Young Adult Fiction 5842
Selection? Count me in!
(Updated: April 30, 2013)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Not bad, not bad at all.

At first, I thought I was going to be disappointed — I was prepared to be disappointed. After reading numerous reviews and seeing a lot of 1 star reviews, I wasn’t expecting it to be a decent read. So why did I even bother? I just wanted to, I mean, look at the cover! It’s gorgeous. I also wanted to see my own insights and reactions.

Let me put out now I was thisclose to putting the book down after reading up to page 20. It was a really stupid read: Ms Cass was writing anything, jumping to different scenes, and it was all too confusing. She also added unnecessary passages. The names were stupid, America Singer? Maxon Schreave? Honestly, why do authors think that, because they’re writing a dystopian novel, they could name their characters with weird names? She never explained the caste systems. Not to worry; after reading up to 145 pages, I get the drifts. So let me explain the castes to you before you pick up the book. Your caste system is based on your ancestor’s income.

Castes 1-8:

Ones: You’re a royal; you’re filthy rich. Forget about starving, forget about shabby clothes, and forget about cleaning.
Twos: You’re living large; this is because your husband was in the military (from what I’ve read. Please correct me if I’m wrong).
Threes: You’re a normal citizen. You’re neither rich nor poor. You’re living comfortably.
Fours: The income is pretty low, but it’s enough to feed your family. The clothes are so and so. Not bad, but not good either.
Fives: You have to use your talents to make money. You have to work kind of hard and you’re barely making enough to feed your family.
Sixes: You’re a maid; you cannot refuse to help whoever (only from castes 1-5, mind you) ask you to do what needs to be done. Sometimes you miss out on food because you failed to make enough money.
Sevens: Sorry guys — didn’t read much on the Sevens. :/
Eights: You have no homes, no food, and you have to wear filthy rags for clothes. You can’t work.

With that being said, I hope it makes the first chapter not as confusing. Let’s begin with the review.

America Singer receives a letter to enter in the Selection to become a wife of Prince Maxon. Her mother couldn’t be more proud. So she pesters her daughter all the time to enter. America doesn’t want to go, she rather she’d stay at home with her secret lover, Aspen . . . a Six. It’s not recommended for someone to marry below a four, but can you truly help who you love? With America being a Five, she doesn’t see anything wrong with it. Unfortunately, things have to end between the two lovebirds because Aspen wants what’s best for America. He wants her to enter the Selection.

35 girls are picked (America included). They have to make the Prince fall in love with one of them. America befriends one girl; she’s the only one who would talk to her. All the other girls are throwing her dagger eyes. She doesn’t mind it, though. She wants to hurry and be done with it so she can return home. She used to hate Prince Maxon, but after meeting him, she sees some good in him and they become friends.

She doesn't want to marry him, but wants to be there for him and help him find a wife. I like their friendship. Maxon isn't a bad guy. The story reminded me of Wither by Lauren DeStefano, not The Bachelors. I don’t think the reviewers literally mean this is like The Hunger Games, just the fact that women from a lower caste has to compete to win the crown and Maxon’s heart to become rich; in The Hunger Games, people are selected from different districts to compete to win for fame and be drowned with riches.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
May 04, 2013
I loved this book but for some reason I feel like Im not into the cover as much as most of the people are. It is pretty though.
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

0.0 (0)
A groovy New York Times bestseller! ...
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

0.0 (0)
If you knew that creating singularity between your mind...
Our Year of Love and Parties

0.0 (0)
In this poignant, funny, and romantic novel, four nights...

0.0 (0)
Elemental Manipulation is tricky. Only those with the power can...
The Path Divided

0.0 (0)
Every choice has a consequence. When a magical picture...

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Marlee Stanley joins her two sisters and the...
Shadowscent

0.0 (0)
An Ember in the Ashes meets Indiana Jones in...
Reverie

0.0 (0)
Inception meets The Magicians, except with better wigs and...

0.0 (0)
They call me the Dark Queen… Ryleigh...
Scarred

0.0 (0)
Life leaves you scarred. Love can make you beautiful....

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...
Outlawed

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...
The Path We Take

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...

Latest Member Reviews

Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

"'Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party' by Kimberly & James Dean is a cute story about friendship and..."
A Straw Man

"The story: Melody, the younger sister of Charlie, the main character of the previous book, is now..."
Girl at Heart

"'Girl at Heart' by Kelly Oram is a sweet, entertaining, easy read that any lover of YA romance will adore...."
Kingdom Cold

"What I loved: First and foremost, the characters. Princess Charlotte's fierce, unyielding manner. The way her character is left..."
Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

"Isn't great to finish a series and feel satisfied? Sword and Pen by Rachel Caine is the final book in..."
Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons #1)

"I snapped this one up because I love Wonder Woman, and I much appreciated Leigh Bardugo's adept writing in Six..."
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

"One hundred years ago. When I was growing up, this seemed like an impossibly long time in the past. The..."
Scarred

"Emotionally, I mean. What I loved: As you can guess from the title,..."
The Path Divided

"I'm going to break out of my usual review mold here because this book was so many things. It..."
Girl at Heart

"What I loved: Just about everything. This was an adorable YA Contemporary Romance with a surprisingly well-rounded..."
Skin Hunter

"What I loved: The world building was perfectly illustrated without bogging down the story. Everything from the..."
Our Year in Love and Parties

"What I loved: The story was told through the unique lens of four specific events with..."
The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly)

"Agatha loves the work of Detective Hercule Poirot. He's actually her imaginary friend and she uses his work to influence..."
Jack Kerouac is Dead to Me

"JACK KEROUAC IS DEAD TO ME is Gae Polisner’s most recent YA Contemporary novel. Like in her other books, she..."
Woven in Moonlight

"Woven in Moonlight is a beautiful and lush fantasy, based on the culture and history of Bolivia. It is set..."
Julie Winsome M.D., Medical Detective Science Fiction Mysteries, Volume # 1

"Always fun to follow along with Dr. Julie Winsome Medical Detective! Great stories and I love the writing style..."
We Are All His Creatures: Tales of P. T. Barnum, the Greatest Showman

"WE ARE ALL HIS CREATURES by Deborah Noyes is a series of eleven short stories about the beloved showman, P.T...."
Jane Anonymous: A Novel

"JANE ANONYMOUS follows two timelines: one while Jane was captured for 7 months and one after she is back home...."
Finding Mr. Better-Than-You

"FINDING MR. BETTER-THAN-YOU starts off like a cheesy romantic comedy, but ends up being a lot more fulfilling light-hearted YA..."
Freaky in Fresno

"FREAKY IN FRESNO is a spin on the old novel, FREAKY FRIDAY. Ricki (nickname for Lyric) had a falling out..."