Review Detail

Speechless FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 4986
Actions really do speak louder than words sometimes.
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I've been eagerly awaiting this sophomore offering from Hannah Harrington (Saving June was one of my favorite reads of 2011) and Speechless does not disappoint!

This cover is so unique! It's minimalist but it incorporates several elements of the story which is why I think it works.

Speechless is a poignant example of the power that words can have. Our words have the capacity to build up or tear down, to encourage or destroy. How we use our words is just one way we define who we are as a person but there are times when words aren't enough and action is required.

Chelsea Knot is your typical teenager whose main focus is on being popular and the coveted position she holds as being BFF to Miss Popularity herself, Kristen. While Kristen is known for being beautiful and the girl everyone want to be, Chelsea is known for being the school's gossip queen. She thrives on collecting other peoples secrets (and blabbing them) the way some girls collect shoes or boys collect vintage comic books. But when her words nearly cost a fellow student his life, Chelsea decides to take a vow of silence.

In doing so, she'll have the chance to examine the choices she's made and the person she's become but it will cost her. She experiences a fall from grace that is swift and harsh.

"Everyone loves kicking the popular girl the second she's been knocked off the pedestal."

People she thought she could rely on don't come through, forcing Chelsea to make new friends in Asha and Sam. Asha is a great example of unconditional love, offering friendship to Chelsea when no one else will. She sees the good in people when there doesn't seem to be any and she's always willing to offer second chances.

Sam is not only Cheslea's partner on a class project but also happens to be best friends with the student who nearly died as a result of her actions. He's the last person Chelsea expects to find friendship with and by rights, he should hate her but he doesn't. Sam is unlike anyone she's ever met and his kindness and compassion catch her completely off guard. The more time they spend together the more Chelsea realizes that what she's been longing for may have been right under her loose lips the whole time. (It's amazing what we find when we start seeing things clearly.)

Throughout the story, Chelsea often questions both her decision to speak up and her vow of silence, doubting whether either was really worth it. She also struggles with the concept of forgiveness both giving and receiving it and she's forced to learn a hard lesson about what matters most and how sometimes, actions really do speak louder than words.

This really is a great read! It's realistic and the subject matter is completely relevant to today's culture. While it definitely has it's moments that are difficult to get through, Harrington's ability to infuse humor into even the most heartbreaking situations is refreshing.

Regardless of your opinions about homosexuality the one constant is that every human being is worthy and deserving of love and respect. It isn't always easy to love someone, especially when they've hurt you but it's what we're called to do; to love one another.

"Hate is...it's too easy. Love. Love takes courage."

This book also includes a discussion guide in the back with some great questions.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

0.0 (0)
Sometimes a battle isn't waged on a bloody field. ...
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Red Queen,...

0.0 (0)
The world is brimming full of incredible inventions - but...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
The night my sister was born, the stars died and...

0.0 (0)
He thinks she's shallow, she thinks he's a nerd. What...
Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

0.0 (0)
A groovy New York Times bestseller! ...
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

0.0 (0)
If you knew that creating singularity between your mind...
Our Year of Love and Parties

0.0 (0)
In this poignant, funny, and romantic novel, four nights...
Strayborn

0.0 (0)
Elemental Manipulation is tricky. Only those with the power can...
The Path Divided

0.0 (0)
Every choice has a consequence. When a magical picture...

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Marlee Stanley joins her two sisters and the...
Shadowscent

0.0 (0)
An Ember in the Ashes meets Indiana Jones in...
Reverie

0.0 (0)
Inception meets The Magicians, except with better wigs and...
Dark Saints Academy: The Soul Catcher

0.0 (0)
They call me the Dark Queen… Ryleigh...
Scarred

0.0 (0)
Life leaves you scarred. Love can make you beautiful....

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....

Latest Member Reviews

Pippin No Lickin'

"As a family with 2 busy boys, 14 and 12, we appreciate Layne’s contribution to helping children understand the importance..."
Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

"'Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party' by Kimberly & James Dean is a cute story about friendship and..."
The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly)

"Agatha loves the work of Detective Hercule Poirot. He's actually her imaginary friend and she uses his work to influence..."
Starfell: Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)

"STARFELL is a charming and magic-filled middle grade fantasy that sweeps young readers away into another world. Willow Moss seemed..."
Journey of the Pale Bear

"What an adventure I just had! From the moment, I opened the book, I was transported to the 13th century..."
Hey Grandude!

"'Hey Grandude!' by Paul McCartney, illustrated by Kathryn Durst, is a fun, colorful, and exciting adventure. The illustrations enhance the..."
The Peacock Detectives

"THE PEACOCK DETECTIVES is a story told by a young narrator, who is in Grade 6 but reads at a..."
Big Nate: Back to Back Hits: On a Roll and Goes for Broke

"This is a combination of two Big Nate novels; Big Nate on a Roll and Big Nate Goes For Broke...."
The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

"I have never read the original Artemis Fowl books but now I absolutely intend to. The Fowl Twins is highly..."
Amelia Bedelia & Friends: Beat the Clock

"Brilliant. This was the perfect book to read with my five year old niece. It's every bit as..."
Amelia Bedelia & Friends: The Cat's Meow

"Cute and Fun There's no end to the adorableness of Amelia Bedelia and this book is no different. Amelia..."
The Monster Hypothesis

"THE MONSTER HYPOTHESIS is a really fun middle grade investigative mystery. Kick is living with her grandmother, a fake psychic..."
Carnevil (Monsterstreet #3)

"Ren and Kip aren't sure what to expect when they visit their Aunt for Halloween. She works at an Old..."
Stuffed

"STUFFED follows Clark and Foon. Clark is a boy who loves stuffed animals and feels that they keep him safe...."
The Edge of the Word (Mightier than the Sword, #2)

"THE EDGE OF THE WORD is another absolutely delightful interactive story, where you are the main character in the book...."
Rat Rule 79: An Adventure (Yonder, #1)

"RAT RULE 79 is charming, ridiculous, and completely engaging. Fred is about to turn thirteen in a new place, as..."
Magic Tree House Deluxe Holiday Edition: Christmas in Camelot

"Jack and Annie get an invitation from "M" to spend Christmas in Camelot, which excites them since they haven't heard..."
Awesome Dog 5000 (#1)

"Marty Fontana and his mother move to a new town for her job, and have a house that belonged to..."
The Big Game

"Danny lives in Texas with his mother and former Pittsburgh Steelers player father, who now sells farm machinery. The father..."
Pippa Park Raises Her Game

"Pippa loves to play basketball and struggles a tiny bit in school. She lives with her much older sister, Mina,..."