Review Detail

Defriended FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 7176
Trying a Bit too Hard
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Everything about DEFRIENDED sets it up to be a horror story, mysterious, over the internet, possibly undead girlfriend, right? But it’s not, not at all. Sure it’s a bit creepy at times, but all good books are. What it really is is a mystery, one of the what-the-heck-is-going-on-here variety. And that’s a good thing, because while horror is good it could have so easily become cliché here.

The plot was good. It goes a lot of places you don’t expect and a few you do. There aren’t any big gaping black holes of question marks floating around from where the author didn’t bother to explain. One thing really bugged me though, the event that starts it all off, the hinges of the book if you will, is that Jason (the main character) Goggles Lacy. Who does that? It wasn’t an is-she-really-real sort of Google though, it was a run of the mill I-do-this-all-the-time sort. This just bugged me the whole time, because it felt so improbable, and I wish that he had done it for a better reason.

DEFRIENDED has a lot of what you would call pop culture in it. Jason makes references to bands all the time, but he never actually describes them, so unless you’ve heard of them it means nothing. This is disappointing because they’re probably significant in some way, and that gets lost. The book was also far too technology oriented, obsessively so. The main plot does have a good deal to do with Facebook, so it’s understandable to some extent, but Jason’s insistent checking of the internet and getting random texts from his buds gets irritating and doesn’t seem to have any sort of purpose at all. It felt more like a desperate attempt to connect with the ‘teenage generation’ than anything, and the story would have been just fine without it.

Jason’s motivation was interesting. I don’t think that he really loved Lacy, he almost said that himself. It seemed like he wanted to help her because he needed to be a hero. Something was finally happening in his life and he wanted to keep it going, but he was also helping her out of common decency. That’s not to say he wasn’t a good character though, because he was. At times he was subtly and ironically funny, at others he was the only sane person in the whole book. What I liked was that he seemed to realize just how ludicrous it was of him to be doing all this for a girl he had never met, but still knew why he continued to go along with it.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 2

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
June 02, 2013
This one seems a little too cheesy for my tastes. I like my horror/creepy books to be high on the scare and low on the cheese. Glad you enjoyed it pretty well, though :]
June 02, 2013
In reply to an earlier comment

I love that 'high on the scare and low on the cheese'. Classy. ;) I like it that way too.
2 results - showing 1 - 2
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...
Wild River

0.0 (0)
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of...
The Last Hurrah

0.0 (0)
3 nights, 2 days, and 1 massive music fest ....

Latest Member Reviews

Murder Among the Stars

"MURDER AMONG THE STARS by Laura L. Sullivan and Adam Shankman is the second in the Lulu Kelly Mystery Series...."
Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

"What a ride! As a Poe enthusiast, I found this book irresistible. I struggled to put it down. And, when..."
Enshadowed (Nevermore #2)

"First off... that freaking cliffhanger!? I can't even... I could not imagine having read this the year it came out..."
Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

" It's great! What I love the most is how dark and gritty the world felt. It was so cool..."
Tiger Eyes

"4.5 Stars A great and emotional read. A young teenage girl; Davey struggles with the loss of her father..."
The Shadow Behind the Stars

" The Shadow Behind the Stars features the three fates of Greek mythology. On a desolate island the sisters..."
Noggin

" This book was hilarious. Normally I don't read book from male point of views,..."
Noggin

"The concept for this book was interesting and it was interesting to see how each person dealt with Travis being..."

"The book The House of the Scorpions by Nancy Farmer is a fantastic book. Matt is a clone of a..."
Enshadowed (Nevermore #2)

"Okay, I am being super picky. Yes, the book was good. (Kinda slow. Lots of time in Isobel's head)...."
Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky #1)

"C.J. Flood delivers a heart-rending story of first love, family drama, and forgiveness. Lily is a troubled thirteen..."
When I Was the Greatest

"As ever with audio, I can’t really say whether I would have enjoyed the book as much in print. All..."