Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2765
Hobbitsies Reviews: Meg Cabot is brilliant as usual
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I am a HUGE Meg Cabot fan. I will read anything she writes, really. So whenever she comes out with a new book, ESPECIALLY a new series, I do several jumps for joy. And then hope it doesn’t let me down because I built it up so much in my head.

Abandon? Totally did not let me down. Seriously, Meg Cabot knows how to write awesome paranormal-ishhhh series. I mean, I wouldn’t say that I love it more than the Mediator series (at least not yet), but taking Greek Mythology and twisting it and modernizing it and setting it on an island off of Florida? Pretty genius.

The characters in Abandon, in my opinion, were very likable. I loved Pierce, and I thought her reaction to…everything, really, was very believable. I think some of the problems that arise in a situation like this (creepy guy wants you to be his wife & live in his kingdom) is that the character accepts/believes it too easily, but I think Pierce’s reactions matched my own very well. John was quite swoon-worthy and complex and rather interesting, and I’m definitely looking forward to more swoony moments in the second book.

I thought the writing style was much different from previous books from Meg Cabot. All of her books, that I can recall, are told in a linear style. Each event as it happens, with maybe a few flashbacks or anecdotes thrown in. But in Abandon, the narrative definitely leaped around and sometimes I had to go back and reread to figure out where I was in the story. This didn’t really detract from the experience, though. I actually liked the jumping around-ness.

Overall, I thought Abandon was amazing. It’s a great set up for the trilogy – part back story and part new story, and I thought it worked really well combined. I’m looking forward to picking up the next book in the trilogy, and, of course, anything else Meg Cabot ever writes.

Review originally posted on my blog http://hobbitsies.net/2011/04/abandon-by-meg-cabot/
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

What Adults Don’t Know About Architecture: Inspiring young minds to build a more beautiful world

0.0 (0)
Children are rarely introduced properly to architecture, but there are...
The Curse of the Crystal Cavern (The Pathfinders Society #2)

0.0 (0)
Fresh from their hair-raising adventures in The Mystery of the...
The Mystery of the Moon Tower (The Pathfinders Society)

0.0 (0)
Kyle is a new kid in town who likes to...
Fresh

0.0 (0)
A hilarious and vulnerable coming-of-age story about the thrilling...
Sting Magic

0.0 (0)
She has the wrong kind of magic but the...
Poison Ivy: Thorns

0.0 (0)
There's something unusual about Pamela Isley--the girl who hides...
The Dead and the Dark

0.0 (0)
Courtney Gould’s thrilling YA debut The Dead and the...
The Great Destroyers

0.0 (0)
Blood, sweat, and death. Welcome to the Pax Games....
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this thrilling adventure, our magical heroine embarks on...
Lies My Memory Told Me

0.0 (0)
From the thrilling voice of Sacha Wunsch comes a heart-stopping...
Signs of Survival A Memoir of the Holocaust

0.0 (0)
RENEE: I was ten years old then, and my sister...
So. Many. Feelings Stickers: 2,700 Stickers for Every Mood

0.0 (0)
2,700 stickers for every mood! ...
Hi-Five Farm!

0.0 (0)
Ready, set, off we go! ...
Sugar and Spite

0.0 (0)
Jolina can't take Claudine's bullying any longer! The taunts and...
Leaving England

0.0 (0)
Sometime around now an unnamed virus has laid London and...
Top Choice

0.0 (0)
A female-run society. An ambitious girl driven to become its’...

Latest Member Reviews

Poison Ivy: Thorns

"Let me start with the artwork. This was so beautifully done and I loved every single panel. It really pulled..."
Lies My Memory Told Me

"What I Loved: In Lies my Memory Told Me, Nova is the daughter of the people who created Enhanced Memory...."
The Dead and the Dark

"THE DEAD AND THE DARK is a deliciously creepy paranormal thriller/horror. Logan lives with her two fathers, who co-host a..."
The Great Destroyers

"THE GREAT DESTROYERS is an intriguing alternate history that brings robot fighting into the Cold War. Jo is a teenager..."
Fresh

"FRESH is an entertaining and thought-provoking coming-of-age story. Elliott is a middle child, heading to college far from home at..."
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

"ILLUSIONARY is a beautifully written sequel in a strong YA fantasy duology. The book begins after the first ended, with..."
Bluebird

"It's 1946 and Eva and her friend Brigit leave behind destroyed Berlin for New York City. Eva carries a deadly..."
Incendiary (Hollow Crown #1)

"INCENDIARY is an intriguing YA fantasy with rebellion, magic, and intrigue. Renata was stolen from her parents as a child..."
Love and Other Sins

"Read it in one sitting and can’t wait to read the next one!!"

"This was definitely an interesting book. I really enjoyed all of the witchy aspects of the book! It starts off..."
Small Favors

"SMALL FAVORS is a compelling, spooky, and atmospheric YA fantasy/horror that keeps the reader guessing. Ellerie is a young woman..."
Sidelined

"Julian is looking forward to his senior year in Meridien, Texas. He wants to play football and hopefully get scouted..."