Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 12268
A perfect and original Fairy Tale retelling!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This is a wonderful debut YA novel by Marissa Meyer that captured me right from the start. She was able to add science fiction and magical elements to a classical fairy tale that many of us grew up with.

Loosely based on the Cinderella fairy tale, the novel introduces us to Cinder as she's looking for a foot to replace the one that she's outgrown. As a cyborg, she is made up of many inhuman parts. Her leg, her arms. Even her central nervous system has been modified.

I really admire the author's way of making her main character so different from other teenagers of this futuristic world. Not only is she a cyborg, but she’s also forced to be the breadwinner of her adoptive mother and sisters. She works as a mechanic in the town square instead of doing what other teenage girls might enjoy. I believe many young adults can associate with the all the restrictions and rules her adoptive mother places on Cinder. All she truly wants is to be independent and be seen as a normal girl, despite all her physical flaws.

“Cinder. How fitting. Ashes. Dirt. Filth.” I really like this quote where someone is describing Cinder’s name. Her name literally means ashes, but I think the author is trying to make us see past the literal sense and witness her eventual rise from the ashes. Cinder is learning who she is and what she can do, and I think this transformation will be monumental in the books to come.

It's interesting that Cinder meets Prince Kai right at the beginning of the book. As he enlists her help to fix his android, they engage in an odd relationship. Cinder feels attracted to him but remains distant. Prince Kai is intrigued by this unique girl. When he invites her to be his personal guest at a grand ball, he still doesn’t know that she’s a cyborg since Cinder is hesitant to reveal herself. The dialogue between these two characters feels strenuous at times, but overall I believe they make a nice and believable couple.

Just for fun, I wanted to make a short list of the similarities/differences between Cinderella and Cinder.Of course, both books have Princes: Cinderella has her Prince Charming and Cinder has Prince Kai. As for the Fairy God-mother, she is replaced by Iko, Cinder’s android and helpful friend. Cinderella works as a maid for her step mother, while Cinder works as a mechanic for her adoptive mother. Instead of losing a glass slipper, Cinder loses her new Cyborg foot. Cinder also makes a grand entrance and arrives at the ball in a fixed-up old car instead of a pumpkin. And, obviously, Cinderella finishes with a happy ending but in Cinder’s case, the end will follow in the next books of the saga.

Despite the similarities, one of the reasons I like this novel so much is because the author didn’t necessarily concentrate on the original fairy tale story line. It’s not all about finding the perfect prince. Yes, there were many similarities, but the author is also telling us the story of a futuristic Earth that is being threatened by the special and magical race of human beings living on the moon. There is also the other problem where many humans are dying from the infectious disease of letumosis.

I'm a sucker for a fairy tale with a good ending, but even if this one doesn't end like normal one, I think it's a great beginning to an entertaining saga. The merging of a fairy tale within a science fiction realm is original and refreshing. I can think of a few modern film adaption of Cinderella but nothing comes close to Cinder.

Overall, I highly recommend this book. And please, if you notice any other similarities between the fairy tale and the book, please let me know!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...
Manu: A Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
Set at a magical school for girls, a funny and...
Barakah Beats

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Nimra Sharif has spent her whole life in Islamic...
Cold-Blooded Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #3)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle—twelve-year-old Young Lady of Quality and Victorian amateur detective—is...
How to Get Away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #2)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle has no desire to go on a relaxing...
Playing the Cards Your Dealt

0.0 (0)
Ten-year-old Anthony Joplin has made it to double digits! Which...
Kyle's Little Sister

0.0 (0)
My name is Grace, not "Kyle's little sister!" ...
Ground Zero

0.0 (0)
In time for the twentieth anniversary of 9/11, master storyteller...
Final Season

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author and former NFL player...

Latest Member Reviews

Of Princes and Promises (Rosetta Academy, #2)

"OF PRINCES AND PROMISES is an interesting twist on The Frog Prince that adds a bit of magic into a..."
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

"Return to Enchantia and meet the Glass Queen in this second installment of Gena Showalter‘s series Forest of Good and..."
The Evil Queen audiobook

"The Evil Queen by Gena Showalter has been on my radar since it first hit shelves in 2019. I love..."
Glimpsed

"GLIMPSED gives us a twist on the typical fairytale with Charity, a fairy godmother from a line of fairy godmothers...."
Tales from the Hinterland

"TALES FROM THE HINTERLAND is an enchanting, haunting, and deliciously creepy collection of fairytales. Completely new and unlike anything I..."
The Mirror: Broken Wish (The Mirror, #1)

"BROKEN WISH is a beautifully composed fairytale. The book begins with the story of Mathilda and Agnes, neighbors who have..."
Among the Beasts and Briars

"Ashley Poston has crafted a new fairy tale for the ages! Among the Beasts and Briars may very well be..."
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

"THE GLASS QUEEN is an intense and fantastically written fairytale retelling of Cinderella. In the kingdom of Enchantia, fairytales are..."
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

"If you adored FROZEN, you need to get your hands on this Twisted Tale which reimagines the story if Anna..."
The Beholder

"When Selah's proposal to her childhood crush is rejected, she is sent away on a boat to meet possible suitors...."
The Surface Breaks: A Reimagining of The Little Mermaid

"THE SURFACE BREAKS is a slow-building retelling of The Little Mermaid. While staying true to the classic, this story adds..."
The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)

"If you love a snarky heroine, surprise twists and turns, and a fairytale-themed plot, THE EVIL QUEEN is designed to..."
The Blood Spell

"Based loosely on the tale of Cinderella, The Blood Spell is the fourth standalone installment for the Ravenspire series of..."
The Blood Spell

"Blue de la Cour enjoys her quiet life with her father, passing the days by working in the shop and..."
The Shadow Queen

""The Shadow Queen" is a fantastic retelling of Snow White. Lorelai is a young princess when her mother does and..."
Towering

""Towering" is the retelling of Rapunzel. It begins when Wyatt is sent from NYC by his mother to live with..."
A Court of Wings and Ruin

"Overall, this was a really fantastic finish to Feyre and Rhys's story. I loved the exploration of the world we..."
The Traitor Prince

"A twisted dark tale of The Prince and the Pauper. The third installment of the Ravenspire series was by far..."
The Shadow Queen

"This is the retelling of Snow White. A story about a young girl is on a quest to reclaim her..."
The Traitor Prince

"An adventurous, accessible YA fantasy—with likely appeal for fans of An Ember In The Ashes. Based loosely on an..."