Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 3980
Mystery, Romance, Political Intrigue AND Magic!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Mystery, romance, political intrigue and magic - Mystic City has a little bit of everything! Immediately capturing my attention with Aria's suspicious memory loss, I was hooked from the start. While Aria definitely took too long to realize the truth, her journey of discovery was fascinating. Pair that with vivid images of a futuristic Manhattan, mostly underwater due to global warming, and you've got all the ingredients for a great story!

Lawrence's vision of a futuristic Manhattan was so vivid and described so clearly, I could easily picture the Aeries' towering skyscrapers, interspersed with seemingly floating catwalks and speeding air-trains, its clean lines and bright lights and Aria's skyward apartment. The Aeries stood in such stark contrast to the Depths, where everything was murky water, sludge and shadows, that the dichotomy Lawrence was trying to create was easily accomplished. The mythology behind the Mystics' abilities could have been better explained, since I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a future Earth or an alternate Earth where Mystics have always existed, but when it came time for them to show their true powers, I didn't care how they had them only that they were awesome!

Aria was an interesting protagonist. I loved her determination and her courage, but her naiveté was slightly tiring. Wishing only for the burning passion that she assumed would accompany true love, she quickly begins to question her feelings she has been told she has for Thomas. With her head and her heart at war - her head telling her that she loves Thomas while her heart says something is wrong - it was easy to see why she would be so confused. But as the evidence piled up, and her memories refused to put Thomas' face on her lover's body, I couldn't help but tire of her dogged refusal to see the truth. With a girl as smart as Aria, it really surprised me when it took her the entire book to figure out what I had known for more than half of Mystic City.

The plot is what I truly loved about Mystic City. It would have been enough that Aria was uncertain about whom to trust, considering her memories were completely absent. But the addition of her family's struggle to overcome a new-found political opponent, a registered Mystic from the Depths, added a level of suspense that was tangible. The twists and turns, the uncovered secrets and Aria's realization that her father would go as far as it took in order to secure his family's future in the Aeries was captivating! I was on edge, waiting to uncover more of her family's lies and to learn about the buried truth that many hoped had been forgotten.

While some of the twists were overly predictable, others had me grasping my Kindle a little harder in anticipation of what it would mean for Aria. With a heartwarming romance (that I'm not going to touch on for fear of getting too spoilery), mafia-style political wars, and a constant shroud of mystery due to Aria's missing memories, Mystic City is a must-read!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

How to Make Friends with the Dark

0.0 (0)
Here is what happens when your mother dies. ...
Girl at Heart

0.0 (0)
As the daughter of a successful Major League pitcher, Charlie...
Serious Moonlight

0.0 (0)
After an awkward first encounter, Birdie and Daniel are forced...
Sway

0.0 (0)
In Kat Spears’s hilarious and often poignant debut, high school...
Scarlet Epstein Hates it Here

0.0 (0)
Meet Scarlett Epstein, BNF (Big Name Fan) in her online...
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Renée Ahdieh returns with...
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth...
The Boy Who Dreamt the World

0.0 (0)
Adam is living the dream, literally.... There are two...
Colliding Skies

0.0 (0)
Since Skye Reilly can remember, she has been looking...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history,...
Dating Nashville

0.0 (0)
Becks: How does a straight guy accidentally come out...
Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

0.0 (0)
A young adult anthology featuring fictional stories of everyday...
I Know When You're Going To Die

0.0 (0)
Leonardo Cantrell is a painfully shy sixteen-year-old who cannot look...
Dog and Rabbit

0.0 (0)
A funny, sweet story of unrequited friendship from the creator...
I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

0.0 (0)
Lena and Campbell aren't friends. ...
Symptoms of a Heartbreak

0.0 (0)
The youngest doctor in America, an Indian-American teen makes her...

Latest Member Reviews

How to Make Friends with the Dark

"A weighty YA Contemporary, grappling with a wide array of crises and quandaries. What I..."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"I’m not going to lie….I read The Burning Shadow in two days. It could’ve been one sitting if my eyelids..."
The Grace Year

"It’s been one week since I finished The Grace Year by Kim Liggett as I sit down to start this..."
Dog and Rabbit

"DOG AND RABBIT is a charming tale of friendship. Told in four parts, the book introduces Dog and then Rabbit...."
Symptoms of a Heartbreak

"I started out reading an ARC of Symptoms of a Heartbreak, but then I switched to reading a hardcover in..."
Dating Nashville

"If you read the first series, Redefining Me, you got a glimpse at these characters and probably love them just..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"I’m going to start out this post by letting it be known by all and sundry that I was provided..."
Sick Kids in Love

"SICK KIDS IN LOVE is a beautiful story about love- as well as invisible illness/disability AND NOBODY DIES! (I do..."
Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)

"I never wanted to be a superhero as a child, but I wanted to do heroic things. Tristan Strong epitomizes..."
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

"THE LIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD is a compelling and atmospheric YA fantasy/science fiction. In the future, the..."
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

"If you adored FROZEN, you need to get your hands on this Twisted Tale which reimagines the story if Anna..."
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."