Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2460
I'm almost sure there's a bouncy ball of DOOM in this book
(Updated: December 17, 2012)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

In this book, we learn that the FBI is bad and likes working with evil aliens, the Mogadorians are flippin' everywhere all the time, and Cepans are not the sturdiest of guardians. Seriously...Cepans need more battle training. And maybe invincibility.

There is a lot going on in this book, so much so that the story gets a little lost in all of the action and mentions of alien objects. Oh, and very few of the objects have names, so you sort of just have to keep up with what the red bracelet, the nubby yellow ball, the stick, the glasses and various other random items do. And I agree with the kids, it would be much simpler if the Chests were backpacks instead of wooden boxes...I guess the only things on hand when Lorien was being destroyed was bulky wooden boxes!

The Bad Bad Mog is on Earth now, and it seems like he’s even more powerful than all of the Guarde put together. However, they think they have a chance at beating him in the future, after they learn about their legacies, which is rather optimistic of them since this guy and all his buddies wiped out a WHOLE PLANET that had its own super-powered population. But these kids are just going to be so amazing one day that this will be plausible. Got it…

There are too many POVs in this book, and I don’t like how the writer switches font types to signify that a new voice has taken over. It’s aggravating, and I would rather that the same font was kept and the POV was signified by writing the character’s name in front of each chapter.

I like Nine. He was sort of bonkers, volatile and unstable, but there is something intriguing about him and his craziness. Eight is also nice addition to the team, what with his jovial, playful personality and his incredibly useful powers. Marina’s crush on him is random but cute.

This book was decent but scattered; I just wasn’t really caught up in the story or the characters. I’ll probably read the next book in this series out of curiosity.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...
White Smoke

0.0 (0)
The Haunting of Hill House meets Get Out in this...
All Kinds of Other

0.0 (0)
In this tender, nuanced coming-of-age love story, two boys—one...

0.0 (0)
Antipodes is a unique work of fiction, set in present-day...

Latest Member Reviews

Pumpkinheads

"I am pretty new to graphic novels so when I won a copy of 'Pumpkin Heads' on GoodReads I was..."
Fangirl

""Fangirl" was a fun and sweet story, similar in tone to Eleanor & Park. Cath and her twin sister have..."
Eleanor & Park

""Eleanor & Park" was an unexpected touching read for me. Eleanor is a chubby red-head and Park is a half-Asian..."
My True Love Gave To Me

"I admit that I’m not a big anthology fan. I find the stories in them are hit and miss. ‘My..."
Fangirl

"This book was touchingly beautiful. Cath was a perfect protagonist and I connected with her quite intimately. Despite the heartbreak,..."
Carry On

"Rainbow Rowell’s standalone/sequel to Fangirl is one of the best books of 2016. I bought the novel not too long..."
Fangirl

"I almost gave up on this book. Several chapters in I was not identifying with the main character. She was..."
Eleanor & Park

"There is nothing I don't like about this book. It made me cry. Lines from it haunted me for days...."
Carry On

"While it is still a good book, I feel like this book wouldn't appeal to people who haven't read Fangirl...."
Eleanor & Park

"I'm a little torn back and forth on this book. While there are things that I loved about it, there..."
Fangirl

"I don't even know how it took me so long to read this book or rather to think about reading..."
Carry On

""You called me Simon before." "No, I didn't." I hate it when I dislike popular books. People enjoy them..."
My True Love Gave To Me

"Christmas has to be one of my all-time favorite holidays. I also love short story anthologies. Put the..."
Carry On

"Simon Snow just wants to relax and savor his last year at the Watford School of Magicks, but no one..."
Eleanor & Park

"I was bracing myself for all the fluffiness, the cheesy exchanges of the words I love you, and possibly a..."
Fangirl

"Visit my blog: http://theroundtheclockperuser.blogspot.com"
Fangirl

BoBo
"Do you love cute lovestories, geeks, fangirling, fanfiction and a bit of fantasy? If so, this book might be a..."
Fangirl

"Cath and her twin sister Wren are embarking on their first year of college. While Wren is taking the..."
Fangirl

"Character-driven from the start, Fangirl is a niche coming-of-age contemporary story centered around the Freshman year of college for a..."
Eleanor & Park

"Considering my own personal Midwestern experience with riding on a bus full of belligerent kids from the undesirable part of..."