Review Detail

Origin FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 4804
Not among my favourites, but pretty darn good. Jessica Khoury shows promise.
(Updated: February 27, 2013)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Origin is a story of Pia, a perfect, immortal human created through generations of hard work, discovering how to live life and how much her immortality was worth.

Immortality isn't as controversial of a subject as some others are, mainly because it's basically impossible right now. Everyone's been trying ways to make themselves look younger for a longer period of time, or lengthen their life expectancy, but to live forever is something that scientists have only found in one peculiar species of animals. Anyways, the way Jessica Khoury incorporated the setting into her idea was very smart. It's no secret that the Amazon holds countless secrets, so there could very well be the key to cheating death inn the middle of the vast jungle.

However, as much as I admire Khoury's incorporation of the Amazon, I can't help but feel that it was a bit lacking in the world-building department. I want to see, hear, smell, feel, taste the Amazon, and even Little Cam, the research lab. Khoury did do a pretty okay job in the jungle bit, but I didn't fully feel immersed in Pia's world.

Some improvement that could be made? The plot. Things fell really tidily into place, I mean like, really? A hole in the fence right on her seventeenth birthday? How very convenient. As well, lots of things moved a bit too fast, like Pia and Eio's relationship, and Pia's character development. Linger on the details, make it subtle and fleeting. Draw it out. Wreak havoc upon my emotions, please.

As for the characters, they truly weren't bad. Pia did come off as a bit rude from time to time, but I want to cut her some slack because she genuinely didn't have the sort of upbringing that'd allow her to learn the sort of interaction that we use in our world. That sort of skill was perceived as next to useless at Little Cam. Nevertheless, I found Pia's narrative quite refreshing, and new, because of the environment she grew up in. However, I felt like I didn't connect all that much with Eio, her male counterpart. Maybe it was because there was less of him in the story? Perhaps, but it could very well be a good thing, since the romance wouldn't overwhelm the story and swallow it up. NOM. One character who did stand out more than Eio, however, was Aunt Harriet (spoiler alert: she's not Pia's aunt), a.k.a. Dr. Klutz. It was Harriet who taught Pia to act like a teenager, who sneaked her out of the lab to see Eio, who's doing all this despite the danger it poses to her job. This time, I'm not cheering for a dude in the story. I am whole-heartedly Team Harriet. With a dash of sass.

To tie things up, Origin had an intriguing idea, a fantastically chosen setting, and a wonderful cast of characters. While Origin didn't blow my mind (I wanted more expansion on the sci-fi), I enjoyed reading it very much, and found it to be a stunning debut from Khoury.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites,...
Ember of Night

0.0 (0)
I am a weed. Unloved by my abusive, alcoholic...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good...
Perfectly Parvin

0.0 (0)
Fourteen-year-old Iranian-American Parvin Mohammadi sets out to win the...
Havoc (Haven, #2)

0.0 (0)
For the first time in his life, Rain Ryland...
Finding Junie Kim

0.0 (0)
Junie Kim just wants to fit in. So she keeps...
Parachutes

0.0 (0)
Speak enters the world of Gossip Girl in this modern...
The Bachmann Family Secret

0.0 (0)
Jaret Bachmann travels with his family to his beloved...
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

0.0 (0)
For fans of Morgan Matson's Save the Date comes a...
Nosotros Means Us: Un cuento bilingüe

0.0 (0)
A moving bilingual ode to the unshakeable bond between a...
Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...
A Tale of Ashes

0.0 (0)
Across the country, human teens are going missing, and all...
The Captain's Daughters

0.0 (0)
What would you do if you were abducted by aliens,...
The Hollow Inside

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Phoenix has spent much of her life drifting from...
Truth or Dare

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Summervale… One of the USA’s top vacation...

Latest Member Reviews

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1)

""My Soul to Take" is a well-written, fast-paced fantasy/romance about Kaylee, who can predict when someone is going to die...."
Soul Screamers, Vol. 1: My Soul to Lose / My Soul to Take / My Soul tSave (Soul Screamers 0.5-2)

"This collection consists of a novella and two short novels put together in a first "volume." As they are pretty..."

"Kaylee has been lied to her whole life. Her family made her out to believe she was going crazy. Even..."
The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey #2)

"This books takes place after Meghan is in the Unseelie Court. It does go through her mind and shows Ash..."
The Resurrection (The Originals #3)

"In this stunning conclusion to The Originals prequel trilogy, Rebekah, Klaus, and Elijah are pitted against each other as they..."
The Loss (The Originals #2)

"In the second installment of The Originals prequel trilogy, Klaus, Rebekah, and Elijah Mikaelson realize how quickly they can fall..."
The Rise (The Originals #1)

"As an avid watcher of the show, The Originals, I can’t get enough of this three member, somehow kind and..."
Soul Screamers, Vol. 1: My Soul to Lose / My Soul to Take / My Soul tSave (Soul Screamers 0.5-2)

"What I Liked By far the best part of the Soul Screamers series in the first two books is the..."
Saving June

"Saving June was an emotional read, with moments of gut-wrenching sorrow interlaced with lighter, playful moments, that worked together to..."
The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey #4)

"I was pleasantly surprised by the final book in the Iron Fey series. The whole book was written from..."

"I dove into this immediately after finishing My Soul to Take, but reading the blurb made me go “what?!” It..."
My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers #2)

"I dove into this immediately after finishing My Soul to Take, but reading the blurb made me go “what?!” It..."
My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers #4)

"After the ending of My Soul to Keep and the new information provided by Reaper, I wasn’t sure what to..."
The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey #2)

""We see you, Meghan Chase. You will not escape." In The Iron Daughter, the second book of the Iron..."
The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1)

"Background: Kate is about to loose her best friend, her mother, who has been sick for a long time. Since..."

"Review in 7 words: This book was confusing and a disappointment. I had quite big expectations for this book, but..."

"The first thing I have to say is that this book is a let-down. The characters are poor, the writing..."
My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers #4)

"This is Book 4. In this book, Nash's ex-girlfriend Sabine comes back and of course she can't be just a..."
Sea Glass (Opal Cowan #2)

"Maybe, if you have read my review of Storm Glass (granted, you may not have), you might have noticed that..."
Saving June

"When I first set out to read Saving June, I wasn't at the best place in my life. So I..."