Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2765
Abandon (A Room with Books review)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

When I started reading Abandon, I wasn't quite feeling it. It kept jumping around from the past to the present to the past again and it was kind of hard to keep up. The transitions weren't at all obvious and a lot of the times I'd have to flip back to check where in the timeline I was. In the end, though, I was devouring it.

I thought I might have a problem with the relationship between Pierce and John because the whole we-barely-know-each-other-but-it's-love paranormal romance thing doesn't usually appeal to me, but I ended up really rooting for them to be together. I'm not sure what it was about John, but he's quite swoony. And once again, the typical paranormal bad boy is not at all my thing. In fact, I'm more of cute-and-sweet-nerd love kind of gal. Maybe it's that John may have been kind of grumpy sometimes but he also just seemed kind of innocent. Like he has no idea why a girl would be terrified at the thought of spending forever in some strange guys room.

I liked that there was a lot of setup in Abandon, but it didn't feel like there was. A lot of the side story-lines will carry into the next book, but I didn't even realize they weren't going to be tied up until I turned the last page. Also, for all you cliffhanger haters, I didn't feel like the end was that much of a cliffhanger. Sure, it's not all tied up with a pretty little bow but it's not like "will Pierce make it out of the River Styx alive or will she DROWN?! Find out next time!" And no, that's not a spoiler.

One minor little gripe I had was with the way the dialogue was broken up. I don't like when it looks like this: "What," Alex asked while turning around from his post at the dishes, "do you think you are doing?" It just feels so unnatural and it happened SO many times.

The Nutshell: Abandon started out a little rocky for me, but I ended up loving it. I mean, if paper burns were possible, I would probably have had them from flipping pages so fast. If you like variations of Greek mythology then this is definitely a book for you. If you like Meg Cabot with a dash (and then some) of paranormal, then give Abandon a try. If you like the wounded-bad-boy thing then what are you waiting for?
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

What Adults Don’t Know About Architecture: Inspiring young minds to build a more beautiful world

0.0 (0)
Children are rarely introduced properly to architecture, but there are...
The Curse of the Crystal Cavern (The Pathfinders Society #2)

0.0 (0)
Fresh from their hair-raising adventures in The Mystery of the...
The Mystery of the Moon Tower (The Pathfinders Society)

0.0 (0)
Kyle is a new kid in town who likes to...
Fresh

0.0 (0)
A hilarious and vulnerable coming-of-age story about the thrilling...
Sting Magic

0.0 (0)
She has the wrong kind of magic but the...
Poison Ivy: Thorns

0.0 (0)
There's something unusual about Pamela Isley--the girl who hides...
The Dead and the Dark

0.0 (0)
Courtney Gould’s thrilling YA debut The Dead and the...
The Great Destroyers

0.0 (0)
Blood, sweat, and death. Welcome to the Pax Games....
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this thrilling adventure, our magical heroine embarks on...
Lies My Memory Told Me

0.0 (0)
From the thrilling voice of Sacha Wunsch comes a heart-stopping...
Signs of Survival A Memoir of the Holocaust

0.0 (0)
RENEE: I was ten years old then, and my sister...
So. Many. Feelings Stickers: 2,700 Stickers for Every Mood

0.0 (0)
2,700 stickers for every mood! ...
Hi-Five Farm!

0.0 (0)
Ready, set, off we go! ...
Sugar and Spite

0.0 (0)
Jolina can't take Claudine's bullying any longer! The taunts and...
Leaving England

0.0 (0)
Sometime around now an unnamed virus has laid London and...
Top Choice

0.0 (0)
A female-run society. An ambitious girl driven to become its’...

Latest Member Reviews

Poison Ivy: Thorns

"Let me start with the artwork. This was so beautifully done and I loved every single panel. It really pulled..."
Lies My Memory Told Me

"What I Loved: In Lies my Memory Told Me, Nova is the daughter of the people who created Enhanced Memory...."
The Dead and the Dark

"THE DEAD AND THE DARK is a deliciously creepy paranormal thriller/horror. Logan lives with her two fathers, who co-host a..."
The Great Destroyers

"THE GREAT DESTROYERS is an intriguing alternate history that brings robot fighting into the Cold War. Jo is a teenager..."
Fresh

"FRESH is an entertaining and thought-provoking coming-of-age story. Elliott is a middle child, heading to college far from home at..."
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

"ILLUSIONARY is a beautifully written sequel in a strong YA fantasy duology. The book begins after the first ended, with..."
Bluebird

"It's 1946 and Eva and her friend Brigit leave behind destroyed Berlin for New York City. Eva carries a deadly..."
Incendiary (Hollow Crown #1)

"INCENDIARY is an intriguing YA fantasy with rebellion, magic, and intrigue. Renata was stolen from her parents as a child..."
Love and Other Sins

"Read it in one sitting and can’t wait to read the next one!!"

"This was definitely an interesting book. I really enjoyed all of the witchy aspects of the book! It starts off..."
Small Favors

"SMALL FAVORS is a compelling, spooky, and atmospheric YA fantasy/horror that keeps the reader guessing. Ellerie is a young woman..."
Sidelined

"Julian is looking forward to his senior year in Meridien, Texas. He wants to play football and hopefully get scouted..."