Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4781
Better than the first but still not great
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

In The Goddess Test, I really enjoyed the way Aimée Carter created her own version of the Greek Mythology world and made the Olympian characters her own. In GODDESS INTERRUPTED, she took it to the next level (literally) by bringing the story to the underworld. Greek Mythology is all about personification and giving gods and goddesses human emotions. One thing the author is very good at, is differentiating her characters through emotions and personality, and since there are so many characters in this series, differentiation is a good thing.

For a young woman married to the King of the Underworld, Kate Winters was still very immature and naïve at the beginning of the book. Often, she was wondering if her husband Henry really loved her and if their marriage was just one of necessity. Her doubts were well founded, since Henry never really demonstrated his emotions. Sometimes, I just felt like slapping her because her doubts were present throughout the book and it became very repetitive. Fortunately, we saw Kate mature a little as the book progressed. She gained confidence in not only herself but in her capacity to become a leader. After battling it out against one of the only enemies that can kill Kate and the Olympians, I believe she has gotten closer to being real Queen material. One of the things I love to see, over the course of a series, is the evolution of a character into a stronger person and I think I’ve become more attached to Kate because of her personal growth. However, she still has a lot to learn before being confortable in her role as Queen.

One character I did not expect to meet was Persephone. In the first book, Henry’s memories of Persephone were a big threat to Kate. In this second book, this exact same person might be the only one who has the knowledge to save Henry. The animosity between Kate and Persephone was very tangible, right when they first met. I’m still not sure why Persephone tried to help Kate and the rest of her group, since I viewed her as a very selfish person. And for that matter, I’m still not sure if it was truly necessary for Persephone to have an active role in the book. I would have been content with her being just a memory, since she is, theoretically dead. Besides adding to Kate’s doubts, she really didn’t add to the story, in my opinion.

Along with her fictional character Kate, Aimée Carter is slowly maturing as an author. I love the world she’s created since it keeps me coming back for more. However, I would have loved to see more Henry scenes in this book. He’s such a broody and strong character that any scene with him is an enjoyable one. I just hope he’ll be more present in the third book. Also, the next book is guaranteed to start with a bang since the cliffhanger of this one is a huge. I think we can all agree that having the main character black out is a pretty abrupt and frustrating ending.

Overall, GODDESS INTERRUPTED was an enjoyable read and I would recommend it to anyone who’s a fan of Greek mythology.

The publisher provided me with a copy of Goddess Interrupted. No goody bags, sponsorship, material goods, or bribes were exchanged for my review.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...
Manu: A Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
Set at a magical school for girls, a funny and...
Barakah Beats

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Nimra Sharif has spent her whole life in Islamic...
Cold-Blooded Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #3)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle—twelve-year-old Young Lady of Quality and Victorian amateur detective—is...
How to Get Away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #2)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle has no desire to go on a relaxing...
Playing the Cards Your Dealt

0.0 (0)
Ten-year-old Anthony Joplin has made it to double digits! Which...
Kyle's Little Sister

0.0 (0)
My name is Grace, not "Kyle's little sister!" ...
Ground Zero

0.0 (0)
In time for the twentieth anniversary of 9/11, master storyteller...
Final Season

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author and former NFL player...
Sunny Makes a Splash (Sunny #4)

0.0 (0)
The latest in the New York Times bestselling Sunny series...
The Magical Reality of Nadia (The Magical Reality of Nadia #1)

0.0 (0)
Inspired by the author's real life experiences, this rollicking, charming...
What Adults Don’t Know About Architecture: Inspiring young minds to build a more beautiful world

0.0 (0)
Children are rarely introduced properly to architecture, but there are...
The Curse of the Crystal Cavern (The Pathfinders Society #2)

0.0 (0)
Fresh from their hair-raising adventures in The Mystery of the...

Latest Member Reviews

The Cost of Knowing

"THE COST OF KNOWING is a heartbreaking and beautiful read about family, fate, and racism. After losing his parents and..."
Fire with Fire

"Dani Rivera may excel at every part of her dragon slaying training, but she would rather focus on being normal..."
Not Even Bones

"So, this book was not what I was expecting it to be. First, it takes place in the real world...."
Again Again

"AGAIN AGAIN is an intriguing YA contemporary that tells the story of Adelaide's summer. Adelaide is still reeling from her..."
The Project

"What worked: This is one intense psychological tale of a girl trying to reconnect with her sister after she joins..."
The Project

"THE PROJECT is an intense and captivating YA psychological thriller. After Lo was critically injured in the car crash that..."
Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter

"Teen Mary Shelley is the many times great granddaughter of the legendary writer. Everyone in the Shelley lineage has become..."
The Project

"Lo Denham, magazine assistant and loner, is looking for her sister, Bea. Six years ago, Lo's parents died in a..."
You Have a Match

"YOU HAVE A MATCH is a beautifully written YA contemporary about family, summer, forgiveness, and best friend crushes. Abby is..."
Like Sisters on the Homefront

"Top 3 reasons to read LIKE SISTERS ON THE HOMEFRONT: 1.) The characters- Gayle, a NYC girl sent to..."
The Sullivan Sisters

"Eileen, Claire, and Murphy Sullivan used to be close. They had their special traditions, their shared laughs, and their shared..."
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

"If you adored FROZEN, you need to get your hands on this Twisted Tale which reimagines the story if Anna..."
What Makes Us

"WHAT MAKES US is an intriguing story that follows a teenaged boy, his mother (in the past), and his friend..."
I'll Give You the Sun

"I’ll Give You the Sun is a masterpiece of the Young Adult genre, perfectly incorporating the feel of what it..."
The Cold is in Her Bones

"What I Loved About THE COLD IS IN HER BONES: Milla lives an isolated life on..."
Don't Date Rosa Santos

"DON’T DATE ROSA SANTOS is a sweet and touching book about family. Rosa lives with her grandmother, and she sees..."
The Beautiful Lost

"A first-person past-tense telling exclusively from the perspective of Maia, a depressed high school sophomore with some ambitious—if half-formed—plans for..."
10 Blind Dates

"10 BLIND DATES is the must-read romantic comedy of the fall! Sophie is staying with her grandparents and her very..."
The Wise and the Wicked

"Ruby and her sisters come from a long line of wise and powerful women. When their grandmother and her sisters..."
The Dark Beneath the Ice

"THE DARK BENEATH THE ICE is a stunningly written YA horror that follows Marianne as she starts losing time, sees..."