a Kingdom

"TO KILL A KINGDOM is a wonderful YA fantasy about a siren and a pirate. Told in alternating points of..."
The Rift

"THE RIFT is a unique YA fantasy that takes place on Black Water Island, a place prized for the herd..."
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

"THE BEAUTIFUL takes place in New Orleans, primarily following a young woman, Celine. Celine fled France after a terrible event..."

"Eighteen-year-old Daniel Matheson goes to Madrid, Spain with his family in order for his mother to reconnect with the country..."
Glow of the Fireflies

"GLOW OF THE FIREFLIES is a YA fantasy that follows a teenaged girl, Briony, who has no memories from before..."
Creep

"CREEP is an interesting YA thriller/horror that follows an incoming high school freshman, Olivia (Liv). Olivia lives in a small..."

"EVE OF MAN by Giovanna and Tom Fletcher is the latest in YA dystopias. In the story, a phenomenon of..."

"Sam Jones and Zoe Miller are seniors in high school, but they've never had a reason to communicate during their..."

"Michigan Manning just wants to play hockey. Unfortunately, the high school she attends in the upper peninsula of Michigan has..."
When You Ask Me Where I'm Going

"WHEN YOU ASK ME WHERE I'M GOING is an absolutely gorgeous collection that reaches to touch the soul. In poems,..."
A Match Made in Mehendi

"A MATCH MADE IN MEHENDI is a light-hearted contemporary romance. Simi aspires to be an artist, but right now, she's..."