Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2239
Hallowed
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Cynthia Hand’s first novel, Unearthly, was my first-ever angel book, and I really lucked out with it. I think it’ll always be special to me. However, when it came to reading the sequel, Hallowed, I was less than eager because it was obviously going to have some intense love triangle business. And I’ve never been a fan of love triangles. But I finally caved and decided to try it out.

So, let’s talk about the love triangle. Christian vs. Tucker, angel boy vs. cowboy. Towards the middle of the second half, I was getting annoyed by the whole “we’re destined to be together” spiel. I just hate the idea that Clara has no free will and has to be with Christian because that’s their God-given “purpose.”

However, Hand did manage to handle things pretty well. I still don’t like love triangles, but I think the author did a good job with hers. Clara did make the final decision for herself, and there was closure at the end. Sad, heartbreaking closure, but there was closure. Of course, I’m sure that we’re not done with either guy, so we’ll see.

Otherwise, though, I still like Clara as a main character. She’s independent and strong, and she definitely didn’t like it when Christian tried to convince her that she didn’t have a choice in falling in love with him. I find her situation interesting, actually. She’s a girl who strongly believes that Edward Cullen isn’t a dreamboat (she says so—yay pop culture references!), but she’s stuck in a situation where it looks like her only option is to go along with this guy, even if she isn’t sure she wants to.

I really admire Hand for trying out that characterization, because it wold only be too easy for Clara to have succumbed to Swan Syndrome.

That actual plot for Hallowed is, well…kind of heartbreaking. Clara keeps having these dream-visions of a funeral, and she knows someone close to her is going to die. This is where I love Hand’s ability to bring reality into her paranormal novel. Dealing with death is a very realistic, human thing to face. Sure, there’s a Dark Wing bad dude after Clara, which is a nice conflict, but I liked Hand’s touch of reality too.

Yet while there are a lot of sad elements in Hallowed, I wouldn’t say this is a sad book. It’s got a pretty positive spin to it, and in the end things are looking up for Clara and her crew of angel buddies. Book number three, Boundless, is pretty promising, and I’ll definitely continue with the series from here.

Oh! And just as an aside, if you’re going to use a foreign language in your book, make sure you get that checked over. Hand had a few errors with her Spanish, which I’m 98% sure weren’t intentional.

I’ve still only read three angel books so far, and since Cynthia Hand has done such a good job, I’m not sure if I need to read any more. Hallowed is a great book with a touching plot and a likable protagonist.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

0.0 (0)
Sometimes a battle isn't waged on a bloody field. ...
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Red Queen,...

0.0 (0)
The world is brimming full of incredible inventions - but...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
The night my sister was born, the stars died and...

0.0 (0)
He thinks she's shallow, she thinks he's a nerd. What...
Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

0.0 (0)
A groovy New York Times bestseller! ...
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

0.0 (0)
If you knew that creating singularity between your mind...
Our Year of Love and Parties

0.0 (0)
In this poignant, funny, and romantic novel, four nights...
Strayborn

0.0 (0)
Elemental Manipulation is tricky. Only those with the power can...
The Path Divided

0.0 (0)
Every choice has a consequence. When a magical picture...

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Marlee Stanley joins her two sisters and the...
Shadowscent

0.0 (0)
An Ember in the Ashes meets Indiana Jones in...
Reverie

0.0 (0)
Inception meets The Magicians, except with better wigs and...
Dark Saints Academy: The Soul Catcher

0.0 (0)
They call me the Dark Queen… Ryleigh...
Scarred

0.0 (0)
Life leaves you scarred. Love can make you beautiful....

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....

Latest Member Reviews

Good Day, Good Night

"GOOD DAY, GOOD NIGHT follows a bunny on his journey from sun-up to sunset, as he travels around town, plays..."
Little Tigers

"After hearing humans and their dogs nearby, Mother Tiger knows it's time for them to find somewhere safer to live...."
One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller

"ONE FOX counts from one to ten in a thrilling way. The fox is hunting for some food and he..."
Bernard Pepperlin

"Bernard Pepperlin is the doormouse from Alice in Wonderland. After being forced into a teapot, Bernard climbs out to find..."
Wild Honey from the Moon

"WILD HONEY FROM THE MOON is a story of boundless love and a mother's quest. Mother Shrew is worried about..."
Kindness Rules! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

"KINDNESS RULES! is a fun new manners book, perfect for preschoolers. Magic Manners, an elephant who knows her stuff, teaches..."
Roar Like a Dandelion

"A unique alphabet book, ROAR LIKE A DANDELION is filled with instructional that are sure to spark some giggles. Each..."
The Bear and the Star

"THE BEAR AND THE STAR is an elegant, Christmas-style book. Bear knows that it is time and so he finds..."
I Do Not Like That Name

"I DO NOT LIKE THAT NAME features a girl, Sophie, and her rabbit, Herb, as they order an elephant from..."
The Love Letter

"Lovely, endearing, and heartfelt, THE LOVE LETTER demonstrates the power of telling someone how much you care. Hedgehog, Bunny, and..."
The Wobbly Waitress

"THE WOBBLY WAITRESS is a silly read that will make young children giggle. Mabel is a giraffe waitress at the..."
Professor Renoir’s Collection of Oddities, Curiosities, and Delights

"PROFESSOR RENOIR'S COLLECTION OF ODDITIES, CURIOSITIES, AND DELIGHTS primarily follows Babe, a fourteen-year-old girl who has gigantism. She already stands..."
Little Rabbit Lost

"LITTLE RABBIT LOST follows Little Rabbit as he celebrates his birthday with his family. Little Rabbit wakes up feeling grown..."
Kindergarten A-D Reader Box Set - Funny Furry Tales

"The collection of FUNNY FURRY TALES includes entertaining stories that will make your child want to read. There are sixteen..."
Shifting Shadows (Bravelands #4)

"Ever since the death of Stinger, things have gotten worse in the Bravelands. Thorn is under constant pressure to become..."
Will Giraffe Laugh?

"When Giraffe wakes up, he feels grumpy and doesn't want to smile. His friends want to cheer him up so..."
Zen Happiness

"ZEN HAPPINESS features twelve different Zen sayings. The first one is "We are born again with each new day." ZEN..."
Baby Love

"BABY LOVE has been redone as a board book with a mirror. The characters are animals and it's about what..."
Animal Stories (BOB Books)

"The pacing and simplistic words in the set ANIMAL STORIES (BOB BOOKS) is just what the emerging reader needs. The..."