The Darkest Minds FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 30479
Excellence
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This one is going to be huge.

I lose my mind for anything that includes a training montage or teenagers discovering their special powers. It’s the reason I have seen The Craft, The Karate Kid, and the X-Men movies a ridiculous number of times. It’s also the reason I was in heaven reading The Darkest Minds.

A virus has wiped out almost an entire generation of kids, but those who survived have exceptional abilities which frighten the adults around them. Herded into “rehabilitation camps”, they are labeled by color. Reds are able to create fire, Oranges can control minds, Yellows can manipulate electricity, Greens are brilliant, and Blues are telekinetic. Before you join me in spending hours debating which ability you’d prefer, know that life is not rosy for the kids. If they manage to escape the camps, like our heroine Ruby, they may spend the rest of their lives being hunted by a variety of different agencies, all for nefarious purposes.

This is a premise I love, but even better are the characters. Ruby is well-developed and likable. She is haunted by so much–her powers, her past, and her fears for the future. Author Alexandra Bracken realistically describes the way she pushes through everything that scares her and becomes a brave protector of her friends. And what friends she has! It would be unfair to reduce them to Liam, the leader, Chubs, the brain, and Zu, the silent child. They are characters that the readers want to prevail, even when it seems like the entire world is against them.

The Darkest Minds is the first in a series, but the novel ends in a way that it could be a standalone title, albeit a sad one. The film rights have already been purchased, and I will be the first in line for the movie or the sequel, whichever comes first.
Good Points
The characters, the premise, everything!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 4 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
It's Avery's senior year in high school, and she has...
Peppermint Post

0.0 (0)
'Twas the night before Christmas, when the North Pole's Peppermint...
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lauren Magaziner’s hilarious and high-stakes middle grade series gets a...

0.0 (0)
What's outside Pleasant Grove? Welcome to Pleasant...
The Wizenard Series: Season One

0.0 (0)
Reggie has never felt destined for greatness. He dreams about...

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

0.0 (0)
The Fast and the Furious meets Transformers in the second...
Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

0.0 (0)
Kings become outcasts and lovers become foes in The Faithless...
Zora's Zucchini

0.0 (0)
The first zucchini of a summer garden is always exciting,...
Libby Loves Science

0.0 (0)
Libby loves science! In this STEM-themed picture book, a companion...
The Hidden Rainbow

0.0 (0)
All the colors of the rainbow are hidden in the...

Latest Member Reviews

Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation (Charlie Thorne #1)

"Charlie is a twelve year old intellectual prodigy who has uncaring, manipulative parents whom she has escaped by enrolling in..."
The Impossible Crime (Mac B., Kid Spy #2)

"Mac is calmly playing mini golf when the queen of England phones him yet again for help. She is afraid..."
The Mac Undercover (Mac B., Kid Spy #1)

"In this notebook novel, author Barnett explains to his readers what he did before he became a children's author. Because..."
Bodyguard: Traitor (Book 8)

"After attacks in Pittsburgh and Columbus, Ohio, the security team is on high alert. Every venue is potentially fatal; every..."
Bodyguard: Target (Book 7)

"This is a prequel to the series that follows the career of Charley Hunter, who oversees Connor's unit in Recruit..."
Mabel Opal Pear and the Rules For Spying

"MABEL OPAL PEAR AND THE RULES FOR SPYING follows Mabel a young girl whose parents are super secret spies called..."
Bridget Wilder #3: Live Free, Spy Hard (Bridget Wilder Series)

"Bridget irrepressibly goes from catastrophe to catastrophe, utilizing nanomarbles, deep fried Mars bars and Cheerminators to further her goals. Since..."
Bodyguard: Recruit (Book 1)

"Connor Reeves has just won a major kick boxing tournament and is on his way home when he tries to..."
Ryan Quinn and the Rebel's Escape

"Ryan's family has moved around all over the world, so he's glad to be settled in New York City, even..."
Mayhem (Lawless #3)

"M is settling into her new school well, and has several good friends. Her parents make her flaxseed waffles and..."
Bridget Wilder #2: Spy to the Rescue

"After the events of Bridget Wilder: Spy in Training, we find Bridget back at home, dealing with her brother and..."
I Survived the Hindenburg Disaster, 1937 (I Survived #13)

" Hugo and his family have booked passage on the Hindenburg because his younger sister, Gertie, needs to get back..."
Bridget Wilder: Spy-in-Training (Bridget Wilder Series)

"Bridget isn't expecting a whole lot for her birthday from her busy adoptive parents, but she thought she might get..."
The Worst Class Trip Ever

"Wyatt and his friend Matt sometimes get into trouble, but not the kind of trouble they manage to find when..."
Lawless

"M has an interview for the Lawless school, which she might as well attend, since her father has passed away..."
Born to Spy

"Reader reviewed by KT Webb I bought this book for my twelve year old grandson. He loved it, so I..."
Born to Spy

"Reader reviewed by ILOVEBOOKS My 9-year-old is a fussy reader who doesn't like most books I buy. I took a..."
Born to Spy

"Reader reviewed by Donna Johnson I was looking for the perfect Christmas present for my children's kindle-and I found it!..."