Review Detail

The Selection FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 7353
Nice mix of fairy tale and dystopian world!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I’m team Maxon all the way!
Good Points
First off, thinking that this has a mix of fairy tale and dystopia is also what made the whole story interesting. Fairy tale that it gave me what I felt for most fairy tales finding their beloved princess or princess-to-be, marrying a handsome prince like Prince Maxon then ruling a kingdom this lady never thought she’ll ever be – and dystopia for living in a futuristic world of wars against the Northern and Southern rebels mostly from the lower castes who are hungry for wealth and survival. The dystopian world however hasn’t been explored much aside from the warring of the rebels in the palace since it’s focused on The Selection itself.

The Selection, as the title says, is about the grandest event in the kingdom of Illea (the new USA after the world wars) where the prince will choose among the 35 Selected his soon-to-be-wife-and-princess of Illea. These ladies go through stages of etiquette and historical classes with co-Selected ladies, public appearances and sweetest bonding with Prince Maxon to get to know him and prove to him that one of them is going to be a worthy princess to win his heart and support him in ruling the country.

Then as one of the Selected, we meet America Singer, our lady protagonist who’s a Five (next to average caste Four; Fives belong to people who work to entertain through music and art) is the Selected’s crowd favorite despite her stubbornness, mood swings and temper which made her way to the top and to Prince’s heart.

It’s great that I’ve also read The Prince before this that I’ve come to know Prince Maxon’s POV about The Selection, The Selected and how he felt about them especially America. It made me like him more when he stood by his decision as a man to accept her request despite the circumstances. In saying this, I knew The Selection won’t just be a simple choosing and survival of the most educated and beautiful but an almost real life heartwarming experience. :)
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
May 04, 2013
I am definatly a Maxon gal. I like how it was a princess story but the princess thing wasnt overly done
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)

0.0 (0)
Leonora Logroño has finally been introduced to her family’s bakery...
The Order of Time

0.0 (0)
“If you’re into secret societies, time-travel, dangerous artifacts, deadly assassins,...
Thomas Edison

0.0 (0)
Learn about the life of Thomas Edison in this early...
Pete the Cat: 5-Minute Bedtime Stories: Includes 12 Cozy Stories!

0.0 (0)
Join Pete the Cat for 12 groovy, cozy stories perfect...
Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm

0.0 (0)
As in Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl" and...
Literally: Amazing Words and Where They Come From

0.0 (0)
A stunning non-fiction picture book about the origins of the...
Ty's Travels: All Aboard!

0.0 (0)
Join Ty on his imaginative adventures in Ty's Travels: All...
Cuddle Close, Little Koala

0.0 (0)
A reassuring bedtime story about the special bond between a...
We Are Together

0.0 (0)
The power of love and friendship is celebrated in this...
Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)

0.0 (0)
Half-angel Trinity and her bonded gargoyle protector, Zayne, have been...
Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)

0.0 (0)
"A thrilling adventure, through a vibrant city as alive as...
Shadow of the Batgirl

0.0 (0)
Cassandra Cain, teenage assassin, isn't exactly Batgirl material...yet. Will she...
Of Ice and Shadows

0.0 (0)
The long-awaited sequel to Of Fire and Stars—in which Mare...
Agnes at the End of the World

0.0 (0)
The Handmaid's Tale meets Wilder Girls in this genre-defying novel...
My Love is All Around

0.0 (0)
Mommy Bear shows Baby Bear how love is all around...
I'm not a Mouse!

0.0 (0)
Olivia really doesn't like her nickname - mostly because it...

Latest Member Reviews

Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm

"'Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm' by Bella Kuligowska Zucker is an incredibly moving tale of the author's search..."
Beauty Mark: A Verse Novel of Marilyn Monroe

"What worked: Haunting, tragic tale of the life of Marilyn Monroe, told in verse which gives a powerful punch to..."
Hope in the Mail: Reflections on Writing and Life

"HOPE IN THE MAIL is an autobiographical account of the author’s life as it relates to her writing. Wendelin Van..."
Super Sons: The PolarShield Project

"An alternate reality take on the Super Sons series, featuring the middle-school aged offspring of Batman and Superman. When "climate..."
You Too?: 25 Voices Share Their #MeToo Stories

"What worked: Great compilation of personal essays inspired by the #YouToo movement. Each of the authors included in this anthology..."
This Is 18

"This is a fascinating view into what it's like to be a 18 year old girl throughout the world shown..."
They Called Us Enemy

"This graphic novel is an early life personal account of a major historical event (the internment of Japanese Americans durring..."
Poems to Live Your Life By

"POEMS TO LIVE YOUR LIFE BY is a collection in which each poem has been hand-picked by Chris Riddell, for..."
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

"One hundred years ago. When I was growing up, this seemed like an impossibly long time in the past. The..."
No Map, Great Trip: A Young Writer's Road to Page One

"'No Map, Great Trip: A Young Writer's Road to Page One' by Paul Fleischman tells the story of the author..."
When the World Didn’t End: Poems

"Caroline Kaufman, otherwise known as @poeticpoison, has published her latest poems in WHEN THE WORLD DIDN’T END. The collection, which..."
Suffragette: The Battle for Equality

"While there are a number of excellent books about women's suffrage available, including Kops' Alice Paul, Zimet's Roses and Radicals,..."