Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini
ARC Received from Harper Teen through Edelweiss
Release Date: 5-29-2012
Reviewed by: Middle Sis Jenn
The Sisters Say: Dazzling, Daring, and Dangerous
Two days ago I read Starcrossed and could not put it down! It was the book equivalent to the where-have-you-been-all-my-life? guy. After finishing it, I went straight to my ARC of Dreamless (thank you HarperTeen and Edelweiss) and stayed up most of the night reading.

Some people have a way with words---and Josephine Angelini is one of those people. I just got swept away in her descriptions! I felt like I woke up one morning and found myself in her world--looking around to see Lucas, Helen, Hector, Cassandra and the whole gang. I just love when a book can transport you to another place and time--the only true magical powers anyone can have! (I think)

I absolutely adore Angelini's characters. They are so vibrant and full of life--even the characters that are not in complete focus, like Hector. I just love Hector--strong and mighty, yet completely and utterly devoted to his family. Angelini gives him so much depth even though he's not one of the main two, Lucas and Helen, and I appreciate that she spends so much time building her characters so that every dimension of her book comes to life. She gives each of her characters such grand gestures and personality that you just can’t help but feel your way through the book with them. And it’s not just the good guys that she creates so well…I mean, I quite literally HATE Daphne…but Josephine intended for us to dislike her. The writing brings Daphne to life, and you truly have an emotional response. If only I could pull a pensieve-like move and instead of jumping into memories, jump into a book! I’d give Daphne a taste of my fist….and Lucas...hehe, a taste of my lips? Is that inappropriate? I’m gonna go with no.

The Greek mythology is so....there are no words. The way she depicts the Furies is cataclysmic, and it's so new and original. I can literally see them slinking across the ground in craziness begging for murder so that for one tiny second, they can feel at peace--if that is even possible. I've always pictured the Furies as these evil hellbeasts, and I admit, I much prefer Angelini's tortured Furies over the ones I have always known. Her imagery of the Furies melts into the page, and I have never felt more lost in tragedy, hatred, and misery. It’s amazing.

And then....drumroll please!

Lucas! I admit, I read books for the guys--the ones that sweep you off your feet over and over again, and Lucas, being the flyer he is, can quite literally sweep you off them! If only I could stay in the air with him and never come down! He is the perfect young adult guy, and I have to say, whenever I see my ideal ya guy in a novel, I find myself never being able to put it down. He rivals Daemon, Aiden, Four, and Jace for me! He's overprotective (which I love…throwing punches is so hot—don’t judge me), strong and chiseled (oh la la), arrogant and tempermental (sigh), and completley broken and struggling (if only I could save him)! My heart literally aches for him, and I can't wait for everything to FINALLY work out!

There were so many twists and turns that I didn't see coming in Dreamless, and I really admire Josephine Angelini for her inventiveness with mythology. I will admit that I longed for more of the love story, but after Daphne's evil treachery (in my mind its evil) of convincing Lucas and Helen that they are cousins when they are not, I knew I was in for lots of angst (grrrr). Hopefully I will get more of my love story in book 3!

So....after much rambling about how I love this book, I will say that it is a MUST READ! I went through the gamut of emotions with this one--happiness, sadness, anger, disbelief, more anger, and a little (okay a lot) of lust :) Shame on me (hehe) or shame on Angelini for writing such a wonderfully addictive novel!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Sick Kids in Love

0.0 (0)
Isabel has one rule: no dating. It’s easier―...
Pawns (The Wielders of Arantha)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Seven hundred years in the future, a powerful alien...
Perfectly Oblivious

0.0 (0)
Cameron Bates (Cam) could have almost any girl at...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two...
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

0.0 (0)
In the last days of the twenty-first century, sea creatures...
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

0.0 (0)
What if Anna and Elsa never knew each other? ...

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth delivers...
Bernard Pepperlin

0.0 (0)
The drowsy Dormouse from Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland...
Vicarious

0.0 (0)
Paula Stokes weaves together a series of mysteries and the...
The Bookworm Crush

0.0 (0)
This spinoff of The Replacement Crush featuring Amy and Toff...
The Unexpected Everything

0.0 (0)
Andie must learn to embrace the beauty in chaos in...
What I Like About You

0.0 (0)
Can a love triangle have only two people in it?...
The Kinder Poison

0.0 (0)
In the magical kingdom of Orkena, Zahru has long dreamed...

Latest Member Reviews

Sick Kids in Love

"SICK KIDS IN LOVE is a beautiful story about love- as well as invisible illness/disability AND NOBODY DIES! (I do..."
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

"THE LIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD is a compelling and atmospheric YA fantasy/science fiction. In the future, the..."
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

"If you adored FROZEN, you need to get your hands on this Twisted Tale which reimagines the story if Anna..."

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."
The Bookworm Crush

"THE BOOKWORM CRUSH is an absolutely charming romantic comedy with all sorts of booklover homages. Amy McIntyre is @redheadrecs and..."
Scared Little Rabbits

"SCARED LITTLE RABBITS follows Nora (aka Eleanor, Lowercase) as she sets out on a summer camp adventure that resulted in..."
A Constellation of Roses

"A CONSTELLATION OF ROSES is a beautiful story of familial love and healing. Trix has been trying to make her..."
Frankly in Love

"FRANKLY IN LOVE is a surprisingly deep and heartfelt read. Although it is described as a rom-com, this is not..."
American Royals

"What if at the end of America’s Revolutionary War, George Washington was offered a crown and what if he said..."
Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

"This is the type of book I’d like to see included in school curriculums. The stories are like wide open..."
When the Stars Lead to You

"WHEN THE STARS LED TO YOU is quite the emotional YA contemporary. While on the surface it seems like a..."
We Are the Perfect Girl

"'We Are the Perfect Girl' by Ariel Kaplan is a Cyrano De Bergerac style story. There are a host of..."
Stranger Things: Runaway Max

"'Stranger Things: Runaway Max' by Brenna Yovanoff provides an intriguing look into Max's life before and during her time in..."
Crown of Oblivion

"Engrossing and completely thrilling, CROWN OF OBLIVION is a fantastic new YA fantasy that I highly recommend. Dealing with themes..."

"Four very different high school girls plan to spend one month together in GIRLS OF JULY, and they each have..."

"BETWEEN WORLDS: FOLKTALES OF BRITAIN AND IRELAND is a collection of short stories that have been passed down over centuries..."
Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed

"The story: Sheltered high school junior Andrea Cavanaugh believes she hits the jackpot when Josh McMillan, a..."
All the Things We Do in the Dark

"ALL THE THINGS WE DO IN THE DARK is an intensely challenging and thought-provoking read with some magical realism elements...."
Rules for Vanishing

"RULES FOR VANISHING is a deliciously haunting YA horror perfect for Halloween. Told through collected documents, interviews, and texts, this..."
What Makes Us

"WHAT MAKES US is an intriguing story that follows a teenaged boy, his mother (in the past), and his friend..."