Shards and Ashes Featured
Young Adult Fiction 1798
A Quick Read for Fans of the Contributing Authors
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What I Loved:
Anthologies are ever a mixed bag. Rarely will a reader love every single story, and, in this case, I didn't even like most of them. However, I can give this anthology some higher praise than some where I liked more of the stories: it's more consistent. The stories are all easy to read and fast-paced. Generally, there's at least one story that's like pulling teeth to get through, but, even the ones I didn't like, moved right along and kept me entertained. Marr and Armstrong's anthology keeps the reader engaged and moving forward.

Shards & Ashes is a very easy read, and considers a wide variety of dystopian/post-apocalyptic scenarios. If you're a reader who usually avoids dystopian stories because you don't like science fiction, this might be more up your alley, since most of them are more fantasy-based.

What Left Me Wanting More:
The downside of a lot of these stories was the focus on romance. In a short story, there's just not enough time for world building and setting up a convincing romance, and I think that in a post-apocalyptic anthology, the world building should be the first qualification. Romance can be present, but it should be added in later, not the central focus. Obviously, a couple stories didn't focus on romance at all, like Kami Garcia's, but the bulk of them did.

The Final Verdict:
The ideal audience for Shards & Ashes consists of those who loved the books of most of these authors. It's a nice quick read, and I think the stories will meet with approval from the fan base. If you're primary qualification is a world building, you might want to pass on this one.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
March 15, 2013
Oh blerg. Short stories are pretty hit and miss for me, but I'm almost guaranteed not to like them if they have a heavy focus on romance. I'll still give this one a try since I have an ARC, but my expectations are pretty low.
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

In My Heart

0.0 (0)
A working mother reassures her child that even when they’re...
Grandpa's Stories

0.0 (0)
One young girl reflects on a year with her beloved...
The Nest That Wren Built

0.0 (0)
Nature lovers and poetry fans alike will be drawn to...
Moonwalker

0.0 (0)
So, you want to know about Jack Wilson? Here’s some...
Elysium Girls

0.0 (0)
From a lush, dazzlingly original new voice in young adult...
The Lost Legends

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
A plague. A prophecy. A centuries-long curse. All her...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this...
Girls With Razor Hearts

0.0 (0)
Make me a girl with a razor heart… It’s...
Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children #5)

0.0 (0)
The fifth installment in Seanan McGuire's award-winning, bestselling Wayward...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. The upheaval in...

0.0 (0)
Ali McMillian almost drowned. It wasn’t a run-of-the-mill accident either;...
Ember Queen (Ash Princess, #3)

0.0 (0)
The thrilling conclusion to the New York Times bestselling...
Moonscript

0.0 (0)
"It is said that Darkness is empty and whatever vanishes...
The Lucky Ones

0.0 (0)
For fans of Thirteen Reasons Why, This Is How It...
Girl, Serpent, Thorn

0.0 (0)
A captivating and utterly original fairy tale about a girl...
Meet Me at Midnight

0.0 (0)
They have a love-hate relationship with summer. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Elysium Girls

"ELYSIUM GIRLS is an engaging YA historical fantasy/dystopian. In the 1930s, an area of Oklahoma suddenly got cut off from..."
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

"SWORD IN THE STARS is a satisfying conclusion to a delightful YA fantasy retelling of King Arthur in space! Picking..."
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

"THE GUINEVERE DECEPTION by Kiersten White is the first book in a YA retelling of the classic Arthurian legend. Guinevere,..."
Crave

"CRAVE is a really engaging new YA fantasy/paranormal romance that follows Grace in the first person. Grace lost her parents..."
Ember Queen (Ash Princess, #3)

"EMBER QUEEN is a great conclusion to the Ash Princess trilogy. Picking up right where book 2 left off, Theo..."
Lady Smoke (Ash Princess, #2)

"LADY SMOKE is every bit as addictive as the first in this engrossing trilogy. Picking up where the first book..."
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

"The Queen's Assassin is a fantasy romance geared toward the younger YA reader. It is told from the first person..."
Ash Princess (Ash Princess, #1)

"ASH PRINCESS is an engaging YA fantasy that takes us to the conquered land of Astrea. Theodosia's mother, the Fire..."
The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)

"THE MIDNIGHT LIE is a lush and atmospheric YA fantasy. The book transports us to another world, where people are..."
Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)

"DEFY THE SUN is a fantastic conclusion to this YA fantasy duology. This book picks up right where the first..."
The Winter Duke

"THE WINTER DUKE is a thrilling YA fantasy that takes place in a world where magic is controlled by a..."
Seven Deadly Shadows

"Sixteen-year-old Kira Fujikawa loves helping at her family shrine. She also has a paranormal ability. She sees the not only..."
The Shadows Between Us

"THE SHADOWS BETWEEN US is the highly devourable YA fantasy I have been searching for! This is an enthralling story..."

"The Betrothed is a brand new YA-novel set in the 15th century by Kiera Cass, whom we all know from..."
Pet
Pet

"Recently recognized as a National Book Award finalist and a Stonewall Honor book, Pet is also Akwaeke Emezi’s YA debut..."
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

"THE QUEEN'S ASSASSIN is a YA fantasy romance that would appeal to younger YA readers. The book follows Shadow and..."
Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars #1)

"SCAVENGE THE STARS is an engaging YA fantasy that gripped me from the start. Amaya, or Silverfish, is a girl..."
Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

"Isn't great to finish a series and feel satisfied? Sword and Pen by Rachel Caine is the final book in..."
Woven in Moonlight

"Woven in Moonlight is a beautiful and lush fantasy, based on the culture and history of Bolivia. It is set..."
Ink in the Blood (Ink in the Blood Duology #1)

"INK IN THE BLOOD is an engaging and atmospheric YA fantasy. Celia Sand was delighted when she was chosen to..."