Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2320
Just as Funny as Croak
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Gina Damico's Croak ranks as one of the funniest books I've ever read. She has this great, dark, absurdist sense of humor that I cannot get enough of. She has a way of making even the weirdest things sound believable. As such, Scorch was one of my most anticipated books and I was lucky enough to get an ARC at BEA. While, I didn't fall quite as in love with Scorch, though I cannot put my finger on quite why, it's still a wonderful sequel, hilarious and satisfying.

Something I had forgotten about the end of Croak was that someone died. Oh, my memory. Anyway, it surprised me all over again. Take that to heart, guys. Gina Damico's book may rank as humor first, but don't forget the dark part. She kills off and damages beloved characters when you're least expecting it and in ways you never could have anticipated. A lot of YA authors cringe away from things like that, even when turning their hands to dystopias, but not so Damico. This lends a darker, more serious feel to what, on the surface, appear to be lighthearded comedies about grim reapers.

Are you worried now about who will be killed? You should be, because Damico's characters are wonderful and just bursting with life. They're all, almost to a Grim, sarcastic, intelligent and people that I want to be friends with. All of our old favorites are back: Lex, Ferbus, Elysia, Driggs, Mort, and more, but there are also a few wonderful new characters added into the mix.

Lex, of course, is our indomitable heroine. She's clever, violent, and has a powerful sense of justice. She doesn't love easily, but, when she does, she will stop at nothing to protect the people she loves. Lex seems a bit softened by her time spent among good friends who understand her, but she definitely has not lost her hard edge just because she's happy with a boyfriend. Never will this girl stop being a powerhouse.

Driggs, her boyfriend, is just as charmingly rumpled as he was in the first book. Lex and Driggs are a bit of a disgusting couple, though that may be due to the gross-out descriptions of their make out sessions (Damico's not going for swoons here). The two of them spend pretty much all of their time together, and are surprisingly lovey-dovey and open about their feelings. I would be totally icked out by them, but they're just so weird and perfect for each other that I can't help but wish them the best. Rather than being stereotypes of perfection, they're just these two strange people who seem to be belong together.

Ferbus and Elysia continue to do their snarky banter back and forth. He grumps about completely everything. She has all of the perk and love of parties of Pinkie Pie. The new additions to the group, two new Juniors, I was initially skeptical of, but I came to love them just as much as the rest of the crew. Pip and Bang are step siblings. Pip talks constantly and drives Ferbus batty. Bang doesn't talk at all, instead communicating via arm gestures. These too seem obnoxious at first, but turn out to be every bit as capable and endearingly kooky as most Croakers.

The plot of Scorch follows Zara's reign of terror, as she Damns innocent people left and right, demanding that Lex and her gang fork over The Wrong Book, which contains the secrets to unmaking the world as they know it. Unfortunately, Lex isn't sure where or how to get the book, and most of Croak blames her for everything that's going on. Croak used to be idyllic, but not so much anymore.

The Croak series can best be compared to the television show Dead Like Me, sharing the quirky, dark humor as well as subject matter. If you, like me, love shows like Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies, you NEED to read Gina Damico, because she wrote these for oddballs like us, and there are more coming!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Earth-Shattering Events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters

0.0 (0)
An atlas of the most extreme meteorological and geological disasters...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...
Gut Garden: A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome

0.0 (0)
A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome! Within...
ICK! Delightfully Disgusting Animal Dinners, Dwellings, and Defenses

0.0 (0)
Animals--they're cute and fluffy, cuddly and puffy, and ... sometimes...
Dinosaurs Are Not Extinct: Real Facts About Real Dinosaurs

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Drew Sheneman brings budding paleontologists the truth about...
The Camelot Betrayal

0.0 (0)
The second book in a new fantasy trilogy from New...
Soulswift

0.0 (0)
A dark, epic fantasy about a girl who must rethink...
Goblin King

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Beautiful Wild

0.0 (0)
You are invited to set sail on the maiden voyage...

Latest Member Reviews

The Day Before (Riverdale Novel 1)

"Riverdale: The Day Before features the perspectives of the four main characters of season 1: Jughead, Archie, Betty, and Veronica...."
These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)

""These Broken Stars" is an interesting YA sci-fi that follows two young people after a space shuttle crash. Lilac LeRoux..."
Deception (Defiance #2)

""Deception" continues Rachel and Logan's story as the survivors of Baalboden head into Wasteland to make a new life for..."
Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars #2)

""Across a Star-Swept Sea" is an incredible sequel that introduces a new world and cast of characters, making it also..."
Ready Player One

"I enjoyed this story it kept me entertained. I enjoyed the characters and ending."
These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)

"I’ll admit I was a bit hesitant to pick this one up. First of all, it sounded a bit like..."
Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

"What a ride! As a Poe enthusiast, I found this book irresistible. I struggled to put it down. And, when..."
Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

" It's great! What I love the most is how dark and gritty the world felt. It was so cool..."
How to Disappear

"I am so absolutely in love with Sharon Huss Roat. Her books are funny, relatable, and so easily devoured. I..."
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

"Possible spoilers ahead. Angelfall is most definitely a unique story with a dark twist on angels and the apocalypse..."
172 Hours on the Moon

"172 Hours on the Moon was an interesting novel. It was full of suspense, thrills, and horror. The author crafted..."
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

"This book follows Penryn, a young girl living in a dystopian world where angels have conquered the world and have..."
Vampire Academy: Last Sacrifice (Book 6)

"Rose Hathaway and Princess Valissa Dragomir must uncover the mysteries going on in St. Vladamir's Academy and their world. St...."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Definitely the reason why I decided to reread this was because of the show. and now that I finished reading..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Thirteen Reasons Why (stylised as Th1rteen R3eason Why) follows shy high school teenager Clay Jensen. Clay has received a..."
L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy #1)

"This is is not very good but for some reason I kind of enjoyed it. It's going to be one..."
Anna and the French Kiss

"Anna's father decides he's going to send Anna to a international boarding school in Paris. It's her senior year and..."
Allegiant (Divergent #3)

"The Divergent series comes to an end as Tris, Tobias and the gang venture outside the fence. This was another..."
Vampire Academy: Last Sacrifice (Book 6)

"4.5 stars! Action packed and filled with humor, the Vampire Academy series is a great read for teens. Richelle Mead..."
Ready Player One

K Karen@Thebookreturn.com
"I have to say that I think this will be a must read for everyone although I think that those..."