Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Midnight City by J. Barton Mitchell
ARC received by St. Martin’s Griffin via LibraryThing
Release Date: 10-30-2012
Reviewed by: Middle Sis Jenn
The Sisters Say: Mystical, Mysterious and Malevolent

When I first read the synopsis for Midnight City, I was intrigued; but not really sold. I had that same outlook that I get when I see ANOTHER end-of-the-world alien movie coming out. You know the attitude—seen one, seen them all. I will say, with this book, I was pleasantly surprised. Hooked from Chapter 1, Mitchell kept me guessing, page by page, mystery by mystery, and near-death experience by near-death experience.

This book wastes no time getting to the good stuff. Straight off, I was thrown into a post-apocalyptic barren wasteland where it’s everyone for themselves. It’s kill or be killed. Betray or be betrayed. This world doesn’t have the luxury of time or calm or even love. In fact, love is the thing most likely to get you killed. As a result, Holt and Mira are both loners, highly skeptical of anything and everything—but they must learn to put aside those instincts and embrace each other—because the future of the world rest of their shoulders, as does Zoey—the key to it all.

I really enjoyed watching Holt and Mira bicker and torture each other. They are both such powerful people and are used to getting their own way, so when you throw these two in a ring, it’s wham-bam! Who is out for the count, though? You’ll have to read for yourself; and trust me, you’ll enjoy every minute of it.

My favorite part of this book was the paranormal aspects of the world—the Shadowlands. Things that originate there have some sort of magical quality—put them together and you can be invisible, create light, or even fly on the wind. I loved watching the new things that Mira made, and it gave a much needed mysticism to the plot. The thing that bothered me: the details! It got really confusing when Mira was mixing this coin with that essence and blah blah blah. I don’t need to know how it happens…just rub them together and show me the result. I tended to skip over the ritual parts and go right to what happens next.

Zoey, the little girl with powers, was cute and innocent; yet you didn’t know if you could trust her. I liked watching her cling to Holt and Mira, but then start to discover herself along the way. I have a feeling she’s going to be clutch as the series continues.

The suspense and mysticism were amazing—and I really look forward to these aspects in the next installment.

So, what bugged me?

There were some elements that were just too much like Independence Day and Signs and War of the Worlds. They didn’t feel original, and part of me felt cheated at the similarities.

There wasn’t enough romance woven throughout the action. It needed a softer touch to relieve all the tension.

Overall, this was a thrill-ride of a novel. And the ending? Let’s just say I have a feeling Book 2 is going to be even better!!!!! I highly recommend this to sci-fi lovers and those looking for something a little different than your regular dystopian or paranormal book.

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Baby Up, Baby Down: A First Book of Opposites

0.0 (0)
Handpicked by Amazon kids’ books editor, Seira Wilson, for Prime...
Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

0.0 (0)
Book three in a hilarious new series featuring one boy...

0.0 (0)
Everything starts with a question, like this one: Why do...

0.0 (0)
Worries, fears, and anxieties are all dragons that sneak up...

Latest Member Reviews

10 Things I Hate About Pinky

"10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT PINKY is a cute YA romance that features a fake-turned-real relationship and opposites-attract couple. Pinky..."
Not Another Love Song

"Different than I was expecting - and that’s a good thing! The story: All..."
Jo & Laurie

"Jo March is surprised at how well her novel LITTLE WOMEN has done. Now her publisher and readers want a..."
An Enchantment of Ravens

"I'm not very into reading fantasy (so I might not be the best person to review this). But I was..."
Cracked Up To Be

"Cracked up to be is an unsettling tale of a girl on the cusp of a mental breakdown for over..."
The Morning Flower (The Omte Origins, #2)

"THE MORNING FLOWER continues the OMTE ORIGINS story as Ulla continues to search for her heritage and for the missing..."
None of the Above

"This is one of those books that a reader can learn from. This is the first YA book that I..."
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

"THE LOST CITY is a highly engaging YA fantasy read about Ulla, a troll. Trolls are secretive creatures who live..."
Layoverland

"'Layoverland' by Gabby Noone, despite being about a teenager who has died, ironically creates a very inviting atmosphere for readers..."
Summer and July

"'Summer and July' by Paul Mosier is a beautifully written story perfect for summer reading. Readers will find themselves immersed..."
A Wicked Magic

"Friends Dan and Liss find a Black book of magic and try a spell. Only the spell goes terribly..."
Scarlet Odyssey

"SCARLET ODYSSEY is a high fantasy that takes place in a world at war. Men are often raised to be..."
Tigers, Not Daughters

"TIGERS, NOT DAUGHTERS is a lyrical book of sisterhood and grief. The Torres sisters had tried to escape their father..."
Tyler Johnson Was Here

"The fallout and protests following police choking George Floyd to death in Minnesota has consumed social media for the last..."
when you were everything

"WHEN YOU WERE EVERYTHING by Ashley Woodfolk is a YA Contemporary novel told in two timelines, “then” and “now.” The..."
Path of Night (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #3)

"PATH OF NIGHT is another great installment of the books based on the Netflix show, CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA. This..."
Unravel the Dusk (The Blood of Stars, #2)

"UNRAVEL THE DUSK is an enchanting sequel and finale to a unique YA fantasy. Maia is a tailor who dreamed..."
Sisters of Sword and Song

"SISTERS OF SWORD AND SONG is an enchanting and lush YA fantasy. The story follows two sisters, Halcyon and Evadne,..."
Straight On Till Morning: A Twisted Tale #8

"Straight on Till Morning is part of “A Twisted Tale” series, a multi author series of fairytale retellings created by..."
Faith Taking Flight

"Sixteen-year-old Faith Herbert has a secret. She can fly. When she runs into her fangirl crush Dakota, star of the..."