Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2287
Review: Stolen
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Originally posted on http://musingsofabookowl.blogspot.com.

I bought this book on a whim at a Barnes and Noble because my non-bookish (let's face it, none of my friends are bookish, but she reads occasionally) friend was with me and told me that I just had to read it. So, I picked it it up over the summer and I just now read it.

For the first two hundred pages, I was honestly creeped out and hated it. It took until the last hundred pages for me to really get into it, and from that point on it was really good. Granted, I knew the general idea of what Ty had planned curtsy of my not-so-courteous friend who likes to spoil things.

Like I said, I was initially freaked out by this book. My friend kept telling me how sweet it was and I just wasn't seeing the sweetness in drugging a girl and dragging her halfway around the world. Other than that, I really liked the concept of this book. I can't say much more without giving things away, but I have to admit that by the end I did see how it was a little sweet. It was freaky with Ty stalking Gemma and everything, but it's still unlike any other book, which I liked.

Gemma was a nice main character, not one of my favorites. I liked how it was written as a letter so it was half first person/half second person point-of-view, but I feel like I didn't get to know Gemma as well as we could have. She's supposed to be some rich girl living with absent parents, but I never get that vibe from her. Since we never see that side of her, we don't get to see her transformation as much, which was a little disappointing.

Ty just creeped me out the whole book. Every time he opened his mouth, something else creepy came out. I never really understood anything he did (the overlying thing I did), but the painting, the camel it was all sort of random and didn't give off a soft side like I think it was supposed to.

Overall, it was an okay book. Nothing special ever stood out to me, except for one or two of Ty's quotes. I'd recommend this as a boredom read. If you're looking for a break from a lot of the new books, this is a nice breather. But I wouldn't rush out to get it.
Good Points
Writing Style
Topic: Kidnapping
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...
The Brightsiders

0.0 (0)
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out,...
IMG_4918.jpg

0.0 (0)
The black X of the Aramach Rebels marks the...
City of Beasts

0.0 (0)
"If you see a beast, and you have the...
The Grace Year

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden....
The Fractured Empire

0.0 (0)
The Ceithren Empire is finally at peace, but for...
The Survival List

0.0 (0)
Sloane Weber is devastated when her older sister dies...
To Kill a Kingdom

0.0 (0)
This action-packed YA debut pits a deadly siren princess and...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA fantasy...
Kingdom of Souls

0.0 (0)
Magic has a price—if you’re willing to pay. The...
A Warm Friendship

0.0 (0)
"This heartwarming story deals with friendship, empathy, caring, nurturing and...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two young...

Latest Member Reviews

The Cold is in Her Bones

"What I Loved About THE COLD IS IN HER BONES: Milla lives an isolated life on..."
A Dream So Dark (A Blade So Black #2)

"*This review contains spoilers for book one, A BLADE SO BLACK* A DREAM SO DARK, sequel to A BLADE..."
Tiger Queen

"All Kateri wants to do is impress her father, become the queen she's meant to be, protect her people, and..."
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

"When Edie moves back to Mansfield to life with her aunt, uncle, and two cousins, she is reunited with her..."
Tiger Queen

"TIGER QUEEN is an engrossing retelling of the short story, THE LADY, OR THE TIGER? that really takes it above..."
The Surface Breaks: A Reimagining of The Little Mermaid

"THE SURFACE BREAKS is a slow-building retelling of The Little Mermaid. While staying true to the classic, this story adds..."
Not Now, Not Ever

"Lily Anderson’s sophomore novel follows Elliot "Ever" Gabaroche during an intense summer program to compete for a scholarship. It’s Not..."
The Last True Poets of the Sea

"THE LAST TRUE POETS OF THE SEA is a beautiful coming-of-age story. After her brother attempts suicide, he is sent..."
The Shadow Queen

""The Shadow Queen" is a fantastic retelling of Snow White. Lorelai is a young princess when her mother does and..."
The Forest Queen

"THE FOREST QUEEN by Betsy Cornwell caught my eye at first glance. The cover is beautiful and promises a tale..."
A Touch of Gold

"When I read the synopsis for this book I was immediately intrigued. I love retellings and this book seemed right..."
Storm-Wake

"Moss has grown up on a magical island with Pa, his stories, and their dogs. The island is filled with..."
Towering

""Towering" is the retelling of Rapunzel. It begins when Wyatt is sent from NYC by his mother to live with..."
A Court of Wings and Ruin

"Overall, this was a really fantastic finish to Feyre and Rhys's story. I loved the exploration of the world we..."
Wintersong

""Wintersong" is a fairytale come to life, featuring Elisabeth (Liesl), the innkeeper's daughter, and the fabled Goblin King, Der Erlkonig...."
Winter Glass (Spindle Fire #2)

"Prepare yourself, Winter Glass is set to destroy all the feels! This stunning conclusion full of sisterly love, romance, and..."
The Shadow Queen

"This is the retelling of Snow White. A story about a young girl is on a quest to reclaim her..."
Sleeping Beauty, the One Who Took the Really Long Nap

"SLEEPING BEAUTY: THE ONE WHO TOOK THE REALLY LONG NAP is the second book in Wendy's Twice Upon A Time..."
Lion vs. Rabbit

"Lion is not very nice. He bullies the other animals, and they're all afraid to stand up to him. In..."
The Taming of the Dudebro Volume I

"The Taming of the Dudebro Volume 1 was a fun, exciting and delightful read! I loved the plot, the characters..."