Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4607
Exceeds Expectations
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I loved that the premise on this book was based upon Greek mythology. I’m not as familiar with mythology as I would like to be, so I haven’t read as many stories with that focus, but I appreciated how the story was adapted based upon Nikki’s character. I’m sure if I knew my mythology even better I would be able to see more nuances and allusions, but even with my limited knowledge, I found the idea of everlivings fascinating and beyond horrifying.

Nikki is at times, quite a mess of a character, but she’s also compelling. She definitely has some self-destructive tendencies, but can also be really self-determined and convinced what she’s doing is right. I think I would have been slightly annoyed with Nikki at times except I could never stop feeling sorry for what had happened to her. The idea of someone else feeding off your energy for a century, leaving you a broken shell, is enough to make me literally cringe.

Jack and Cole are both fantastically written characters. They’re both intriguing in their own ways while being complete opposites of one another. Jack is the perfect, steady character that Nikki really needs when she returns, even if things between them are incredibly awkward at first. I like that at first we don’t know exactly what Jack’s role is, since the book is told from Nikki’s POV. I felt like I was figuring Jack out as Nikki was figuring him out for the second time.

There is just so much going on in Everneath(in a good way!). You can read it as a mythological retelling, or as a story of the foundation of love, but there’s a lot of undercurrents about the price of immortality, what constitutes a human being, and who heroes are. These aren’t all themes that might be evident on a quick read-through, but they’re definitely prominent enough that I feel they should be acknowledged. These underlying tensions are really what compels me to the series, and why I want to keep reading.

Final Impression: I wasn’t sure if I would like this book or not, but I liked the different take on mythology that I feel isn’t explored as much as some other lore. Even though Nikki had some pretty self-defeating behavior and thoughts sometimes, I never felt like I didn’t get where she was coming from. The way the characters are written and the subtle themes that run underneath this work make this a 4/5 star read for me.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Incredible Animals

0.0 (0)
In this illustrated guide, discover fascinating and unusual information about...
Special Delivery

0.0 (0)
A lovely book to share with children in an expecting...
Eyelike Stickers: Trains

0.0 (0)
Hundreds of irresistible, reusable, and collectible stickers to mix, match,...

0.0 (0)
It is twenty years since the events of La Belle...
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

0.0 (0)
The first book in an epic and romantic YA series...
Winter Light

0.0 (0)
WINTER LIGHT is the story of 15-year-old Mary Donahue...
Talent

0.0 (0)
Sandee Mason is convinced her life will change if she...
WITHIN THE FOLDS OF A SWAN'S WINGS

0.0 (0)
What if the one element that has always defined you...
The Good Girls

0.0 (0)
One of Us Is Lying meets Sadie in this twisty,...
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Iduna harbors a dark secret. On the surface, she...
All our Hidden Gifts

0.0 (0)
Maeve’s strangely astute tarot readings make her the talk of...

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Cassie needs a horse. She’s determined to move up...
A Higher Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 9)

0.0 (0)
Just when everything seems to be perfect, it all falls...
A Happier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 8)

0.0 (0)
Two guys. One girl. A big confusing mess. ...
A Healthier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 7)

0.0 (0)
She broke his heart. Will he ever forgive her? ...
A Steadier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 6)

0.0 (0)
He wants her back, but she’s already taken. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Sword of the Seven Sins

" The story: Ari and Eva are young members of a society based on the seven deadly sins,..."
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

"Dark and twisted just like I like them! Of Thorns and Beauty by Elle Madison, Robin D. Mahle is the..."
The Verity

"FEEDBACK Friends. FRIENDS. This book was so good. I apologize in advanced if it’s just a bunch of rambling..."
Sunshine in the Shadows: Book 2 of the Sunshine Series

"This one is probably the least exciting out of the 3 books, but its lovely getting to know the characters..."
Inebriated

"'Inebriated' by Katey Taylor is a hauntingly real look at the power of intoxication, whether it be in the form..."
The Path We Take

"'The Path We Take' by Kylie Key shows how the choices we make and the things we think we want..."
Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)

"When a weird light shoots from Brea and strikes her best friend, she's designated as mentally unstable and sent to..."
Fae's Destruction (Queens of the Fae Book 3)

"What a ride! Fae’s Destruction by M. Lynn & Melissa A. Craven is the final book in their series Queens..."
Fae's Defiance (Queens of the Fae Book 2)

"What an amazing read! Fae’s Defiance by M. Lynn & Melissa A. Craven is the second book in their series..."
Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)

"With all the Fae stories coming out this year, I was a little concerned before picking this one up if..."
The Art of Holding On

"You know those books that hit you in the gut? The ones you can't look away from? That was this..."
Of Beast and Beauty

"When Rosalie is forced to marry Prince Xander if Baist, she didn't know what to except with her new title..."
Fire (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #2)

N/A
"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Ashes (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #3)

"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Seneca Lake

"Meg lives in a small town in upstate NY (outside Ithaca) in the later years of WWII. She is torn..."
A Straw Man

"The story: Melody, the younger sister of Charlie, the main character of the previous book, is now..."
Scarred

"Emotionally, I mean. What I loved: As you can guess from the title,..."
The F Word (Redefining Me book 1)

"'Dating My Best Friend' (former title: 'The F Word') by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven delves deeply into themes..."
The Reader

"I devoured The Reader by M.K. Harkins. There’s no other way to describe it. I read it in one sitting..."
Bea and the Bad Boy

"'Bea and the Bad Boy' by Anna Catherine Field is a page-turning story that evolves from two people who don't..."