Review Detail

Parallel FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 3815
Love the Melding of Sci-Fi + Contemporary
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Whoa, this book loves to twist your mind. I’m not even sure how to review it without giving anything way because it’s incredibly layered and one of the main themes of this book is how everything is interconnected. We can’t truly differentiate between “small” decisions and “big” decisions because there is no such thing as a small decision. I really appreciated the way this book assumed intelligence on the part of the readers to follow the logic behind how Abby’s choices affected her two parallel selves.

I think it’s safe to say this book is science fiction, with the parallel universes and all, but at heart I think it feel a lot more contemporary than I expected at first. Abby has to deal with going back and forth between the parallel version of events, but a lot of the conflict centers around family, friends, and boys. Speaking of, I really liked the way Abby’s friends and family members were portrayed as fleshed-out characters of their own. Caitlin is a supportive best friend, though I will say I thought her character was just a tad overdone. She’s incredibly smart(a scientific genius, really), looks great all the time, and has one academic flaw(dyslexia). Caitlin’s character felt a little to characterization-by-the-book for me, but Caitlin and Abby do have a really solid friendship that I enjoyed reading. Abby’s family isn’t a huge part of the book, considering for quite a bit of it she’s away at college, but during the events when Abby was in high school, there were no cases of the mysterious absent parents here.

I will warn that there is a love triangle in this book. I didn’t mind the triangle at all though because it’s not really a triangle. . . more of a parallelogram? Because Abby has a love interest, and her parallel has a love interest, so they interact with each other(I’m not good at explaining this, but the book does a slightly better job, though you definitely have to stop and think about it). So even if it’s not exactly a love triangle, there are two love interests. They were both all right, but I really liked one(Josh), while finding Michael just kind of . . . meh. He wasn’t a bad character, but he did seem kind of bland.

Even though Parallel was a page-turner for me, I will say this is a book I would only recommend on certain conditions. I really liked it, but I think it’s going to be a polarizing book–I don’t see many people being on the middle ground with this one. So, a few warnings of things that came up in the book that I think might be off-putting to some people: there’s talk of soul-mates(it wasn’t instalove or sickening like I sometimes find this concept, but I know some readers really don’t like those words), all the kids are really, really smart(a little unbelievably so), and this book does sort of mess with string theory, which doesn’t bother me because I know nothing about string theory, but it might ruin the experience for you if you actually know your physics.

The Ending to this book was definitely a “whoa, what just happened?” moment in a good way. It was so twisty and awesome–it might be one of my favorite ending I’ve read in any book this year. It’s perfect. I liked the book a lot going into the ending, but the last few paragraphs erased any remaining doubts in my mind that this was an awesome book.

Final Impression: Parallel was not at all what I was expecting it to be, but I really enjoyed it. It was less sci-fi than I thought it would be, but I actually enjoyed the way Abby interacted with her friends, family, and the male characters. It was a page-turner and I never wanted to putting down. Also: BEST.ENDING.EVER(OK, maybe not ever, but I really like it). Really 4.5 stars, but 4 stars for categorization’s sake.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
June 22, 2013
I've always been intrigued by parallel universes and since you say it has a fantastic ending I'll definitely be moving it up on my TBR :]
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Llama Llama Meets the Babysitter

0.0 (0)
With over 30 million copies in print, Anna Dewdney's New...
City (Wheels at Work)

0.0 (0)
Delivering, collecting, transporting and recycling! Lift the flap to see...
A Season of Flowers

0.0 (0)
Michael Garland (Daddy Played the Blues) displays his impressive illustration...
You Are Fantastic!

0.0 (0)
From Hello!Lucky, the creators of My Mom Is Magical! and...
Early One Morning

0.0 (0)
Join a little boy searching the farm for his breakfast...
Little Sap: The Magical Story of a Little Forest Family

0.0 (0)
A little tree, guided by her family circle and forest...
The Little Things: A Story about Acts of Kindness

0.0 (0)
One girl’s simple act of kindness causes ripples in her...
The Cruelest Mercy (The Kinder Poison, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this sequel to The Kinder Poison—which People magazine proclaimed...
The City Beautiful

0.0 (0)
Death lurks around every corner in this unforgettable Jewish historical...
The Shape of Thunder

0.0 (0)
Cora hasn’t spoken to her best friend, Quinn, in a...
Everyone Dies Famous in a Small Town

0.0 (0)
A lyrical and heartfelt collection by an award-winning writer that...
The Republic of Birds

0.0 (0)
A young witch must save her sister from evil birds...

Latest Member Reviews

Llama Llama Meets the Babysitter

"LLAMA LLAMA MEETS THE BABYSITTER is an overall fun new installment in the Llama Llama series. Following the usual format..."
You Are Fantastic!

"YOU ARE FANTASTIC! is a brightly colored and cheerful read celebrating YOU! The book walks through some metaphorical compliments, such..."
Early One Morning

"EARLY ONE MORNING is a picture book walk around a farm. A little boy heads out to find a couple..."
Little Sap: The Magical Story of a Little Forest Family

"LITTLE SAP is a beautifully illustrated story about growing up, seasons, and forests. Little Sap can't wait to be a..."
The Little Things: A Story about Acts of Kindness

"THE LITTLE THINGS is a charming and powerful story about the contagious nature of kindness. A little girl heads to..."
Ducks on the Road: A Counting Adventure

"DUCKS ON THE ROAD is a charming and simple picture book with a counting theme. Mama and Papa Duck are..."
Sloth and Smell the Roses

"SLOTH AND SMELL THE ROSES is another charming and colorful book from the fantastic sister duo, Eunice and Sabrina Moyle...."
Bird House

"BIRD HOUSE is a lovely story about a young girl and her abuela, who find an injured bird. They treat..."
More Than Sunny

"MORE THAN SUNNY is a sweet picture book about siblings, seasons, and childhood fun. The story features two siblings who..."
Busy Little Ladybug

"BUSY LITTLE LADYBUG is a cute board book about a ladybug that loves colors. Ladybug wants to figure out what..."
One Springy, Singy Day

"ONE SPRINGY, SINGY DAY is a brightly colored and fun celebration of spring. Told in rhyming text, the book follows..."
The Lost Continent (Wings of Fire, Book 11)

"It was a good book i really want to buy is so i can read it all the time. I..."
Boy, Everywhere

"Sami has a happy and secure life in Damascus, Syria. His mother is a teacher, his father is a doctor,..."
That Thing About Bollywood

"Sonali misses her grandfather, who ran a video rental store that specialized in Bollywood films, so she enjoys the family..."
Thanks a Lot, Universe

"Brian has anxiety at the best of times. He manages at school, and was on the basketball team, but he..."
One Girl

"In very spare poetry, we see how the spark of a book encourages one girl to investigate the information in..."
In My Life

"Based on the Lennon and McCartney Beatles' tune, this picture book showcases the lyrics against a background of a family..."
Upstaged

"Shira is a really good singer, but she is nervous about performing in front of others. When her best friend..."
100 Dogs: Playful Pups to Count

"This comically illustrated book doesn't have a plot, per se, but is a fun romp through lots of different "kinds"..."
Bear Bottom (Fun Jungle #7)

"Teddy and his family, along with Summer and her family, head off to Yellowstone Park. J.J.McCracken is interested in buying..."