Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4968
Great World-Building Yet Somewhat Disappointing Follow-Up
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I, like many other Marissa Meyer fans, have waited longingly for over a year to read Scarlet . I did not even request an ARC of the novel because it came out a day before my birthday, and it made the perfect gift. (There is no denying that the temptation to get my hands on an ARC was strong.) When the book came in the mail, I petted it - LITERALLY petted it! It has ridden in my purse for a week, just so I can snatch moments to devour the pages. It was a whirlwind romance. Sadly though, it did not sweep me off my feet. I'm so sorry, Scarlet - it's not you, it's me.

No, I mean it, it really must be me. Scarlet had all of the fantastic qualities that Cinder had: strong heroine; Iko; fantastic mix of sci-fi and fairy tale (Meyer is beyond genius in her execution of this); Iko; deliciously evil villainess; Iko (you see where I'm going with this). Little Red Riding Hood is even one of my favorite fairy tales! Scarlet and Wolf had all of the makings of interesting literary characters, but I found myself resenting the time given to their story. The banter between Cinder, Captain Thorne, and Iko (and all combinations thereof) was delightful. Maybe it was just me wanting more of Cinder and her story that disrupted my enjoyment of the novel. Scarlet wasn't a bad character - she was just as strong and determined as Cinder. I just had trouble connecting with her after I spent so long waiting to rejoin Cinder on her journey. I can say that Wolf is far too broken of a bad boy for my taste, and maybe it was the mom in me that wanted to smack Scarlet for taking him along.

All griping aside, Meyer's world-weaving is genius. The most fun part of reading Meyer's works are figuring out where her storytelling intersects with the original fairy tales. I started reading the novel asking myself questions like, "Does Wolf want to eat grandmother?" and "Where is the huntsman?" I did not find all of my answers, but I can tell you without giving anything away that Little Red Riding Hood lives on grandmother's farm, and the Big Bad Wolf is a street-fighter with a Big Bad Secret that could potentially affect the entire world. Grandmother is also in possession of some secrets of her own, which wove the story in Scarlet well into The Lunar Chronicles. I loved being introduced to more of this futuristic Earth, and I honestly cannot wait to read
Winter , which is supposed to be set on the moon.

The fact that Scarlet did not completely work for me makes me no less a fan of The Lunar Chronicles, and I can still happily say it is the one of the most imaginative series currently being published. I'm dying to give Marissa Meyer another chance to make me swoon with Cress . Scarlet is an important building block for the series as a whole, and I will definitely reread it at a later date to see if my bad-naturedness truly played a part in my feelings about this book. I encourage you to check out these two blogs that gave Scarlet very high ratings: A Reader of Fictions and The Starry-Eyed Review .

3.5/5 Stars
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Sana Khan is a cheerleader and a straight A student....
Crown of Dragons

0.0 (0)
The normal world is an illusion. Separated from other realms...

0.0 (0)
At seventeen, June Hardie is everything a young woman in...
Butterfly Yellow

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Ibi Zoboi, and Erika...

0.0 (0)
The definitive collection of art, poetry, and prose, celebrating fat...

0.0 (0)
Seventh-grader Tristan Strong feels anything but strong ever since he...

0.0 (0)
Still reeling from her recent battle (and grounded until she...
Cog
Cog

0.0 (0)
Cog looks like a normal twelve-year-old boy. But his name...
Homerooms and Hall Passes

0.0 (0)
In the mystical realm of Bríandalör, every day the brave...
Susan B. Anthony: The Making of America #4

0.0 (0)
In the fourth installment in the Making of America series,...
Hazel's Theory of Evolution

0.0 (0)
Hazel knows a lot about the world. That’s because when...
Sublime Karma

0.0 (0)
When Brie’s stepfather moves the family for what he...
Goddess Ascending

0.0 (0)
Promised to the Light. Hunted by the Dark. Two...
Crown of Coral and Pearl

0.0 (0)
Nor once dreamed of seeing the wondrous wealth and...
#Murderfunding (#MurderTrending, #2)

0.0 (0)
WELCOME TO WHO WANTS TO BE A PAINIAC?, the...
Voyages in the Underworld of Orpheus Black

0.0 (0)
Harry Black is lost between the world of war...

Latest Member Reviews

The Giver (The Giver Quartet #1)

"I picked this book up to see if it would be appropriate for my precocious nine-year-old, and was blown away..."

"The novel opens with eleven-year-old Jonas awaiting his Ceremony of Twelve, where he will be assigned his career and begin..."

"A popular dystopian book written for young adults, though I believe many adults would enjoy the world that Lois Lowry..."

"This book was crucially character and perception-shaping for me when I first read it in sixth grade. Harsh, realistically poignant,..."

K Kat
"Out of all the books I’ve read in the past year, ‘Skellig’ has been one of the best. It was..."

"I remember reading this all the way back in sixth grade for English class. It was a pretty good book,..."

N/A
"I had to read this in 7th grade and 4 years later i still remember it clearly. I really loved..."

"I was able to identify with characters and events in the story so it made it much easier to read..."

"This is a great story to use to introduce dystopian novel-type stories. It also enhances the power and significance of..."
Number the Stars

"Loved it!"
Number the Stars

"I love books about World War 2, but this book isn't for me although it is still good."

"Somebody recently told me they didn’t like Lois Lowry’s "The Giver" because it was a dystopian novel disguised as a..."

"I wonder why utopias are so frightening. Jonas has a childhood many people would wish for. He has structure,..."
Number the Stars

IvyIvy
"This story takes place in Denmark during the Nazi invasion. Annemarie is a ten year old girl who's best friend..."

"The prose is sparse and clean, but the ideas are complex. I loved Jonas and it was interesting to slowly..."
Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables #2)

"Reading about the continuing adventures of Anne Shirley (and of course Gilbert!) is like settling in with an old friend..."

"Reader reviewed by becster   The Giver By Lois Lowry Review by Rebecca..."

"Reader reviewed by Miss B. As a third grade teacher, I have to say The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid..."
Baby

"Reader reviewed by Sammi Baby is a facinating book! In Baby, A basket is left on a family's driveway, in..."

"Reader reviewed by Christy "The Giver," by Lois Lowry is a terrific book.  The novel is about a boy growing..."