Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1001
Lovely Debut from an Author to Watch
Timespell is Diana Paz's debut young adult novel that follows three protagonists: Julia, Angie, and Kaitlyn. We enter the story with Julia and Angie looking for the the third Daughter of Fate, who is necessary to seal their magic, or they will lose it when Angie turns seventeen. Julia and Angie have been friends for years, and Angie was raised knowing that she had magic. She has already sealed Julia to her, and they both have been mentored in their magical powers by Indira, a mysterious woman with a great store of knowledge about the Daughters of Fate. Through her, they have learned that their job will be to keep the monsters of Mythos and the Sorceress from destroying time. There have been no Daughters joined together in centuries and much rides on them to complete that magic. When it is discovered that Kaitlyn (the reason for Angie breaking up with her boyfriend) is to be their third – and bound to them for all time – they are less than enthusiastic about joining forces with her and ready to give up their magic. However, the arrival of the mysterious Ethan pushes the girls to choose to join together. What follows is betrayal and a whole lot of drama.

Angie, Julia, and Kaitlyn are typical teenaged, high school girls and all the implications thereof. That is to say, none of them are without their faults. Angie does not want to forgive Kaitlyn, Julia’s commitment to her boyfriend is questionable, and Kaitlyn is a jealous mean girl through and through. Julia and Angie are already best friends, which does not make it easy for Kaitlyn being a part of the group. This leads to an interesting dynamic as the girls have to learn to work together in their assignments from Fate. There are catfights left and right as they make mistakes while learning to use their powers as a team. Most of the chapters are from Angie and Julia’s points of view, but there is enough from Kaitlyn to show why she is the way she is. The girls are interesting and very realistic.

The best part of Timespell is the world-building. Mythological creatures like gorgons and minotaurs, who enter the world through portals to wreck havoc, are great nemeses because the Daughters are unable to kill them with their magic. One of the last Daughters betrayed her sisters and joined forces with the Sorceress. However, the real treat is the way Diana Paz fleshes out this all out. Each scene was vivid, whether it was Venice Beach or 18th Century France. (The novel being yo-yoed between the two is genius as the beach and France are both places that most people dream about visiting.) Details for the clothing and surroundings are expertly described in each scene, past and present. When I was reading Timespell , I felt like I was there and did not want to put it down.

Timespell is a very strong debut that I think will appeal to teens and older readers alike. Even though the drama between the girls was not my thing, I enjoyed being sucked in to the rich world. I think Diana Paz is an author to watch, and I look forward to reading her work in the future.

3.5 Stars

To satisfy FTC guidelines, I am disclosing that I received a copy of the book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. It has in no way affected the outcome. All opinions expressed are rambling, honest, and completely my own.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Small Zombie Problem (Zombie Problems, #1)

0.0 (0)
In his fiction debut--and the start of a new series--celebrated...
My Funny Bunny

0.0 (0)
When a boy receives a gift box from his uncle...
Kindness Rules! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
Manners don’t come naturally to everyone! But did you know...
Teeny Tiny Ghost

0.0 (0)
An adorable spooky twist on "The Teeny Tiny Woman" that's...
A Pumpkin for Peter: A Peter Rabbit Tale

0.0 (0)
Hop into the world of Peter Rabbit and his friends...
Solving for M

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Raymie Nightingale and The Fourteenth Goldfish,...
A Parade of Elephants

0.0 (0)
New York Times–bestselling and Caldecott Medalist Kevin Henkes follows five...
My Fate According To The Butterfly

0.0 (0)
When superstitious Sab sees a giant black butterfly, an omen...
The Rough Patch

0.0 (0)
A Caldecott Honor Book An...
Sunny's Tow Truck Saves the Day!

0.0 (0)
When a family car gets a flat on the way...
How to Be a Cat

0.0 (0)
In cut-paper artist Nikki McClure’s latest picture book, a kitten...
TBH, IDK What's Next (TBH, #4)

0.0 (0)
Three BFFs set out to have the BEST SUMMER EVER...
Finding Esme

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Esme’s life changes when she discovers dinosaur bones on...
Five Little Pumpkins on Halloween Night

0.0 (0)
Join these happy pumpkins in a cheerful rhyming countdown, in...
Wreck: A Novel

0.0 (0)
Set on the shores of Lake Superior, Wreck follows high...
The Madman of Piney Woods

0.0 (0)
Benji and Red couldn't be more different. They aren't friends....

Latest Member Reviews

My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life

"Sixteen-year-old foster kid Elle Zoellner's life turns topsy turvy when a father, she never knew about, wants her to move..."
Truly Madly Royally

"I’d be lying if I didn’t say that half of the reason why I read this was because it’s a..."
Finding Esme

"Esme feels alone. Her much-loved grandfather died, her dad deserted the family, her mom has mentally checked out, and her..."
House of Salt and Sorrows

"Annaleigh just wanted to be in charge of the lighthouse close to her island home. Rumors circulate on the island..."
Wreck: A Novel

"WRECK is a heart-wrenching story about a teenage girl on the brink of college as she discovers her father's life-altering..."
Reverie

"REVERIE is a captivating and unique YA fantasy without adequate comparisons. The book follows Kane, a teenage boy who was..."
Coral

"CORAL is not a fairytale retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID- while it may have been inspired by some of the..."
You Are The Everything

"YOU ARE THE EVERYTHING is an intriguing stream-of-consciousness style read that follows Elyse Schmidt, a 16/17 year old girl who..."
The Last Hope

"I honestly don’t know where to begin! The Last Hope by Krista & Becca Ritchie picks up thirty days after..."

"Most books about a school shooting would start with the horrific event at the center of story, but EVERY MOMENT..."
The Bone Houses

"THE BONE HOUSES is a beautifully crafted and full engrossing YA fantasy with some horror aspects. Aderyn (Ryn) is a..."
The Silence Between Us

"THE SILENCE BETWEEN US is an #ownvoices story about Maya, a senior in high school who has just moved with..."
Beasts of the Frozen Sun

"BEASTS OF THE FROZEN SUN features lush world-building, compelling characters, and a captivating plot that make it an engrossing read...."
Snow & Rose

"NOTE: Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."
Where I End and You Begin

"All Ezra wants to do is ask his crush Imogen to the prom. But when he and his friend Holden..."
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

"When Edie moves back to Mansfield to life with her aunt, uncle, and two cousins, she is reunited with her..."
The Beholder

"When Selah's proposal to her childhood crush is rejected, she is sent away on a boat to meet possible suitors...."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"THE BURNING SHADOW is a fantastic and thrilling continuation of the spin-off Origin series. Just like the original series, there..."
Gods of Jade and Shadow

"Eighteen-year-old Casiopea feels trapped in her rich grandfather’s home in southern Mexico. She wants to leave their small town and..."

"THE HIVE by Barry Lyga and Morgan Baden is a YA sci-fi novel set in the near future. In this..."