Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2738
Enjoyed it!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I have been sort of obsessed with books that reinvent the Hades/Persephone myth lately, so naturally, Abandon was on my list of books to read. After reading it, I'm sort of stuck on how I feel about it. I love the storyline that Meg Cabot puts forth and I think it had tremendous potentional, but for me, the actual book fell short. It was slow and at times awkwardly written. That being said, I did still enjoy it and plan to read Underworld very soon.

Perhaps the reason I have blah feelings toward it is the main character, Pierce. She just seems unbelievably nieve to me--I mean....how can you end up at a River with boats ferrying people to different places while a man dressed all in black uses his thunderous voice to control the rioting and then NOT put two and two together that...Oh, maybe I'm in the Underworld. And throughout the entire novel things that should have been so obvious (had she had any education at all)just went completely over her head. I got really frustrated at how little she understood. Her attitude towards John (resident Hottie God of the Underworld)really irked me, too, after he repeatedly shows up to help her.

Okay...so what did I like? Obviously the guy--John. Meg captured his brokeness brilliantly. He's tortured by his job and his feelings for Pierce, and that shows in his actions and personality. I really felt for him the moment he was first introduced. However, he is hardly in the book at all until the end--which, in my opinion, was a huge mistake. I wished there were more circumstances where he would have shown up so we could get to know him a little better.

Overall, not the best Persephone/Hades reinvention out there, but I still somewhat enjoyed it. I'm hoping that the second book will move a little faster, that Pierce will get over herself, and that we will see more John!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

0.0 (0)
As their communities were being destroyed, groups of Jewish women...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger to...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Outer Space

0.0 (0)
Blast off into outer space with this mess-free sticker craft!...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates are...
The Mother of Monsters

0.0 (0)
Mischievous Ntombi is not at all afraid of the fearsome...
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

0.0 (0)
Brave young Pedro faces monsters and greedy guards when he...
What Beauty There Is

0.0 (0)
What Beauty There Is is Cory Anderson's stunning YA...
Baseball Baby

0.0 (0)
This original board book series, which begins with America's favorite...
I Am Not a Penguin

0.0 (0)
This hilarious story of a pangolin with an identity crisis...
Poison Priestess (Lady Slayers, #2)

0.0 (0)
In 17th-century Paris, 19-year-old Catherine Monvoisin is a well-heeled...
Sam Can't Sleep

0.0 (0)
When Sam can’t sleep, he decides to ask all the...
The Prison Healer (The Prison Healer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Kiva Meridan has spent the last ten years...
Fate Calling

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
A cursed fae prince. A lonely human lass. A...
Welcome to California

0.0 (0)
Welcome to California! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
Zoe Rosenthal is Not Lawful Good

0.0 (0)
A buttoned-up overachiever works overtime to keep her inner...
The Other Side of Perfect

0.0 (0)
For fans of Sarah Dessen and Mary H.K. Choi, this...

Latest Member Reviews

Japan (Panorama Pops)

"A pocket-sized pop-up book designed to capture the imagination of readers of all ages, JAPAN is one in a series..."
Space Exploration (Panorama Pops)

"A pocket-sized pop-up book designed to capture a young reader's imagination, Space Exploration is one in a series of "Panorama..."
The Story of Flight (Panorama Pops)

"A pocket-sized pop-up books designed to capture a young reader's imagination, The Story of Flight is one in a series..."
Super Supper Throwdown (Fizzy's Lunch Lab)

"In this hybrid story/cookbook, we find the characters from the PBS show involved in a competition. Fizzy is sure that..."
Ocean Creatures: A 3D Pocket Guide

"The timing of this little guide coming into my hands was just perfect. My oldest has been interested in the..."
Dinosaurs: A 3D Pocket Guide

"Highly recommended for children who love learning about dinosaurs. This pop-up pocket guide includes colorful illustrations, definitions of dinosaur-tastic terms,..."
Creepy-Crawlies: A 3D Pocket Guide

"This pop-up reference book all about insects would be great for the insect fan in your life. I'm not so..."