Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 8514
Shades of gray
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I honestly have no idea how to review this book, and that doesn’t happen often with me. Between Shades of Gray is something entirely outside my previous reading experiences. It’s not the subject matter—I’ve read about Soviet labor camps before. It’s not the prose—Sepetys didn’t astound me, though her writing was effective. And it wasn’t the characters—Lina and her mother and brother were nice but not anything new.

Maybe it was the combination of it all, the elements that came together and made this book. It’s just…this book gave me a lot to think about. It’s very intricate, and quite a bit more mature than your typical YA novel.

So the story is about Lina, a Lithuanian girl who is deported and taken to Siberia. She first works at a beet farm, and she stays there for about ten months. There she experiences her first love, has all of her childhood assumptions challenged. After than she’s dragged up to the top of the Arctic Circle, where she watches her friends and family slowly die off in the freezing cold. And when it seems like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel, the book ends.

But while I was disappointed that the book ended there, I think it was most likely a good choice. Lina was doomed to stay in the labor camps for decades longer, and while the struggle was survival, it was also about strength. And once Lina finds that she can maintain her strength in the situation she’s in, I guess the book had come to its natural conclusion. And by leaving things open-ended, Sepetys kept things realistic, as Lina couldn’t just “get out” of her situation by any means.
Lina’s character wasn’t super original or amazing, but the development of her personality was fantastic. We watch her go from a self-centered, naive 15 year old to a world-weary and resilient young woman. I loved watching that growth, as it was so subtle and delicately done.

And going back to the ending (it’s the best part, seriously), there was an epilogue that takes place in 1995, forty years after the main events in Between Shades of Gray. That epilogue was the final touch to this book—a taste of stark realism but also of hope.

Verdict: This is a hard book to talk about, but it’s a beautiful book to read. Between Shades of Gray defies classification, and I’m conflicted about it. There’s no doubt that I liked it, but I can’t explain to you why, nor can I explain what I didn’t like. I just know that I wanted more. More book, more story, more of everything. This book just is. And it’s definitely a recommended read.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Elysium Girls

0.0 (0)
From a lush, dazzlingly original new voice in young adult...

0.0 (0)
Ali McMillian almost drowned. It wasn’t a run-of-the-mill accident either;...
Girls With Razor Hearts

0.0 (0)
Make me a girl with a razor heart… ...
Moonscript

0.0 (0)
"It is said that Darkness is empty and whatever vanishes...
The Lucky Ones

0.0 (0)
For fans of Thirteen Reasons Why, This Is How It...

0.0 (0)
A captivating and utterly original fairy tale about a girl...
Meet Me at Midnight

0.0 (0)
They have a love-hate relationship with summer. ...
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this epic sequel to Once & Future, to save...
11004295_10203571569113600_1962266189_n.jpg

3.8 (2)

0.0 (0)
*****Best YA Book & Author of the Year***** The...
We Unleash the Merciless Storm

0.0 (0)
Being a part of the resistance group La Voz...
The Everything I Have Lost

0.0 (0)
12-year-old Julia keeps a diary about her life growing...
Salty, Bitter, Sweet

0.0 (0)
A slow-burn romance in a cutthroat kitchen! There’s more...
Brown Girl Ghosted

0.0 (0)
Violet Choudhury may be part of the popular clique...
Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this electrifying YA sequel to Beware the Night,...
Something New

0.0 (0)
Cassie Briggs never thought she’d be married at age sixteen—especially...
Crave

0.0 (0)
My whole world changed when I stepped inside the academy....

Latest Member Reviews

Girls With Razor Hearts

"Now that Mena and the other girls have escaped Innovations Academy, they find their past hasn't left them. Mena vows..."
The Lady Rogue

"THE LADY ROGUE is an absolutely thrilling historical fiction/fantasy. In the vein of THE MUMMY but in Romania and with..."
This Cruel Design

"Feedback This book…. What do I have to say about this book…. I have such a love/hate relationship with it...."
There's Something About Sweetie

"Sandhya Menon's backlist is full of romantic, heartfelt stories, and THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE is no exception. Sweetie Nair is..."
The Geography of Lost Things

"THE GEOGRAPHY OF LOST THINGS by Jessica Brody is a YA contemporary novel that begins with Ali needing to sell..."
Sanctuary

"X-men Gen X (i.e. the teen version) meets Aliens-lite in this survival-in-space story. Told in first-person past-tense from..."
Confessions of a High School Disaster

"Confessions of a High School Disaster is the first installment of the Chloe Snow series. I read the second installment..."
A Kiss in the Dark

"WHAT I LOVED: Macy is a likable, layered character and her narration flows easily. Even when my frustration mounted..."
The Year of Living Awkwardly

"Chloe Snow is a high school sophomore who is struggling with the abandonment of her mother. She also is absorbed..."

""Pretties" is a continuation of the Uglies series where Tally Youngblood has now returned to the city and become a..."
The Wicked Deep

"The promise of a novel filled with the essence of both Practical Magic and Hocus Pocus is fulfilled by reading..."
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone

"You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone was one of the last books I read in 2017 and I couldn't have..."
The Last Magician

"The Last Magician was a magical and exciting novel set in 1902 that featured time-travel, magic and gangs in New..."
When Dimple Met Rishi

"A contemporary YA romance—heavy on the romance—with an Indian-American take on the attraction of opposites. The story is told..."
Light Years

" Thank you so much Simon Pulse and the FFBC for providing me with a e-arc for review. In compliance..."
When Dimple Met Rishi

"When Dimple Met Rishi was on my most anticipated list for this year. One of the things I love about..."
Light Years

"A dystopian-leaning mid-apocalyptic YA with a pandemic premise and a code savvy heroine. The book takes place in a..."
The Museum of Heartbreak

"I really relate to this book very much. Most especially with Pen. This book was so honest. Many symbolisms but..."
Want

"This book is stellar! Truthfully, I came across this book blindly. I don't have a lot of information about..."
Blacksouls

" I did find some of the descriptions of ‘Teach’ and ‘Anne’ and ‘Cara’ and ‘Coyle’ a little sanctimonious..."