Cloaked FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 3918
My Cloaked Review
(Updated: May 08, 2013)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I love fairy tales. There is something about magic, love, witches, and the supernatural that just captivates me. Cloaked, however, fell a little short. The story was a little flat for me. I am really saddened because so far I have loved retellings of past fairy tales. I am not sure if it was because there were too many stories thrown into one or if it was just the cheesy characters, but it was not my favorite.

Johnny was the poor kid who has to work for all his family have. His father up and disappeared when he was young leaving him and his mom to despair. Of course, I could not help but feel horrible for him. I just felt that his story went from being fairy tale to cheesy. He meets a princess who promises to fulfill his every desire. He then embarks on this wild goose chase to make everything that’s gone wrong right. This is where things get weird for me. Johnny has so much going on it’s hard to keep up.

OKAY….. rant on what drove me CRAZY! The accents in this book! AHHHHHH, it made me shake the book a couple of times. My poor husband is probably traumatized. I shouted in frustration more than once. It was just EXTREMELY ANNOYING!!

The characters, well, there was hardly development. To me, it was a rush of stories in order to fit everyone in. I would have really liked to get to know Meg more. She seemed like a legit person. It was just weird when her predictable “secret” came out of nowhere. And of course, the Prince and Princess were just obnoxious, spoiled characters with not much else to be remembered by.

I hate to rag a story. I am sure there are people out there who will love this book. I just felt there could have been a better execution of this concept. The story was just everywhere. Although there was a happily ever after, the ending had a cliche feeling. How did everyone else feel about this book?
Good Points
Fairy Tale retelling/ Happy ending
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
The world is brimming full of incredible inventions - but...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
The night my sister was born, the stars died and...

0.0 (0)
He thinks she's shallow, she thinks he's a nerd. What...
Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

0.0 (0)
A groovy New York Times bestseller! ...
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

0.0 (0)
If you knew that creating singularity between your mind...
Our Year of Love and Parties

0.0 (0)
In this poignant, funny, and romantic novel, four nights...

0.0 (0)
Elemental Manipulation is tricky. Only those with the power can...
The Path Divided

0.0 (0)
Every choice has a consequence. When a magical picture...

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Marlee Stanley joins her two sisters and the...
Shadowscent

0.0 (0)
An Ember in the Ashes meets Indiana Jones in...
Reverie

0.0 (0)
Inception meets The Magicians, except with better wigs and...

0.0 (0)
They call me the Dark Queen… Ryleigh...
Scarred

0.0 (0)
Life leaves you scarred. Love can make you beautiful....

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...

Latest Member Reviews

"THE STORY OF INVENTIONS is a simple, accessible introduction to some of the breakthroughs that have shaped the world across..."
Skin Hunter

"Milla steals an armband and an identity which could put her to death if she is found out. She takes..."
Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars #1)

"SCAVENGE THE STARS is an engaging YA fantasy that gripped me from the start. Amaya, or Silverfish, is a girl..."
Pippin No Lickin'

"As a family with 2 busy boys, 14 and 12, we appreciate Layne’s contribution to helping children understand the importance..."
Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

"'Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party' by Kimberly & James Dean is a cute story about friendship and..."
A Straw Man

"The story: Melody, the younger sister of Charlie, the main character of the previous book, is now..."
Girl at Heart

"'Girl at Heart' by Kelly Oram is a sweet, entertaining, easy read that any lover of YA romance will adore...."
Kingdom Cold

"What I loved: First and foremost, the characters. Princess Charlotte's fierce, unyielding manner. The way her character is left..."
Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

"Isn't great to finish a series and feel satisfied? Sword and Pen by Rachel Caine is the final book in..."
Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons #1)

"I snapped this one up because I love Wonder Woman, and I much appreciated Leigh Bardugo's adept writing in Six..."
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

"One hundred years ago. When I was growing up, this seemed like an impossibly long time in the past. The..."
Scarred

"Emotionally, I mean. What I loved: As you can guess from the title,..."
The Path Divided

"I'm going to break out of my usual review mold here because this book was so many things. It..."
Girl at Heart

"What I loved: Just about everything. This was an adorable YA Contemporary Romance with a surprisingly well-rounded..."
Skin Hunter

"What I loved: The world building was perfectly illustrated without bogging down the story. Everything from the..."
Our Year in Love and Parties

"What I loved: The story was told through the unique lens of four specific events with..."
The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly)

"Agatha loves the work of Detective Hercule Poirot. He's actually her imaginary friend and she uses his work to influence..."
Jack Kerouac is Dead to Me

"JACK KEROUAC IS DEAD TO ME is Gae Polisner’s most recent YA Contemporary novel. Like in her other books, she..."
Woven in Moonlight

"Woven in Moonlight is a beautiful and lush fantasy, based on the culture and history of Bolivia. It is set..."
Julie Winsome M.D., Medical Detective Science Fiction Mysteries, Volume # 1

"Always fun to follow along with Dr. Julie Winsome Medical Detective! Great stories and I love the writing style..."