Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4308
Aliens, future world, corrupt government and a sweet romance.
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Gravity is a science fiction novel that is about Ari Alexander, seventeen-year-old fighting prodigy, next in line to be the supreme commander of a future America. The world is supposedly living in harmony with a race of aliens called the Ancients, who had saved them from disaster a few years back, in exchange for antibodies that will allow them to live on Earth alongside humanity. When Ari loses her patch that allows her to transfer her antibodies to her Ancient, she sees what she has been forced not to, a real life Ancient; the most popular boy in her school, Jackson Locke. Ari is launched into a war between those who saved the world, or her own species.

Gravity has a good storyline, with the idea of aliens saving a futuristic Earth, and humanity trying to destroy their saviours, all because of the classic corrupt government. It was smart to have Ari as the daughter of one of the main people that aim to destroy the Ancients. It brought a quality in Ari, one that lets her defy what she knows to save the world, and the ones beyond that. I love the future world that Melissa West has created, but she did leave out details with explaining the world. She expected us to know things that don't even exist in the present day, and sometimes it got confusing when random words was used, and these words seemed to be important. I think that the author should of added and extra sentence or two just to help us along.

I really wanted to like Ari, but I just couldn't, partly because I hardly knew her. The story sorta didn't let us to get to know her, she was restricted from us. She was described as a girl who was really smart and strong. But a lot of time she was clueless, powerless and followed Jackson blindly. She didn't seem like the right sort of heroine for this book (I'm not saying that she wouldn't be good for another type of book). She needed to smart and alert, especially since there was a bit of politics involved in the book. She was just to clueless and needed a different type of strength to the one in her arms.

There was a couple of strange characters, ones that switched personalities and motives right near the end, like Ari's father and Lawrence. Ari's father went from being strict and killing people and Ancients left and right, to sad, depressed and feeling sorry for himself. Lawrence went from the president's son and following all the rules, to be the half brother of an Ancient, and being buddy-buddy with him. It was really strange, and slightly off putting, since normal people don't change that quickly.

Gravity is your pretty average science fiction novel, with average characters, plot and writing style. I was pretty angry to find out the Australian president line was finished since there was no heir, why did you just elect one, or use a cousin, stupid book characters. Gravity has aliens, a future world, a corrupt government and a sweet romance, your basic essentials for a science fiction novel.
Good Points
-Good storyline
-A nice romance, nothing to simple, but not to complicated (except with the problem of Jackson being a alien)
-Nice future world
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Sweet treats and friendship mix-ups abound in this story about...

0.0 (0)
From award-winning Carolyn Mackler, the story of Willa, who has...

0.0 (0)
This book is about the Stonewall Riots, a series of...

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Emily is flying with her parents to China to...
A Small Zombie Problem (Zombie Problems, #1)

0.0 (0)
In his fiction debut--and the start of a new series--celebrated...
My Funny Bunny

0.0 (0)
When a boy receives a gift box from his uncle...
Kindness Rules! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
Manners don’t come naturally to everyone! But did you know...
Teeny Tiny Ghost

0.0 (0)
An adorable spooky twist on "The Teeny Tiny Woman" that's...
A Pumpkin for Peter: A Peter Rabbit Tale

0.0 (0)
Hop into the world of Peter Rabbit and his friends...
Solving for M

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Raymie Nightingale and The Fourteenth Goldfish,...
A Parade of Elephants

0.0 (0)
New York Times–bestselling and Caldecott Medalist Kevin Henkes follows five...
My Fate According To The Butterfly

0.0 (0)
When superstitious Sab sees a giant black butterfly, an omen...
The Rough Patch

0.0 (0)
A Caldecott Honor Book An...
Sunny's Tow Truck Saves the Day!

0.0 (0)
When a family car gets a flat on the way...
How to Be a Cat

0.0 (0)
In cut-paper artist Nikki McClure’s latest picture book, a kitten...
TBH, IDK What's Next (TBH, #4)

0.0 (0)
Three BFFs set out to have the BEST SUMMER EVER...

Latest Member Reviews

Coral

"CORAL is not a fairytale retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID- while it may have been inspired by some of the..."
The Voice in my Head

"THE VOICE IN MY HEAD begins with Indigo standing on a building, praying to God for her sister to live..."
Cicada

"CICADA tells the story of working in a corporate job. Cicada is a good employee who works hard and doesn’t..."
Eventown

"Elodee's family is struggling for reasons that aren't clear, and she and her twin sister Naomi are not getting along...."
Dear Evan Hansen: The Novel

""Dear Evan Hansen" is a sad but sweet YA contemporary that addresses anxiety and the power of a small lie...."
Days of the Dead

"Glorieta Magdelena Davis Espinosa is proud of her family. When her father remarries after her mother's death, he puts away..."
The History of Jane Doe

"I want to love “The History of Jane” because I felt the sincerity of the author to say something about..."
Friends for Life

"Francis is hanging out alone during lunchtime at school--as he does--when a girl who is not appropriately dressed for the..."
The Gatekeepers

"North Shore seems like the most sophisticated and put-together town there is, but it hides a deadly secret from those..."
Project Semicolon: Your Story Isn't Over

""Stay Strong. Love endlessly. Change lives." --Amy Bleuel This suicide and mental illness awareness collection is made..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Definitely the reason why I decided to reread this was because of the show. and now that I finished reading..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Thirteen Reasons Why (stylised as Th1rteen R3eason Why) follows shy high school teenager Clay Jensen. Clay has received a..."
Beautiful Broken Girls

"* Reviewed for North of Normal Book Reviews BEAUTIFUL BROKEN GIRLS by Kim Savage is a dark YA stand-alone..."
All the Bright Places

"I love this book. I’ve been on the look out for this book since I saw it on Netgalley but..."
All the Bright Places

"This book hooked me from the first page. From the happier moments to the terribly sad moments, I couldn't stop..."
I Was Here

"Think of a darker THIRTEEN REASONS WHY. In this case Cody blames herself for the suicide of her BFF. After..."
All the Bright Places

"Quite the polarizing read. (No pun intended.) Full disclosure: As someone who spent a scary number of their..."
The Memory of Light

"Depression is a subject some people still feel uncomfortable discussing but I feel very strongly that it needs to be..."
My Heart and Other Black Holes

"This book has been on my TBR for ages and ages – ever since it was released it has been..."
All the Bright Places

"Loved this story. Writing in duel point of views, Jennifer Niven tells the story from a boy who struggles with..."