Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2494
Better than I expected
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I thought Fallen would be a shoot-and-miss for me. It wasn't that exactly, but it could have been better.

Luce is sent to the Sword & Cross boarding school after she's seeing shadows everywhere and she's the suspect of a dead guy in a burnt-down house. It's your worst-nightmare boarding school, the kind where cell phones are banned, all the other children are psychos, and there are surveillance cameras watching your every move.

She sees Daniel Grigori right from the first day, and get's that weird feeling like she definitely, positively has known this guy before. Daniel obviously doesn't want anything to do with her, but of course she's GOT to find out the truth behind him.

It's good that she wasn't obsessing over Daniel so much that she didn't have time for her friends, or to check out the other cute guy in the school.

In the end, Daniel was WAY too much like "Oh my gosh, you are precious flower, go into the church where you will be safe, and leave the fighting to the big strong angels." (okay, so he didn't say those exact words, but you get the gist). And Luce went along with it! It was just one of those books where the girl was way too soft, always leaving her own fights to someone else. And she and Daniel were a bit too obsessed with each other at the end. Kind of like "I-I can't live without you, Luce. I love you." (and he DID actually say that in the book). Creepy lover alert.

And the whole stalking thing Luce did with Daniel. I mean sure he looked good, but what happened to not judging a book by its cover? He was rude, cold and distant. Until, of course, Luce broke through.

And then there was Daniel and Cam. They were a bit like sparring bulls, fighting over the female. And I didn't even GET why Cam wanted her.

*Spoiler alert* I don't think that pretty much the whole reform school should have been angels. I mean, seriously TWO mortal kids in the whole school and the angels didn't even notice.

It was a good book all in all, even though it was a bit predictable and I didn't like the obsessive love.
Good Points
- Liked the prologue
- Mystery, even though the whole story was basically evident from the first couple of pages
- Liked Luce's friends
- Liked how she was at a reform school
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Phoebe Unfired

0.0 (0)
CONNECTING IS TOUGH WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN TOUCH ...
Thirty Talks Weird Love

0.0 (0)
A 13-year-old girl growing up in Mexico is visited by...
Admission

0.0 (0)
Lie. Cheat. Bribe. How far would you go to get...
Running

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Cuban American Mariana Ruiz’s father runs for president,...
City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

0.0 (0)
City of Spells, the follow-up to Alexandra Christo's gritty YA...
Christmas Parade

0.0 (0)
A delightful Christmas board book filled with hilarious characters and...
Best Friend in the Whole World

0.0 (0)
Roland lives a quiet life filled with books, music, and...
Bird Show

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Susan Stockdale welcomes you to the Bird Show,...
Down Comes the Night

0.0 (0)
He saw the darkness in her magic. She saw...
My Book of Feelings (My World)

0.0 (0)
Inspired by the Montessori method of education this unique board...
Sweet & Bitter Magic

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut fantasy perfect for fans of Sorcery...
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

3.8 (2)

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author Alyssa Sheinmel comes...
Dark Stars

0.0 (0)
Dorothy finds herself completely alone. Roman is dead. The...
Follow Your Arrow

0.0 (0)
For fans of Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, this...
Daughter of Darkness

0.0 (0)
She is destined to kill a demon. He is...

Latest Member Reviews

Christmas Parade

"CHRISTMAS PARADE is another cute and brightly colored board book from Boynton. In this book, children see a Christmas parade,..."
Best Friend in the Whole World

"BEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WORLD is a sweet picture book about friends and doing the right thing. Roland lives..."
The Threads of Magic

"Pip picks pockets to get food for himself and his sister, El. When he picks something unexpected, a mysterious box..."
The Smile Shop

"THE SMILE SHOP is a cute story about a young boy who is shopping for something special. He has a..."
Stanley's Lunch Box

"STANLEY'S LUNCH BOX is a cute board book that combines a favorite character with a shopping trip to the market...."
What Are Unicorns Made Of?

"WHAT ARE UNICORNS MADE OF? is a brightly colored board book that questions what makes a unicorn. The rhyming text..."
Grandfather Bowhead, Tell Me a Story

"GRANDFATHER BOWHEAD, TELL ME A STORY features a grandfather and grandson whale who are sharing stories. The grandchild asks for..."
Stanley's Toy Box

"Stanley heads to the park with Little Woo and Betty in this cute board book. STANLEY'S TOY BOX depicts a..."
Peek-a-Boo Little Reindeer

"PEEK-A-BOO LITTLE REINDEER is a simple and cute board book with felt flaps to lift on each page. Little Reindeer..."
The Last Fallen Star

"Riley Oh is thrilled for her sister, Hattie, to finally be formally initiated into the Gom clan on her 13th..."
Rescue

"What worked: Engaging historical set during WWII. What interested me the most of this novel is how codes were used..."
Paris Cat

"PARIS CAT is an imaginative picture book about a cat that lives in an alleyway of Paris but dreams of..."
The Last Hazelnut

"THE LAST HAZELNUT is a sweet picture book about friendship, forgiveness, and sharing. Tim and Teo are best friends, and..."
The Night Walk

"THE NIGHT WALK takes the reader on a walk at night through the village and into the wilderness. Parents wake..."
My Very Merry Ugly Christmas Sweater

"MY VERY MERRY UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATER is a fun touch-and-feel book that captures all the fun of Christmas attire. The..."
You and Me

"YOU AND ME is a sweet book about love between caregiver and child. The lyrical poetry of the rhyming text,..."
Baby's First Farm

"BABY'S FIRST FARM takes readers on a delightful lift-the-flap journey around the farm. The board book is a simple story..."
Can I Come Too?

"CAN I COME TOO? tells the story of a small mouse who decides to go on a big adventure to..."
Karma Moon: Ghost Hunter

"Karma Moon loves living with her dad in their New York neighborhood, answering phone calls for his Totally Rad documentary..."
Beetle and the Hollowbones

"Beetle is a goblin-witch who isn't loving the small magic her grandmother teaches her. She'd rather hang out with Blob..."