Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1323
Racing California
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I really am not a big fan of sports novels, nor do I follow pro cycling, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this novel. It's about a regular highschool kid who gets the chance of a lifetime to take part in a cycling race around California on his hero's team. If you're like me and don't know anything about cycling or the terms used in the sport, you don't have to worry about becoming lost because the book makes it easy to understand.

By the time that the race took place I found myself excited to find out what happened next and how it would all end. The race itself in this novel was exciting and I was on the edge of my seat rooting for Evan and the pro athlete's that had him on their team. The novel does have some twists that I didn't see coming and they really added to the overall story.

I had a few issues with the beginning of this book. It starts out pretty slowly and I found myself trying to push my way through it. I didn't want to continue through the first half and I came pretty close to putting the book down and not finishing. I am pretty glad I stuck with it though. Another thing that I didn't like was the fact that Evan was pretty dramatic. It's like when something bad would happen to him, everyone was trying to crush his dreams and that really bothered me. He also put racing ahead of everything else, like his girlfriend, school and even his parents and that seemed kind of immature.

Overall, this book was quick read. Cycling and Non-cycling fans alike will find themselves understanding the story and enjoying the action that the Tour of California brings.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Personalized Notebook Doodles Adorable Pets Coloring Book

0.0 (0)
From hamsters and hermit crabs to cats and canaries, you'll...
The Last Summer

0.0 (0)
For the first eleven years of their lives, neighbors Lila...
The Falling in Love Montage

0.0 (0)
Two girls embark on a summer of montage-worthy dates (with...
Super Puzzletastic Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America

0.0 (0)
Bestselling author Chris Grabenstein and the Mystery Writers of America...
Beauty Mark: A Verse Novel of Marilyn Monroe

0.0 (0)
In a powerful novel in verse, an award-winning author offers...

0.0 (0)
Anger, hurt, and rejection threaten Joshua’s ability to save the...

0.0 (0)
Bernita, a teenager from a prominent South American family, knows...

0.0 (0)
How do you fix a computer glitch that disappears before...
Hope in the Mail: Reflections on Writing and Life

0.0 (0)
Part writing guide and part memoir, this inspiring book from...
Daniela and the Pirate Girls

0.0 (0)
Who hasn’t heard of the legendary vessel, the Black Croc!...
Child of Galaxies

0.0 (0)
Your body was made from the stuff of the stars,...
Shy Ones

0.0 (0)
He's not the type to stand out. In fact, unless...
You Brought Me the Ocean

0.0 (0)
The voices that shaped LGBTQ Young Adult literature, Lambda Award-Winning...
The Most Dangerous Place on Earth

0.0 (0)
In an idyllic community of wealthy California families, new teacher...
Slamdown Town

0.0 (0)
Ollie and his older brother, Hollis, have wrestling in their...
The Speed of Starlight: An Exploration of Physics, Sound, Light, and Space

0.0 (0)
A contemporary exploration of physics, light, and sound told through...

Latest Member Reviews

The Suicide Journal

"The Suicide Journal is novella centered around a teenager named Cal. The story essentially centers around Cal's decision to kill..."
Legacy of Light (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 2)

"FEEDBACK Well, this story has gone in a completely different direction than I expected it to. Davion didn’t die..."
Rising

"The story: In a dystopian future, the former state of Alaska is now home to what remains..."
Call of the Rift: Flight

"The Call of the Rift: Flight by Jae Waller is the first book in an alternate-historical fantasy about Kateiko, a..."
The Parkour Club

"I learned a lot about parkour and also Islam from this book. I appreciate a book that focuses around a..."
The Parkour Club

"Adventure, sport, romance and cross-cultural understanding"
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)

"Future collides with the past in Legacy by Jesikah Sundin, the first book in her series The Biodome Chronicles. Following..."
Glass Kingdom

"I have read many Cinderella retellings in my life. It's a story I have always loved and been drawn to...."
Two Worlds of Provenance (Two Worlds, #1)

"An intriguing world. The story: Maray is an American girl living in Vienna with just..."
The Omen of Stones

"An intriguing follow up. The Story: River and Omen were born on the same..."
Golden Crown

"This series has blown me away. For those who don't know me, I am low key obsessed with Tangled. And..."
Golden Chains

"All right, so I loved Golden Curse, but I LOVED this second book. The story picks..."
Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)

"When a weird light shoots from Brea and strikes her best friend, she's designated as mentally unstable and sent to..."
Heartmender

"I loved writing this book and I hope you all enjoy reading it! "
Moonscript

"4.5 stars! An elf haunted by his past, a girl dissatisfied with her monotonous present, a withered king looking..."
Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

"Going into this book, I didn’t know what to expect, other than a hella good fantasy story, like all of..."
Twisted Pines

"Children are disappearing at a camp and coming back confused, with no memory of what happened. Abe, one of the..."
Ghosting You

"The story: In a small town in Georgia, Tommy is still mourning the loss of his best..."
Fae's Destruction (Queens of the Fae Book 3)

"What a ride! Fae’s Destruction by M. Lynn & Melissa A. Craven is the final book in their series Queens..."
Perfectly Summer

"Perfectly Summer by Robin Daniels is the third installment in The Perfect Series, and this time focuses on Levi London..."