Review Detail

Spine Chilling Retelling
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Background: Seventeen year old Sophia is used to being spoiled by her mysterious godfather, Monsieur Bernard de Cressac. However when her father passes away she is given an offer she cannot refuse, to live with her godfather in his very lavish estate in Mississippi. He is a very mysterious and dark man and Sophia soon learns that her godfather may have more secrets than she bargained for. Nickerson creates a beautiful and exciting retelling of the famous tale of 'Bluebeard'.

Review: I received this book in various formats, which was great. I could experience it in a variety of media formats. I started with an e-book, then received ARCs and an audiobook. I dabbled in all of them. I also have a giveaway on the blog for one of my ARCs.

I really enjoyed this story and had to put it down only to try to slow down my reading, I didn't want to miss anything or take any detail for granted.

The plot is full of suspense, intermingled with spine chilling realizations and blood curdling non-gentlemanly actions. I found that Jane Nickerson's writing was a delight. It was beautifully composed and the historical elements only added to the ambiance of the plot.

Sophia, our heroine, is a bit naive and stubborn, but soon realizes her folly and tries to assert herself within the household of M. de Cressac. Sadly, she finds out very horrible things about her, now, captor.

The whole time there is a feeling of disgust with everything M. de Cressac does and it is NOT wrong to feel that way. I was not disappointed with his horrific character or the part he played, only that he did send shivers up my spine on many occasions.

This may be a slow moving book for some, most of the suspense is in emotions and psychological rather than running, chasing, and such. I did not feel this way but was a little taken aback by the time it took to get to the plots apex, and when it finally did, I felt the book was immediately over...

Overall I felt this was a beautiful retelling of a horrifying fairy tale.
Good Points
Suspenseful
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

How to Make Friends with the Dark

0.0 (0)
Here is what happens when your mother dies. ...
Girl at Heart

0.0 (0)
As the daughter of a successful Major League pitcher, Charlie...
Serious Moonlight

0.0 (0)
After an awkward first encounter, Birdie and Daniel are forced...
Sway

0.0 (0)
In Kat Spears’s hilarious and often poignant debut, high school...
Scarlet Epstein Hates it Here

0.0 (0)
Meet Scarlett Epstein, BNF (Big Name Fan) in her online...
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Renée Ahdieh returns with...
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth...
The Boy Who Dreamt the World

0.0 (0)
Adam is living the dream, literally.... There are two...
Colliding Skies

0.0 (0)
Since Skye Reilly can remember, she has been looking...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history,...
Dating Nashville

0.0 (0)
Becks: How does a straight guy accidentally come out...
Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

0.0 (0)
A young adult anthology featuring fictional stories of everyday...
I Know When You're Going To Die

0.0 (0)
Leonardo Cantrell is a painfully shy sixteen-year-old who cannot look...
Dog and Rabbit

0.0 (0)
A funny, sweet story of unrequited friendship from the creator...
I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

0.0 (0)
Lena and Campbell aren't friends. ...
Symptoms of a Heartbreak

0.0 (0)
The youngest doctor in America, an Indian-American teen makes her...

Latest Member Reviews

Everybody Says Meow

N/A
"What I Loved: This is one of those books that you can't help but smile while you read, even..."
Goldilocks For Dinner

"What I loved: The illustrations in this book are unique and eye catching, engaging the children from the outset. The..."
The Wobbly Waitress

"THE WOBBLY WAITRESS is a silly read that will make young children giggle. Mabel is a giraffe waitress at the..."
King & Kayla and the Case of Found Fred

"After a swim, King smells someone new and he discovers a dog named Fred. Fred has lost his family, but..."
Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi #1)

"Sal is new to Culeco, a school for the performing arts in Miami, having moved there with his Papi and..."
Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go on a Class Trip (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat #3)

"Library copy Sassy and Waldo are super excited to go to the city museum (even though their..."
New Kid

"'New Kid' by Jerry Craft follows main character Jordan, a seventh grader who wants to go to an art school,..."
Dragons Eat Noodles on Tuesdays

"DRAGONS EAT NOODLES ON TUESDAY is a silly story about two monsters who are trying to tell a story. However,..."
The Very Impatient Caterpillar

"THE VERY IMPATIENT CATERPILLAR is a laugh-out-loud story that will charm parents and young children alike. The very impatient caterpillar..."
Stick Dog Gets the Tacos (Stick Dog #9)

"When Karen comes back from looking for barbecue potato chips in a garbage can that a dog is being abused,..."
Yay for Vaycay! (Pug Pals #2)

"Sunny and Rosy's human packs for vacation, but doesn't take her beloved dogs with her! Instead, they get to visit..."
Swap'd

" Allie gets tickets to Game On Con because of her previous coding experiences, and wants her friend from coding..."
Frankfurt

"What I Loved: -The adorable Frankfurt- What this picture book does best is offer a truly adorable and humorous dog..."
Stick Cat: Two Cats and a Baby (#4)

"Life is good for Stick Cat and Edith now that their owners Goose and Tiffany have married. Stick Cat enjoys..."
Bird and Squirrel All Tangled Up

" Red, Squirrel, and Birdie are a happy family, but Squirrel is very anxious about letting Birdie do anything at..."
Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Start a Club by Accident (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat #2)

"Sassy and Waldo still love going to school (What? You haven't read Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go To..."
Chicken Talk

"Farmer Otis, his wife Abby, and his children Willie and Belle love their chickens. They also have a rooster named..."
The Impossible Crime (Mac B., Kid Spy #2)

"Mac is calmly playing mini golf when the queen of England phones him yet again for help. She is afraid..."
How to Defeat a Wizard (Marty Pants #3)

"Marty is still at war with Simon, and irritated beyond belief that everyone thinks the other boy is charming when..."