Review Detail

The Selection FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 13403
Ignore The Controversy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A good start to a series. I admit I'm one of those people that hate reality TV shows, especially "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette". I abhor those shows and I go out of my way to avoid them. So, when I was attracted to this cover (look how pretty it is) I hesitated when I read the synopsis. It did sound remotely like one of those TV shows but I gave it a chance.

I'm glad that I read it because I ended up really enjoying it. Some people say that it's too much like "The Bachelor". Yes, it does have similarities, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they're the same thing.

America Singer is apposed to the idea of becoming a princess. She is in love with a boy from her neighborhood so she doesn't see the point of trying to fall in love with Prince Maxon. She only ends up going to the "competition" because in doing so, her family will be compensated in money and status. What unfolds between all the competitors and the Prince, I'll let you find out for yourself, but I will tell you that America's reason for staying close to the Prince changes with time.

With all the controversy surrounding this book, it's bound to get very good and very bad ratings. Before joining one camp, read the book and make up your own mind. We live in a free world, not a dystopian one like in "The Selection", so try to think for yourself and give your OWN opinion.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Shatter City

0.0 (0)
When the world sees Frey, they think they see her...
If You Miss Me

0.0 (0)
A healing story of loss and love, this beautiful picture...
Learning about the Garden with Sleeping Beauty (Fairytale Encyclopedia)

0.0 (0)
Roses were very dangerous for Sleeping Beauty―that everybody knows. But...
Squirrel Do Bad (Trubble Town, #4)

0.0 (0)
From the author of the “Pearls Before Swine” comic strip...
Playing the Cards You'reDealt

0.0 (0)
Ten-year-old Anthony Joplin has made it to double digits! Which...
Discovering the Underground with Snow White (Fairytale Encyclopedia)

0.0 (0)
There are not only dwarves in the underground. This hidden...
Rock by Rock: The Fantastical Garden of Nek Chand

0.0 (0)
This luminous picture book tells the fascinating true story of...
Bisa's Carnaval

0.0 (0)
Discover the sights and sounds of Brazil through the eyes...
Redemptor (Raybearer, #2)

0.0 (0)
The highly anticipated sequel to Raybearer, the instant New York...
Dark and Shallow Lies

0.0 (0)
A teen girl disappears from her small town deep in...
Imposters

5.0 (1)
Frey and Rafi are inseparable . . . but very...
Better Than the Movies

5.0 (1)
Liz Buxbaum has always known that Wes Bennett was not...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

5.0 (1)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

5.0 (1)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...

Latest Member Reviews

Final Season

"Ben Redd enjoys playing football with his 6th grade friends, especially Tuna, even though sometimes the way they act worries..."
Samira Surfs

"In 2012, Samira and her family are members of the Rohingya people. Because of the oppressive government in Myanmar (or..."
Thanks a Lot, Universe

"Brian has anxiety at the best of times. He manages at school, and was on the basketball team, but he..."
Baseball Baby

"BASEBALL BABY is a cute, rhyming board book about the joy of baseball games and learning to play. Baby loves..."
Soccer Baby

"SOCCER BABY is a delightful board book that captures all the joy of watching and playing the sport. Baby loves..."
Rivals

"The Walthorne Souths Panther and the Walthorne North Cougars are bitter rivals, a conflict which is heightened due to the..."
Baseball Baby

"BASEBALL BABY is a delightful board book about baseball. The book begins with heading to the park to play baseball..."
The Wizenard Series: Season One

"THE WIZENARD SERIES: SEASON ONE is written by Wesley King and created by Kobe Bryant. The MG fantasy follows Reggie,..."
The Derby Daredevils: Kenzie Kickstarts a Team: (The Derby Daredevils Book #1)

"Kenzie and her best friend Shelley love roller derby, a sport in which they are interested because Kenzie's mother is..."
Slamdown Town

"Ollie is in 6th grade and is small for his age. His older brother, Hollis, is in 8th, and has..."
Deathstrike (Ultraball #2)

"After narrowly avoiding disaster in Ultraball, the Miners (coached by Strike) are back for a new season. When the team..."
One Last Shot

"*Couldn't resist this title. Is there anyone who remembers the computer game on CD-Rom called Putt Putt Saves the Zoo?..."
My Life as a Potato

"Ben Hardy's family has moved from California to Idaho, and he's having a bit of a hard time adjusting. Luckily,..."
The Big Game

"Danny lives in Texas with his mother and former Pittsburgh Steelers player father, who now sells farm machinery. The father..."
Pippa Park Raises Her Game

"Pippa loves to play basketball and struggles a tiny bit in school. She lives with her much older sister, Mina,..."
Midnight on Strange Street

"The town of Callaway, Texas, is a refuge from the global war that is going on and affecting Los Angeles...."
Gabby Garcia’s Ultimate Playbook #3: Sidelined

"Gabby travels from Peach Tree to Seattle with her family for a vacation, but it ends disastrously. Not only is..."
Gabby Garcia's Ultimate Playbook  (Gabby Garcia #1)

"Gabby's year is going very well, and she's just about to make the most brilliant baseball play of her life..."
Speed Demon

"Tim has recently moved to town and is starting ninth grade at Hilton Prep. During gym class one day, his..."
I Got Next

"I GOT NEXT is a picture book about self-confidence. A boy encourages himself to challenge the other kids who are..."