Origin FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 4809
How Far Would You Go for Immortality?
(Updated: August 22, 2012)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I was really excited to be able to grab a galley of ORIGIN at ALA. I read the teaser in the BEA BUZZ that was available on Netgalley. That teaser alone made me want to read this story!

This is a beautifully written futuristic YA that brings up the whole question: What would you do to achieve immortality? How far would you go?

Pia is an immortal seventeen year old. She's sheltered from the rest of the world somewhere deep in the Amazon rain forest. I almost sense that the scientists there consider her kind of like a pet. She's special and they promise her that she'll become like a god and have her own kind. But she has to wait. During a storm, a hole appears in the electrical fence. Curious, she ventures out and encounters Eio, a very cute native. Emotions swept through her driving her to be around Eio even through the rational part of her warns her against it. She calls this her 'wild' Pia. She knows she should ignore the promptings to continue meeting in secret with Eio but she can't.

I was hooked right at the beginning. Though I have to admit the whole test with the poor bird at first kind of turned me off but then I realized how symbolic it was. Pia lives in a building that is made of glass. Just like the bird she can see outside but she can't escape. Little does she know that that test will lead up to many more harder ones that will test her own humanity.

I love forbidden romances and ORIGIN doesn't disappoint! The chemistry between Eio is intense and magnetic. I believed that she'd feel a sudden overwhelming attraction to this stranger. Eio shows her a whole different world within the jungle. Pia is drawn to this forbidden way of life while struggling to make sense of it all.

I loved how Khoury shows how Pia's so-called perfect world shatters with the revelations that happen around Eio's appearance. Little flaws appear that are hard to ignore. Each one has Pia look at her world in a different way.

Add to that the mystery behind Pia. What is the secret the scientists are hiding from her? And why is she the key to creating a whole new race of immortals?

Pia has to make some very hard choices in order to achieve what she feels is her purpose in life. The scientists around her aren't all the cliche 'mad' scientists. Harriet helps Pia with her own deception when she arrives to Little Cam. All have their own secrets.

There's a lot to love about this futuristic tale that is so much more than just another cloning story. I can tell the author did her research. The jungle setting is lush. Pia goes on her own heroine's journey and the denoucement at the end is very satisfying.

Set in the lush Amazon, this story is guaranteed to have you pondering it's message of the tough costs of immortality with characters you want to stay with. Add a touch of forbidden love. What's not to love?

Good Points
1. Suspenseful mystery with some romance
2. Great chemistry between Pia and Eio which hints at a forbidden romance
3. Great world building
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites,...
Ember of Night

0.0 (0)
I am a weed. Unloved by my abusive, alcoholic...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good...
Perfectly Parvin

0.0 (0)
Fourteen-year-old Iranian-American Parvin Mohammadi sets out to win the...
Havoc (Haven, #2)

0.0 (0)
For the first time in his life, Rain Ryland...
Finding Junie Kim

0.0 (0)
Junie Kim just wants to fit in. So she keeps...
Parachutes

0.0 (0)
Speak enters the world of Gossip Girl in this modern...
The Bachmann Family Secret

0.0 (0)
Jaret Bachmann travels with his family to his beloved...
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

0.0 (0)
For fans of Morgan Matson's Save the Date comes a...
Nosotros Means Us: Un cuento bilingüe

0.0 (0)
A moving bilingual ode to the unshakeable bond between a...
Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...

Latest Member Reviews

The Promised Prince

"Hello viewers, I am Eva Joe, from the USA, i want to use this opportunity to thank Dr. DAVID ..."
The Promised Prince

"When Renna goes swimming in a pond, she never expects to meet a boy named Trev in the most unladylike..."
Moon & Shadow: A tale of Liamec (Tales of Liamec Book 1)

"Overall, This book was different from anything I've read in a while. It was more like a folktale which was..."
The Raven and the Dove

"I've honestly had my eye on this book for a while, and finally decided to pick it up. As the..."
Fate Calling

"Fate Calling by Lindsay Grace is a beautifully written fae fantasy about a young human girl named Aislinn and a..."
Reign of Secrets

"What worked: The magical aspect of this book had me turning pages quickly. It was easy to read and..."
The Lightbringer: Through the Elder Stone

"The Lightbringer plays on that classic trope of light vs dark, but in a fresh way with unheard of magical..."
Fate Calling

"When Aislinn and Catriona are taken into the fae realm, their fate falls into the hands of a broody prince/rightful..."
With Shield and Ink and Bone

"The story: A Viking, Liv has earned her shield and is set to take her place as a shield..."
With Shield and Ink and Bone

"For those who can't get enough of Vikings, Norse Mythology, and kick-butt female leads, this one is for you. ..."
The First Holidays

"This short story is perfect for people who loved The Last Summer and for those excited for The Final Chance...."
My Best Friend Prince Charming

"‘My Best Friend Prince Charming’ by Cindy Ray Hale tells the story of Ryker and Shannon, two best friends who..."
The Fire in the Glass

"Lily can see the future and when she sees her friend killed, she tries to save her. Lily is an..."
Anchored

"Unlike anything I've read before. The Story: Alora is of two worlds. During her..."
The Curse of Jenny Greene

"I should start by saying The Curse of Jenny Greene is far from my normal genre preferences. I’m not usually..."
Emmie and the Tudor Queen

"This sequel resolved a lot of questions I had that weren’t answered in the first book like where did the..."
The Reclaimed Kingdom (The Syphon Series, Book 1)

"I’m a new fan of Dana Claire as I recently read “The Connection” and loved it. While I eagerly..."
Sleeping Beauty's Spindle

"Briar Rose hasn't had any easy life. After losing her parents, she's struggling to keep her siblings together as a..."
The First Holidays

"A sweet and perfect novella to go with this series. The Story: Four best..."
The Connection

"I’ll cut to the chase before I delve into a more detailed review; I loved this book! I binge-read The..."