Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1664
Great Concept, Poor Execution
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Marketed as a retelling of Frankenstein, I expected a lot more of that kind of tale – the science behind the doctor’s crazed experiments, his creation’s loneliness over being such a mix-matched creature, the ultimate betrayal and then battle between creator and creation. Broken’s constant use of the words Shelley and Franks was not enough to bring such a concept to life, and I found myself mostly uncomfortable with Rought’s treatment of the classic tale.

Initially, I was really intrigued by Broken’s protagonist, Emma. Desolate and heartbroken over the untimely demise of her first boyfriend, Daniel, she spends most of her time lamenting over her loss. Upon meeting Alex, she finds a dark and tortured companion, someone who understands her kind of pain.

"When I close my eyes, I have the feeling I’ve known Alex for years. Then I see him, his scars and the brief flashes of raw honesty and horrid secrets and I think I don’t know him at all.

And I can’t stay away.

Those moments of open ache from him caught my heart, promised it a wounded companion."

"I’m wearing the shirt of a boy I barely know, and he ripped it off exposing more than his scars. In some way, I’m wearing his hurt and hiding in his shadows."

With time, I found myself growing wary with Alex’s strange similarities to Daniel, and Emma’s seemingly reluctance to question it because there wasn’t enough time between Daniel’s death and the introduction of Alex, the person who was somehow connected to him. But beyond that, it was uncomfortable to watch her sort through her emotions because she wasn’t sure which feelings were even appropriate for her to feel. With Daniel having passed only a few months earlier, she recognized that Alex’s similarities to Daniel might be the reason behind her immediate attraction and that he could just be a rebound, born out of pain and an aching loneliness. But anytime thoughts of Daniel surfaced, she squashed them and focused on the current of energy she felt whenever she was near Alex.

Alex was never the enigma that I think Rought had hoped he would be. I think, had I not read the blurb describing this as a Frankenstein retelling, I might have thought that Emma was merely projecting Daniel onto Alex because of how much she missed him. ***SPOILERS***But knowing the direction Broken was headed, the surprise at learning that he was created using bits of Daniel was lost. ***END OF SPOILERS*** It also made it quite clear who was helping Dr. Franks in his morbid experiments, and that there was more to Daniel’s death than meets the eye.

At first, the mystery surrounding Daniel’s death was exciting and compelling. Allusions to a fall kept me in suspense, as I pieced together the details surrounding his death. I also kept waiting to hear about the “string of suspicious deaths” mentioned in the blurb, and was disappointed that they were never mentioned in relation to Daniel’s passing. I kept waiting to make the connection between Daniel’s accident, and the death of some boys I only knew had died because of the summary, and was disappointed when Rought had to tell me their connection because she failed to show it through cleverly interwoven subplots.

I think the biggest disappointment with Broken was how slowly the “surprise” ending was revealed. We are forced through chapters and chapters of angsty high school drama, everyday mundane tasks (like what type of breakfast-to-go sandwich her mom made her everyday for the week; not joking, that happened) and way too many references to Emma’s blonde hair and pink cell phone.

"My cell phone buzzes, sounding like bees and chicken bones as it rattles against the pencils in the front pocket of my backpack."

"The notification tones set the pink bit of electronics staggering like a mugging victim across my desk."

"The factory setting ringtone on my phone wakes me in the middle of the night."

I didn’t start writing down examples until halfway through, and even then I edited out a bunch because there were JUST TOO MANY. It made me reach a point of nonchalance, so by the time the action did make an appearance, I just didn’t care anymore.

It wasn’t all bad in Broken I found myself jotting down a lot of lines, because the prose was so pretty I wanted to get a second look at it later. And even though I knew how everything was (mostly) going to end, because Broken is a retelling, I was still compelled to finish it. I just wish that the execution had been handled as well as the concept.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Slayer (Slayer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into every generation a Slayer is born… ...
Dealing in Dreams

0.0 (0)
The Outsiders meets Mad Max: Fury Road in this fast-paced...
Girls With Sharp Sticks (Girls With Sharp Sticks, #1)

0.0 (0)
Some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns. ...
The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly)

0.0 (0)
Meet thirteen-year-old Agatha Oddly – a bold, determined heroine, and...
Skipping Forward

0.0 (0)
What if you could skip forward in time, but...
The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Maureen Johnson delivers the...
Finding Mr. Better-Than-You

0.0 (0)
A heartbroken teen, with the help of her best...
Golden Chains

0.0 (0)
Never fall in love with the enemy. If only...
Wardens of Eternity

0.0 (0)
Magic and magical creatures. Immortal gods and goddesses. History...
Tweet Cute

0.0 (0)
Meet Pepper, swim team captain, chronic overachiever, and all-around...
Jack Kerouac is Dead to Me

0.0 (0)
Fifteen-year-old JL Markham's life used to be filled with carnival...
The Lost Legends

0.0 (0)
All her life, Princess Adalina heard tales of the legendary,...

Latest Member Reviews

Paint by Sticker Kids: Christmas

"PAINT BY STICKER KIDS: CHRISTMAS is a fun activity book for elementary-aged children (and maybe older toddlers). The book features..."
Baby, Find the Shapes! (Indestructibles)

"BABY, FIND THE SHAPES! is a fun addition to the Indestructibles book series. The best feature of this book is..."
Althea Gibson: The Story of Tennis' Fleet-of-Foot Girl

"Born in 1927, Althea Gibson experienced the racial and gender disparities that were prevalent at the time, but were in..."
Welcome to Jazz: A Swing-Along Celebration of America’s Music, Featuring “When the Saints Go Marching In”

"WELCOME TO JAZZ is a truly delightful and entertaining children's book. The book teaches about jazz in terms of history,..."
National Geographic Student World Atlas

" A wonderful representation of the world for teaching kids to love the earth they live on. With bright,..."
Ralph Masiello's Alien Drawing Book

"A cute way for kids to learn how to draw. This book takes kids through a step by..."
Write to Me: Letters from Japanese American Children to the Librarian They Left Behind

"This is a must read book that shows the lives of Japanese American children who ended up being taken from..."
Cub
Cub

"Cindy finds that middle school in the early 1970s is fairly stressful-- all the cool girls are wearing elephant bells..."
Close Calls: How Eleven US Presidents Escaped from the Brink of Death

"There was a recent Jeopardy! champion who apparently got himself up to speed on many areas of knowledge by reading..."
All You Need Is a Pencil: The Totally Sick Sick-Day Activity Book

"THE TOTALLY SICK SICK-DAY ACTIVITY BOOK is exactly what the title describes. There are crossword puzzles, places to doodle, word..."
Animazes

"ANIMAZES shows the migration patterns of fourteen different creatures. It shows that there are several different paths these creatures can..."
Baby Loves the Five Senses: Hearing!

"BABY LOVES THE FIVE SENSES: HEARING teaches everything you need to know about how hearing, the ears, and sound all..."
Hard Work, but It's Worth It: The Life of Jimmy Carter

"Before reading this, I didn't know much about Jimmy Carter except that he had been one of the presidents. I..."
Ready to Fly: How Sylvia Townsend Became the Bookmobile Ballerina

"READY TO FLY is a biography of Sylvia Townsend and how she became a ballerina. She always loved to dance..."
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

"An excellent read for children who love machines and/or space, ASTRO KITTENS: INTO THE UNKNOWN takes preschoolers for an unforgettable..."
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

"Wish you could teach your toddler about outer space and the basis for science-fiction? If so- or you just love..."
Harry Potter Origami

"Scholastic Inc brings origami and Harry Potter together in this book with fifteen foldable crafts! Each one has a different..."
Imagine

"IMAGINE is a gorgeous autobiographical poem with accompanying artwork and an inspirational tone. Herrera was the U.S Poet Laureate and..."
Awesome Achievers in Technology: Super and Strange Facts about 12 Almost Famous History Makers

"AWESOME ACHIEVERS IN TECHNOLOGY is an approachable middle grade non-fiction book about people behind every day inventions that you may..."
Kindergarten Big Skills Workbook: Sorting for Stem

"'Sorting for STEM Big Skills Workbook' deals with core concepts. Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics are the focus in this..."