Review Detail

Nobody FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 5154
A different kind of sci-fi mystery!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Nobody is nothing like I thought it would be - this is definitely something that I would not have picked up. I am so very happy that I agreed to review it.
I did struggle with the first part of the book, and even though there were things that made me cringe and not understand, it kept me intrigued enough to get through the first 18 chapters, which in my opinion, is when it started to finally flow, connect and got really, really interesting.
Jennifer Lynn Barnes' spin on sci-fi has really blown me away. The realistic secret-organization and characters that she created are like no others that I have ever read before.

First, here's a brief description of what a Nobody is...
a Nobody is a person that has a DNA glitch that allows them to go unintentionally undetected. No one remembers them; they are easily forgotten and no one cares for them. If aware of their abilities, Nobodies can make themselves invisible, enough to be able to walk through things. Nobodies are rarely ever spoken to, acknowledged, touched... or loved.

Claire is your typical teen trying to get by. But no matter what she does, every one seems to forget about her. And she doesn't understand why. What did she ever do to the world? Why is she ignored? Forgotten? To the point that her parents have to leave sticky notes around the house in order to remind themselves to inquire about her. She is left alone all the time. Maybe they never wanted to have a child.
But Claire tries to keep an upbeat attitude full of hope. Her books are her solace, her escape, her friends. She daydreams of a day that something will happen to her and no one will be able to look away.
My heart broke for Claire. Her loneliness rips into you. Why would people not take the time to speak to this smart and pretty girl? Claire has her moments, but only allows herself small periods of self-pity. She's hopeful of something happening to change things for the better.
Until she meets Nix.

Nix.
Nix grew up under the secret-organizations trainers and tutors. From his first memory, he was constantly told that he was nothing and that no one would ever care for him. That he is unlovable because he is a Nobody. He was raised to be an assassin. To kill Nulls. Nulls are soulless people - they can't show emotion, they don't care nor love. Nulls are very selfish and they have the ability to manipulate everyone around them to do their bidding. Nix has to keep the Normals, regular humans, safe. The Sensors, humans with one or more special sense (heightened sense of smell, hearing, etc.) track them down and only Nix is able to get rid of Nulls.
His newest Null assignment is Claire.

But Claire sees Nix. And she knows what he's about to do. But, he's looking right at her.
Nix sees Claire. He must do what he was assigned to do. But she's looking right at him.

I do not consider this an insta-love situation at all. The shock of having eye-contact with someone - something that has never happened in their entire lives - this will bring on a huge amount of curiosity A connection of familiarity, understanding. Jennifer Lynn Barnes' writing really impressed me - the way she was able to break Nix down. Build Claire up. Make them stronger, and weaker. Claire and Nix's relationship is undeniable. The fact that they are similar and quite possibly the only one's to exist draws them together, but can also tear them a part.

What if there are other Nobody's out there?
What about Nix's other assignments? Were they all Nulls?

SO many questions! So many twists and turns! It turned into a page-turner for me and I enjoyed it very much! I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking to read something out of their comfort zone, who likes sci-fi, suspense and mysteries.
I do have to warn you, there are a few graphic descriptions to some of Nix's assignments and past that made me cringe and squirm a bit. But overall, a great read indeed!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Sorcery of Thorns

0.0 (0)
All sorcerers are evil. Elisabeth has known that as long...
The Babysitters Coven

0.0 (0)
Adventures in Babysitting meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer in...
Loki: Where Mischief Lies

0.0 (0)
This is the first of three young adult novels from...
Who Put This Song On?

0.0 (0)
Trapped in sunny, stifling, small-town suburbia, seventeen-year-old Morgan knows why...
His Hideous Heart

0.0 (0)
Thirteen of YA’s most celebrated names reimagine Edgar Allan Poe’s...
Tweet Cute

0.0 (0)
Meet Pepper, swim team captain, chronic overachiever, and all-around perfectionist....
Imperfect: A Story of Body Image

0.0 (0)
Dounya, a Muslim girl living in Las Vegas, Nevada, shares...
Throw Like a Girl

0.0 (0)
Friday Night Lights meets Morgan Matson's The Unexpected Everything in...
The Boy Next Story

0.0 (0)
There’s no one better than the boy next door. At...
Darkblood Academy

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Darkblood—oops, I mean Darkhen Academy. There are...

0.0 (0)
Veronica sees ghosts―more specifically, her mother’s ghost. The afterimages of...
Travels with Sushi in the Land of the Mind

0.0 (0)
Aaron and Stella spend every summer at their grandparents’ house,...
The C Word

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Addison: Secrets have a way of getting out. And...
Welcome to Chanu-Con!

0.0 (0)
Join Max and his sister Lila as they navigate their...
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

0.0 (0)
Princess Guinevere has come to Camelot to wed a...
Pax Novis (The Pax Archives, #1)

0.0 (0)
Cira Antares is deeply loyal to two things: Pax...

Latest Member Reviews

The Best At It

"Rahul lives in Indiana with his parents, younger brother Arun, and grandfather, whom he calls Bhai. He has a best..."
Hazel's Theory of Evolution

"Hazel lives on a farm with her two mothers and her older brother Rowan. They have a heard of goats..."
Bad Bella

"Bella lives with the McBrides, who have several small children and often forget Bella's needs. She gets in trouble for..."
Shake It Off! (Wish #8)

"Bria has made some poor choices concerning friends and social media back home in Chicago, so her parents have decided..."
Not if I Can Help It

"Willa has struggled with a sensory processing disorder her whole life, but with supportive parents and some occupational therapy, she..."
Patron Saints of Nothing

"Reading Patron Saints of Nothing invokes a lot of emotions, especially for someone who’s socially aware of the current political..."
A Monster Calls

"4.5 Stars This low-fantasy middle grade story is at once hefty and heartrending—despite its relative brevity and target audience..."
Hoax for Hire

"This was a completely fresh and engaging novel! There are very few books about cryptids out there (Savage's Lemons, Smith's..."
Dough Boys (So Done #2)

"Simp and Rollie both live in the Cove, and are doing they best they can in a rough neighborhood. They..."
Maybe This Time

"Sophie is bound and determined to make it out of her small Alabama town and attend design school in New..."
The Friendship Lie

"Cora and Kyle live in San Francisco with their father, who is an environmental scientist who studies where trash goes..."
Wish on all the Stars

"In this sequel to See You on a Starry Night, Juliet is getting used to living in San Diego and..."
Let Me Hear a Rhyme

"Tiffany D. Jackson has knocked it out of the park yet again with LET ME HEAR A RHYME. When Steph..."
Let Me Hear a Rhyme

"I'm not sure which the character I loved the most. It is one of those heartfelt stories about a group..."
The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly

"Told entirely from the first-person perspective of Minnow, beginning from the point she is arrested and placed in a juvenile..."
The Disturbed Girl's Dictionary

"What worked: This is an amazing glimpse into the life of Macy. Others say she's 'disturbed', but she's the kind..."
The Disturbed Girl's Dictionary

"The Disturbed Girl’s Dictionary is as disturbing as its name implies. While, in an effort to not trivialize or..."
Right as Rain

"Rain's family has experienced a tragedy-- her older brother was killed in a car accident. The mother thinks that the..."
Fangirl

""Fangirl" was a fun and sweet story, similar in tone to Eleanor & Park. Cath and her twin sister have..."
What If It's Us

"So… here we are. We’ve been blessed by possibly the most anticipated collaboration from two YA authors, so how could..."