Monument 14 Featured
Young Adult Fiction 2751
Apocalyptic Times
(Updated: June 14, 2012)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Had Dean known the destruction that would occur on his way to school, he might not have run to make the bus. After a freakish rock hailstorm causes the bus to crash, killing many of the passengers, Dean and several others manage to escape when the elementary bus driver picks them up and crashes the bus right into a Greenway store. Mrs. Wooly helps the children clean up and get to work on making pizza, but then takes off to find help, leaving Brayden in charge. Josie is in shock, Astrid knows how to work the pizza oven, and Dean's brother Alex is a tech geek who realizes that the computer network being down is a very bad thing. The children band together to take care of the elementary students. Niko, who lives in the mountains and is a Boy Scout, tries to get everyone to conserve energy and supplies. The devastation was caused by a volcano, which sets off a tsunami that takes out the East coast and also causes an earth quake in Colorado, where the story is set. The earthquake damages NORAD facilities and releases toxic chemicals into the air that affect people differently based on their blood type. Things look exceedingly grim, and the students deal with this in their own way. Brayden and his friend cope by drinking and playing laser tag, Josie sets up a school for the children, and Dean finds himself in charge of food with 8-year-old Batiste. Eventually, everyone feels that they should leave the store, but what will they find on the outside?
Good Points
Very good post apocalyptic stuff! All the adults are gone AND they are in a Walmart like superstore. Doesn't every middle schooler have a dream scenario like this? (In mine, all the kids were in my middle school, which was across the street from the mall and next door to a K Mart.) The details of survival are very good, and the reason for the devastation believable. I was riveted. Fans of Northrup's Trapped will enjoy this.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Elemental Manipulation is tricky. Only those with the power can...

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Marlee Stanley joins her two sisters and the...

0.0 (0)
They call me the Dark Queen… Ryleigh...

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...
Outlawed

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...
The Path We Take

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...
Half-Blood Mage

0.0 (0)
A cursed dragon hunter A half-blood mage...

0.0 (0)
If genetic engineering could guarantee you and your family perfect...
Slayer (Slayer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into every generation a Slayer is born… ...
Magic Bound

0.0 (0)
Starting a new school is never easy and this time...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. ...
Dealing in Dreams

0.0 (0)
The Outsiders meets Mad Max: Fury Road in this fast-paced...
Girls With Sharp Sticks (Girls With Sharp Sticks, #1)

0.0 (0)
Some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Beneath a Sinister Moon

"Wow besides the awesome title Beneath A Sinister Moon the inside of this book is even better. Things I wanted..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"If you thought Book 1 Between the Bleeding Willows was great you haven't read nothing yet. Within the Darkest Hollows..."
Between the Bleeding Willows

"After Cassidy Ravanaugh's boyfriend Jace dies she goes to find a ring that he had been wearing. but get gets..."
Beneath a Sinister Moon

"An amazing conclusion to this epic paranormal series! It did leave it open for the possibilities of more books but..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"Another amazing book in this series! These definitely need to be read in order to be enjoyed and understood. I..."
Between the Bleeding Willows

"An exciting and fast paced read, that draws you in from the first page. I really felt for Cassidy. She's..."
Fate (Drift saga book #4)

"This is the 4th book in the Drift saga. Great read for young ones and adults alike."
Fading Away

"I finished editing Fading Away not long ago and I fell in love with my characters all over again. This..."
Burn (Drift Saga #3)

"The Drift series just keeps getting better with every book! Book 3 was fast paced and definitely hard to put..."
Salvation (The Guardian Angel #3)

"Not sure what your favorite supernatural beings are? Check out Salvation by Skyla Madi for a taste of goddesses, vampires..."
Grishma (Necoh Saga #1)

"I’ve always been a big fan of paranormal books. I crave the escape of reality into a better world with..."
Grishma (Necoh Saga #1)

"I’ve always been a big fan of paranormal books. I crave the escape of reality into a better world with..."