Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Nobody by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Published by: EgmontUSA
On Shelves Now
Reviewed by: Middle Sis Jenn
The Sisters Say: Assassins. Romance. Conspiracy. Need I say More?

Assassins. One of my favorite topics in YA! We’ve been seeing more and more books focusing around assassins in the YA genre, and I love that each one of them is unique in their own way. In Jennifer’s book, nobodies make good assassins because they lack “energy,” which in turn, keeps them from making any lasting mark on anyone. Even further, they are almost invisible to everyone and everything around them. So, of course—perfect assassins.

This book started out with a bang when Nix and Claire see each other in a very intense situation. From there, it does slow down a bit, which was a bit depressing because that beginning was amazing. However, it didn’t slow down so much that I was bored or frustrated. I still kept flipping those pages at a quick pace because I wanted to see what was going to happen next. So, push through the parts that drag because it’s definitely worth the read.

I loved the world that Jennifer created, mainly because I love conspiracies. JFK, Bermuda Triangle, Roswell—they fascinate me, and the organization that Jennifer has created in her book is just like a giant government conspiracy. They have tons and tons of power, and they use that power to manipulate politics to help them. If something doesn’t go their way, enter Nix, seemingly invisible super-assassin. Nobody knows people like Nix and Claire exist, and that makes it all the more intriguing!

I really like Claire as a main character. I felt so sorry for her, seeing the pain and loneliness that she suffered, but she didn’t let it bring her down. On multiple occasions she would start to feel sorry for herself and then straighten up and tell herself, “No pity.” I loved her strength to persevere through that pain, and then when Nix finds her, the world seems to open up. Immediately, they are drawn to each other, and no matter how hard Nix pushes against her, she pushes right back. She takes ahold of this gift of friendship and love, and she doesn’t let it go. It was great to watch her become even stronger in the face of danger.

I really liked Nix, too, because—I mean, hello, assassin! He was one of those guys that can kill you with one punch, so power—he has tons of it (which I love). He did bug me at times because he did let himself fall to pity whereas Claire resisted it. But, those moments didn’t last long. I liked that he was willing to give his life for those that he cared about, even after the organization had brainwashed him into thinking that he would never be loved in return. I kind of wish we would have seen more kick butt and less somberness, though.

The only thing that really bugged me was the dragging pace, like I said before. The book was long, 400 pages, and I think it could have easily been in the 300-325 range had they cut out some of the slower moments. Those moments felt a bit repetitive, so I really think they could have easily been cut out.

Overall, it was a fun and interesting read and I’m looking forward to what’s next. I enjoyed the world and characters that Jennifer created. I would recommend this to actions fans, with a warning that you might have to push through some parts to get to the goods.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

0.0 (0)
Book three in a hilarious new series featuring one boy...

0.0 (0)
Everything starts with a question, like this one: Why do...

0.0 (0)
Worries, fears, and anxieties are all dragons that sneak up...
The Copycat

0.0 (0)
A funny, unpredictable, and heartfelt new novel from Wendy McLeod...
DC Super Hero Girls: Powerless

0.0 (0)
The DC Super Hero Girls learn what it's like to...

Latest Member Reviews

Rival Magic

"Antonia, wizarding apprentice to Master Betrys, may not be the best at actual magic, but she tries her absolute best..."

"You will not be able to put down this book! A fast and suspenseful read that will grip you with..."
Be Our Guest!

"BE OUR GUEST! is a colorful book of photographs. The book takes us to a hotel, where a monkey named..."
Hat Tricks

"HAT TRICKS is a story of magic. Hattie the rabbit pops out of her magic hat to perform some magic...."
Stanley's Toolbox

"STANLEY'S TOOLBOX is a delightful board book that shows many tools in action as Stanley helps to repair Little Woo's..."
Spring Is Here!

"SPRING IS HERE! is a delightful board book that features several animals in the springtime setting. The book is extra..."
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

"10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT PINKY is a cute YA romance that features a fake-turned-real relationship and opposites-attract couple. Pinky..."
The Zombie Queen

"Tamara is the daughter of the Vampire Queen and the Zombie King. She is extremely powerful and is wanted by..."
Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

"The War of 1812 isn't one that really captures the imagination of young readers like the Revolutionary or Civil War..."

"NASA and the US space program are a direct result of the increases in aeronautical technology due to World War..."
Thurgood Marshall

"Born in 1908, Thurgood Marshall experienced an array of institutionalized racial injustices in his New York and Baltimore homes, even..."
Dating Nashville

"When country music sensation Becks leaps off the stage mid performance and kisses Nicky everything he’s worked so hard to..."
Circus of the Dead (Circus of the Dead, #1)

"The story: When Callie's parents send her to help her uncle for the summer working at the Circus of..."
Down Under the Pier

"DOWN UNDER THE PIER is a beautifully illustrated poem about the magic that happens, not only above, but also below..."
Lali's Feather

"LALI'S FEATHER is a delightful and colorful picture book that explores birds and imagination. Lali is playing when she finds..."
A Friend for Mole

"A FRIEND FOR MOLE is a cute picture book that speaks to unlikely friendships and shared experiences. Mole is happy..."

"This book is a winner the moment a reader lays eyes on that cover--and the title. My niece--who is picky..."

"Super Cute Illustrations I wasn't expecting a board book when I first saw this, but as soon as I..."

"This book is absolutely adorable. Dragons can suddenly show up wherever the characters are and they have to..."
The Girl and the Ghost

"5 Reasons to Read THE GIRL AND THE GHOST 1.) Beautiful prose- This was my first time..."