Originally posted at Daydreaming Bookworm: Duet Review with Maliha
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Originally posted at : http://perrytheplatypus1102-3daydreamer3.blogspot.com/

My Review:

Rating: 5 0f 5 stars

**I received an ARC of this book from HarperCollins through Shelf Awareness in exchange for an honest review**

The thing with me and historical YA fiction is that either I really like it,or really hate it.My feelings towards that genre has no consistency.I know,I am a pretty weird person. **sigh**

ANYWAY,as you can already guess from my rating,I LOVED The Madman's Daughter.While it may be the part of a series,it can be read as a stand-alone as well,with no MAJOR cliffhangers.And yes,there may be a love triangle alert in this book,though it does not drone on and on about how the heroine does not know what to do with her feelings,making me want to whack her on the head.This problem had made me put down so many books in the past that I'm really glad for not having to face it again.The story-line was a lot more fast-paced and action packed,and by action packed I mean the "mad scientist on the loose" sort of action.I would say that this is one of those books which,without reading,your life would not be complete,like the Harry Potter or Percy Jackson series.

Right now,all you need to know is that you'll absolutely love it if you're into three things:
*Gothic England
*Eerily disgusting and creepy stuff.Example: Frankenstein.
*A story with a unique premise.

On my ARC it says that the book is inspired by THE ISLAND OF DR.MOREAU but I wouldn't know the similarity because I've never read that book before.I might actually pick it up someday to compare it with The Madman's Daughter,but just not today.And guess what,the sequel of this book is inspired by THE STRANGE CASE OF DR.JEKYLL AND MR.HYDE!Eeep!! xD **Happy Dance**

Maliha's Review:

Rating: 4 0f 5 stars

The Madman's Daughter is a breathtaking multi-theme novel. It has sweet romance on one side, reluctant friendship and a dark touch as well.

Juliet’s father was a pretty predictable character. Apart from being a madman crazy about his work, he made crazy decisions for Juliet as a father. Their reunion was sweet, though, with him being protective and all. His reaction to Edward, the first one we see that is, was hilarious.

For the love-triangle fans out there, you’ll be satisfied. Both Edward and Montgomery are all about Juliet’s safety, and who doesn’t like a protective guy?

All the mystery also kept me turning pages. The mysterious island, mysterious island dwellers were well described. And I was obsessed with Edward’s secret as it wasn’t revealed until the end.

Montgomery was sweet. He tried to convince Juliet how he had changed, how he wasn’t the doc’s servant anymore. But he made mistakes of his own and tried to correct them. Edward was, well, a typical yet different ‘Edward’. You’ll see what I mean when you read it.

Juliet was an interesting heroine. She’s brave and daring from the first page to the last. She’s smart and beautiful. Even after the shocking revelations, she remains sane and saves herself.

It may not be a real cliffhanger but definitely a heartbreaking ending, that will leave readers in enough suspense and anticipation for the sequel.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Elysium Girls

0.0 (0)
From a lush, dazzlingly original new voice in young adult...
The Lost Legends

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
A plague. A prophecy. A centuries-long curse. All her...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this...
Girls With Razor Hearts

0.0 (0)
Make me a girl with a razor heart… It’s...
Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children #5)

0.0 (0)
The fifth installment in Seanan McGuire's award-winning, bestselling Wayward...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. The upheaval in...

0.0 (0)
Ali McMillian almost drowned. It wasn’t a run-of-the-mill accident either;...
Ember Queen (Ash Princess, #3)

0.0 (0)
The thrilling conclusion to the New York Times bestselling...
Moonscript

0.0 (0)
"It is said that Darkness is empty and whatever vanishes...
The Lucky Ones

0.0 (0)
For fans of Thirteen Reasons Why, This Is How It...

0.0 (0)
A captivating and utterly original fairy tale about a girl...
Meet Me at Midnight

0.0 (0)
They have a love-hate relationship with summer. ...
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this epic sequel to Once & Future, to save...
11004295_10203571569113600_1962266189_n.jpg

3.8 (2)

0.0 (0)
*****Best YA Book & Author of the Year***** The...
We Unleash the Merciless Storm

0.0 (0)
Being a part of the resistance group La Voz...
The Everything I Have Lost

0.0 (0)
12-year-old Julia keeps a diary about her life growing...

Latest Member Reviews

When Wishes Bleed

"An imaginative story with a unique world. The Story: Sable is a witch who harbors..."
The Lost Legends

"apologize if this is a long review but I have a lot to say. Going into this book, I went..."
Perfectly Misunderstood

"'Perfectly Misunderstood' by Robin Daniels tells the story of Jayden and Mike, two high school students who seem to be..."
The Lost Legends

"I have found a new favorite! The Lost Legends by Cait Marie is the first book in her series The..."
Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

"What an adventure! Dragon Rising by M. Lynn is the first in her new series The Hidden Warrior inspired by..."
The Rage

"The plot is fast-paced with vivid characters constantly challenging the exertion of power and violence. It is an accessible, complicated,..."
Of Beast and Beauty

"When Rosalie is forced to marry Prince Xander if Baist, she didn't know what to except with her new title..."
Adeline's Aria

"Addie has always been in love with the band Infernal Echo, especially their lead singer Jude. To her surprise, she..."
Ghosts of Lock Tower

"Abby finds herself investigating when a girl is found dead on campus. She has been having strange dreams and the..."
Myth Management

"Emily goes to work at Myth Management HQ where it is her job to help control mythical creatures. When she..."
Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

"The story: Hua Minglan will sacrifice everything to avenge the death of her sister, and when war threatens her..."
Darkblood Academy

"AWESOME"
Falling For My Nemesis

"Mia and Carson have always had it out for each other. But when Carson hits Mia in the face with..."
The N Word

"'Dating the Boy Next Door' by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven is a wonderful sequel to the first book..."
My Name is Erin, and My Mom's an Addict

"Erin Whitaker's father is dead and her mother is a drug addict. When she is very young her mother..."
Spoken

"Roman has his life turned upside down when, amidst a scandal, his mom decides to leave LA. Roman must learn..."
Fire (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #2)

N/A
"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Spark (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #1)

"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Ashes (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #3)

Wolf Girl: Finding Myself in the Wild

"This is a beautiful book—both in how it is designed and how it is written. The prose is lyrical, yet..."