Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 6505
Definitely a must-read
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

If you are a person who is a fan of automatons, completely crazy madmen, Victorians, and handsome nobles vs. ruggedly handsome villain, then you have GOT to read the Girl in the Steel Corset.

Finley Jane is a commoner. I wouldn't say she's normal though. She has a "split personality". Normally she is timid, kind and peaceful. And sometimes, she is not. She will change completely when threatened, revealing a darker, rage-filled nature and weird abilities like super-strength and hearing and things like that. Some people might even call her a "monster".

Her job at the start of the book is being a maid to a family of nobles with a not-nice son. After she is assaulted by him, she changes into her darker personality and flings him across the room with enough force to crack the plaster, after which she promptly runs out of the house and gets hit by a duke, Griffin King, on a motorcycle. Being the perfect gentleman and having a "feeling" about her, he takes her home. There, Finley meets Emily, the resident genius, Sam, a huge man with super-strength and a troubled mind, and Jasper, an American guy who can move very fast. VERY fast.

While living in Griffin's house, Finley starts to realise that none of them are normal, and that is okay. She starts to accept who she is, and what she is capable of. And mix that all up with another love interest, a dashing villain, andyou've got the perfect mixture.

I loved Finley as a heroine. Instead of being set on the good side, she sometimes has a taste herself of what it is like to be violent and pretty much evil. And then when she finally gets a grip, she doesn't lose track of who she was at the start of the book, either.

The pacing of this book was great too. It didn't reveal everything too quickly, or go so fast that I couldn't follow, but neither was it so slow that I was thinking about other things. Plus all the different points of view were in strategic spots, not in random places just so that it made the writing easier for the author. We got to be in everyone's minds and get a good view of how they feel and see the world.

One thing that bothered me a bit was that it just didn't seem all that plausible that there could be so many modern kinds of things in the 1800's. Emily was a teenage genius, but the number of things she invented and how similar it was to today's things just didn't seem very plausible.

I definitely recommend this novel to anyone who is a fan of steampunk (even if you're not, still give this book a try, you might be surprised!). It is awesome!!

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account