Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 3382
YA Sci-Fi Gem
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I think this book is a gem in the world of YA sci-fi. Mainly because there isn't really too much out there--particularly with aliens involved--and because it's actually a really good book with great pacing, awesome characters and a marvelous storyline. It didn't take me long to get attached to this story and start anticipating a nice ending (or at least a sequel, which I'm still hopeful for).

Holt, Mira, Zoey and Max are the main characters. Three human (maybe--Zoey is under contention because reasons) and a dog. A dog. One of those loyal, intelligent, slobbering creatures who I can't ever remember playing a major role in any YA I've read. But in Midnight City, Max is as important to Holt and the other characters as an human, with a distinct personality that's all his own. I loved him and everyone else in this book.

Another aspect I loved were the Strange Lands artifacts. There was something scientific in the way they could be constructed to become different tool, something reminiscent of Chemistry and Physics that appealed to the science nerd that is me. And the author remembered that it took time to make these things, they couldn't be ready for use instantly, which added extra sense to the wonderful action scenes.

Any problems I had were small ones. The plot was slightly predictable sometimes--I could pick up a general idea of what was going to happen, but the details could still shock me. There were times when it felt like a particular phrase or adjective was used too many times in a matter of pages, which can get on my nerves but is also something I know I am guilty of in my own writing. And I need to know more about the aliens. Please. They're really interesting and I want to know their motives and how they work and everything!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

0.0 (0)
Book three in a hilarious new series featuring one boy...

0.0 (0)
Everything starts with a question, like this one: Why do...

0.0 (0)
Worries, fears, and anxieties are all dragons that sneak up...
The Copycat

0.0 (0)
A funny, unpredictable, and heartfelt new novel from Wendy McLeod...
DC Super Hero Girls: Powerless

0.0 (0)
The DC Super Hero Girls learn what it's like to...

Latest Member Reviews

The Atomic Weight of Secrets, or The Arrival of the Mysterious Men in Black (The Young Inventors Guild #1)

"This book reminded me from the first pages of the Mysterious Benedict Society books by Trenton Lee Stewart (which incidentally..."
The Atomic Weight of Secrets, or The Arrival of the Mysterious Men in Black (The Young Inventors Guild #1)

"In The Atomic Weight of Secrets, or The Arrival of the Mysterious Men in Black by Eden Unger Bowditch, a..."