Review Detail

4.2 106
Young Adult Fiction 28189
One of the most captivating books I've ever read!
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Reader reviewed by Andrea

A Great and Terrible Beauty is what it's name implys, beautiful. The story is about sixteen-year-old Gemma, who grew up in India. All her life she wanted so badly to go to London. On her sixteenth birthday, she gets into a fight with her mother and her mother ends up being murdured. The scary part is, Gemma saw her mother being murdered in a vision while it was happening. She is then sent to a finishing school in London. There, Gemma faces more visions, strange happenings, and makes enemies and life-long friends with three girls. A handsom, mysterious man named Kartik follows Gemma from India and warns her against the visions. Gemma develops a sort of odd, hateful love for Kartk but ignores his warnings and continues her visions. She and the other three girls - Felicity, the popular and bold one. Pippa, the pretty, fanciful, and rather ditsy one. And Ann, the quite, yet clever outcast - make a secret club after Gemma finds the diary of a mysterious Mary Dowd in a vison. They soon learn the weird magic, unbelieveable and horrible events, and the powerful Order in the book about Mary and her best friend Sarah are real and find themselves in a beautiful land where Felicity is strong, Peppa has true love, Ann is beautiful, and Gemma can talk to her dead mother. At first, they love this new place and nw abilities they take back with them, but Gemma learns dark secrets about the school and the Mary and Sarah they have been reading about. In the end, Gemma had to face tremendous obstacles in a fight against good and evil, and the tough real world against 'paradise.' It ends in tragedy as one of Gemma's friends dies. She now had to learn to fix her mistakes, get Kartik to forgive her, and bring back together the Order.

I think this may be one of the best books I've ever read, infact I put it into my top 5. (incase you care, it's Winter of Fire, White Fang, Elvenbane, The Iron Ring, and now 'Beauty.) I actually stood up all night reading it, I couldn't put it down! It is so interesting, the minute you think you have the end pegged, the auther totally spins ya through a loop! I also liked how not even the central character is perfect, they each have qualities you like and don't like. It is such a breath of fresh air from the typical fantasy. And the it's not afraid to take that "extra step". On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give it a 7! Bravo!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account